Options

Saw THE STROKES over the weekend!!!! GOOD, GOOOD TIMES!!

VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
edited March 2006 in Other Music
This show can easily be summed up with one word and one word alone~~~>FUN!!!!!! (((:D)) Ahhh it was such a great time!! Probably one of the most fun shows I have ever been to. Ever!

The Eagles of Death Metal kicked things into gear!! HA! OMG! I can't even talk about this band without laughing. Fuckin hilarious! What a perfect way to start the fun-filled night. Everywhere you looked people were crackin up. Josh and his cool guy,cheeseball, biker dude prescence! Too much to handle! His dance moves were funny as hell too-that paired up with the funny ass lyrics and his random shot outs for "ROCK N ROLL"...."Let's hear it for ROCK N ROLL! Let's here if for THE LADIES!!" LOL!! Again, perfect way to start of the night. A total playful party vibe was established right away.

The show was sold out and the place was PACKED to the max!!! During Eagles of Death Metal we just kinda watched from an elevated distance. But before our beloved Strokeys hit the stage we were determined to get a close spot on the floor (even though the chances of that seemed extremely slim..again, the place was PACKED!!!!). We tried squeezing our way through the crowd and made it to a few "middle" locations which we quickly decided were NOT gonna work. I personally cannot enjoy GA shows if I'm squished and on a flat surface with a sea of tall heads in front of me (I mean who can??). So we figured fuck it, lets atleast try to get closer. We made our way up to the front FRONT and shockingly found a huuuuuge open space directly in front of the left hand side of the stage. Unfuckinbeliveable! :eek: It was as if it was just reserved and waiting for us. We quickly swooped our perfect spot and prepared to get Stroke-i-fied. The break inbetween bands seemed like an eternity. There were teasing us to the extreme. We were all on the verge of combustion! Everyone around us was really cool. We all agreed to team up and not let anyone else squeeze through our little area as things were full but still really comfy (tons of room to move around) . It was so awesome to be at a GA show where people were working together and looking out for one another. These are the GA shows I'm talking about!!!

So finally the lights went down and, after a little more teasing, The Strokes finally hit the stage! Opening up with You Only Live Once! Perfect!!! It sounded sooooo good. I fuckin LOVE this song and it really is such an awesome album/show opener...creates an awesome mood. Everyone was singing along and bouncing all over the place. The excitement was intoxicating and there were honestly smiles ALL around. :D After the song we cheered our asses off. Julian was totally taken back and said something like, "San Francisco you're blowing our minds! We had no idea!!" He was giving us lots of lovin throughout the night. At one point some guy in the front was givin HIM lots of love to which he responded happily, "Ahhh man love." :p Cute little moment. I fuckin love man love.

I need to just say that these guys have the BEST energy. Julian is an awesome frontman--very down to earth and fun. The entire band just oozes fun and togetherness.... friends that love each other, just wanna play music and have a good time. At one point Albert and Nick had a little hug break on the side of the stage. :D Fuckin love it. Lots of love and good times. I swear this fun, playful togetherness was everywhere...the band, the crowd!! Ahhh it was soooo beautiful.

Since this isnt violent rockin out music, all of us were just way bouncy and dancing all over the place. There was an instant friend vibe flowing throughout the crowd. Our whole little area was really united. We'd turn to each other and freak out during certain songs...we'd hold onto one another while we were bouncing in sync. :D Good, gooooood times.

This setlist could not have been more perfect! From what I remember....

Killing Lies
Red Light
Ask Me Anything
Vision of Division~~> a fav from the new album! Sounded sooo good live! These guitar sounds were unreal!
Electricityscape ~~> someone in front yelled for it and Julian honored the request :)
Heart in A Cage!!~~>I can't even express how awesome this kick ass song was!!! :D
The End Has No End!!! :D YES! One of my favs for damn sure. This song rocked us to bits.
Soma!!
Take It Or Leave It ~~> closed the show with this! Going out with a big ass fun, rockin bang!

Last Night & Juicebox ~~> Crowd was soooo crazy into these! Daaaamn!:D Between us and the band I'm surprised the roof was not blown off. Juicebox is outta control live too!! :eek:

I can't remember everything that was played but those are ones that definitely stood out.

They also busted out 2 obsessed favs (Major highlight for sure)

*12:51 ~~> HELL YES!! LOOOOVE THIS SONG~~ crowd clappin along, so much fun!
*REPTILIA ~~> FULL ON FREAK OUT!!! OMG they made my life when they busted this out!!! :D

Oooooh, they did a Ramones cover as well and between songs Julian started singing some DOORS!!! YES!!!! "You're looooost little girl" :o:D It may have just been one line but fuck, it sounded so amazing!! I wish he woulda kept going. This man's unique voice suits Morrison perfectly. I could not believe how great that sounded. Julian can fuckin sing!!! Seriously! His voice sounds kick ass on the records but it soars in a live setting. Unbelievably great live. He was hitting everything dead on and then some. He shined especially bright during Ask Me Anything(which is even trippier live). Really blew me away.

This entire show blew me away. Did I mention how much fun it was??? :D I got really into these guys when a friend exposed me to them shortly after Room On Fire came out. For whatever fuckin reason I had not yet experienced them live up until now. Well shit, I've been missing out and I'm already thristy for more.This was also my 1st show of this magical musical year and it could not have been a better one.

In summary, if these boys are on their way to a town near you and if you're looking for a gooooood, fun, super rockin time...this is a show not to miss! :) GO GET STROKE-I-FIED! You will not regret it! :D
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    Cool to see you had a blast and it was kind of interesting reading all that. Wouldn't say I'm a Strokes fan but I'm sure they can put on a crazy show.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,066
    Would have been great if they had taken the PJ tour.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I just got tickets for thier show in may here and I am so stoked for the strokes as it were. This only makes things better, thanks for the review
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    leethalleethal Posts: 134
    That sounds awesome, i cant wait to see them live. I saw them once at the Big Day out but i really want to hear there new sonds live. They would sound really unique i think. Even though FIOE has recieved mixed reviews there is no denying how unique some of their songs are. I love RED LIGHT
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    First Impressions of Earth is fucking amazing..... I'd love to see these guys live. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    fuck, i cant stand this band :)
  • Options
    PJ PookPJ Pook Posts: 109
    I contemplated getting tickets for their show when I heard they were coming through town. I have never seen them live before. Not a huge fan but don't mind their music. Then they announced the tour and realized I won't be able to make it. Sorry, May 10th I will be in T.O. rockin' out to PJ!
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I'd be more excited for Eagles of Death Metal. I think you mentioned they opened.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Sounds like a fun show. I saw them the last time they were out and it was great.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    wow, you remember alot of detail :)

Thanks for the story, you should work for a rock magazine writing concert reviews :)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    Wow you do remember a lot! I saw them in 2002 and I'm not a huge fan but it totally was a fun show, not sure I'd go again though,tix are probably a lot more now.
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I saw them in '04 and I was't very impressed. Julian was wasted, and to me, most of their songs just sound the same. They have some OK-ish songs, but nothing to freak out about in my opinion.

Glad you had fun though.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    GalianaGaliana Posts: 554
    I'm still waiting for them to announce Florida dates. (sigh) :(
    Don't threaten me with a good time.