Kurt Cobain Converse

threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
edited April 2008 in Other Music
condescending and sarcastic since 1980
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    Don't know how I feel about these. Love the fact that they're a tribute to Kurt, but it also seems like a sad attempt to cash in on his name.

On the fence...
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• threefish10threefish10 Posts: 7,392
    Don't know how I feel about these. Love the fact that they're a tribute to Kurt, but it also seems like a sad attempt to cash in on his name.

On the fence...

well Courtney has to buy crack somehow
    condescending and sarcastic since 1980
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,591
    I have already ordered these! My best friends girlfriend is a shoe queen here in Norway, owning some of the biggest shoes stores. As soon as she told me about them, I knew I had to have them. Thx for the pictures!
    I will swallow poison
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Courtney Love can burn in Hell!!!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    stoneg wrote:
    Courtney Love can burn in Hell!!!

Exactly - I guess the estate needs more money. Kurt would have NEVER done a commercial or anything like that. Now, Courtney hasn't put his name on anything like this (outside of music & box sets) before.......but now she's selling him out.

And yeah, I don't really want a replica of the shoes Kurt was wearing when he killed himself - that's pretty weird.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    I think they are creepy, weird and kind of lame. Not anywhere near as bad as selling the publishing rights to the guy's personal diary (which was in unbelievably bad taste), but still pretty bad.
  • Don't know how I feel about these. Love the fact that they're a tribute to Kurt, but it also seems like a sad attempt to cash in on his name.

On the fence...

Agreed.

Although I don't understand why they have to release a pair that are already worn? I spend months wearing mine in to get that effect... I feel cheated...
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Creepy and tasteless.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • DocChicago wrote:
    Creepy and tasteless.

Agreed. Courtney shamelessly cashing in. And, they look terrible.
    san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
  • Agreed.

Although I don't understand why they have to release a pair that are already worn? I spend months wearing mine in to get that effect... I feel cheated...

If you wore in that pair for months, you'd get them down to nothing but a pile of ground white dust. :)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    He probably wouldn't have liked it. then again, he didn't like a lot of stuff.
  • butterfly1 wrote:
    He probably wouldn't have liked it. then again, he didn't like a lot of stuff.

He probably wouldn't have liked a majority of the people who will buy his shoes.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    He probably wouldn't have liked a majority of the people who will buy his shoes.

yeah..that's funny....heck he probably wouldn't like Courtney any more either ha ha....
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    yeah, very creepy!

Not sure how I feel about this.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    it's an embarrassment and no true fan of his would buy them. I have no problem with artists doing whatever they want with their name or their work, but everybody knows he would've never done this in a million years so it's an insult to him. the whore is lucky that he was naive and drugged up enough to marry her and leave her everything, but if she's dumb enough to have blown all the money, she should not be allowed to do things with his name and work that he never would've approved of.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Yea, I dont think he woulda wanted that. Besides mine already look like that :D
    But anyway, I read the description, and it sounded so bad. Like they were just cashing in on a dead artist that happened to wear chucks.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    I am pretty sure Kurt would be fuckin' upset and angry about even the idea of this shit! Shame on Courtney Hole, you are even more disgusting than I had thought before!!!
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Well that's fucking grotesque...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834

He probably wouldn't have liked most of the knob-heads who bought his music - you don't sell ten million records and expect all of those people to be hardcore music lovers, a good amount of those people just buy whatever's popular at the time.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread. I don't really have an issue with the shoes. I think some people need to realise that regardeless of his musical output, Kurt is a cultural icon. I know people feel an emotional bond to the music, but aside from that, to the mainstream he's just another wild rock star that died too young. I'm sure he wouldn't have wanted his name used in such an obvious way, but he's become an enduring poster boy for maladjusted teenagers and twenty-somethings the world over, which was fueled by his rock star behaviour when he died; behaviour he chose to play out in a very public arena.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who feel emotionally connected to all sorts of dead singers and celebrities, but I think you have to kind of seperate how you feel and just see it for what it is. In this case, considering the popularity of converse shoes among alt-rock kids, I don't think this is the worst use of his name. If it was being used to sell Pepsi or something then there might be a point.

PS. I think the shoes look kind of tacky.....
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Cobain is turning into a kind of Che Guevara type figure. I don't really care, Courtney Love did bang Alan Partridge after all.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    When are they going to stop marketing this tool?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • faithful227faithful227 Posts: 352
    When are they going to stop marketing this tool?

When people stop liking money.

Disagree with the tool comment, but to each their own :)
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08