\M/ETAL : A Headbanger's Journey

VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Has anyone else seen this documentary? I did just recently.
It's pretty kick ass! I love how it's done from the standpoint of a straight up metalhead! I also loooved his breakdown of the Metal family tree.
Fuckin awesome!

Anyways, highly recommend it. :D

http://www.metalhistory.com/
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    LOvE It! LOvE It! LOvE It!:D even though Mayhem creeped me out. :confused: But it was cool that the filmmaker interviewed his favorite frontman, Bruce, from Iron Maiden.:) seeing it made me appreciate metal even MORE! :cool:
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Has anyone else seen this documentary? I did just recently.
    It's pretty kick ass! I love how it's done from the standpoint of a straight up metalhead! I also loooved his breakdown of the Metal family tree.
    Fuckin awesome!

Anyways, highly recommend it. :D

http://www.metalhistory.com/

looks awesome! i will definitely check this out. thanks for sharing vedhead, i likely would not have heard of it otherwise. :)
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Definitely Nadi! Eeek and I agree about Mayhem. CREEPY!!!

You are very welcome for the heads up mook! Trust me this is a definite must see for YOU. I personally thought it coulda focused on METALLICA a bit more and I thought no mention of Megadeath was kinda strange...but dude had a LOT to cover in a short amount of time and I really think he did an incredible job of it.

The evolution of metal! I just think it's so cool that a film like this exists. :)

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • oh yeah i saw this on vh1 classic a while back, very interesting to watch! that mayhem stuff was waaaay far out there, also when they were talkin about church arson :eek: scary stuff!

but definitely for the rest, very neat to see the history of metal laid out
  • The best was when everone was doing the sign of the beast and then the guy form mayem very scarily flips the guy the bird. :)
    www.myspace.com/olafvonmastadon
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    sounds cool..maybe i should check it out since i noticed the soundtrack has Sabbath and Slayer!
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    There's also a sequel to this documentary where he investigates more into the Norwegian metal scene as far as I recall! Gaahl from Gorgoroth is one odd man - but I love the way Pearl Jam are there in the "grunge metal" section :p
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • DELETEDDELETED Posts: 421
  • i saw it today. great fucking watch (whether you like metal or not).

the "gaahl" dude from gorgoroth is one sick bastard.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    I'v seen it, it is really good, but there was just some things that REALLY pissed me off, the part about the women, how they said that women can never EVER be as good as men are as a metal artist, I cried about that so much out of pure fuckin' anger! also (no offense to Slayer fans, but), I found out Slayer are not fuckin' satanics! they fake that for "a great fuckin' title"?!
    I swear, I would rather a person be a satanic rather than someone who fakes being one for the sake of "entertainment"! I couldn't care less weather somebody is satanic or not, just don't fuckin' instill something so important into a young, still growing indivisual's mind when you don't believe it your own goddamn self! they are just feeding this pathetic waste that fucked up teenagers believe they possesse! I'm sorry, I went off like a fuckin' jet, didn't I...oh, well.

Were you pissed off whenever you found out Arnie wasn't really a terminator? Like they said, it is theatrics, to compliment the music and sometimes as a satirical mechanism. Anyone with half a brain can work this out, or find it out with a bit of research, as for the kids, well, that wouldn't be a problem with some better parenting, maybe the parent talkin to them about it, and clearing things up.
    BTW, I'm not laying into you, in case thats how it comes across :)
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    (no offense to Slayer fans, but), I found out Slayer are not fuckin' satanics! they fake that for "a great fuckin' title"?!
    I swear, I would rather a person be a satanic rather than someone who fakes being one for the sake of "entertainment"!
    that's one thing i don't like aboot Slayer that it is somewhat of a gimmick but hey it works well for their music and they still are producing solid albums so i just ignore the gimmick thing not to deprive meself of some of the best music i have heard in me life.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    Well, wether good parenting or not, I still think they're fucked as a person to act as though they believe in something that is THAT important just to sell records, tickets, or whatever when in actuality, the DON'T believe in it. People get influenced by others' beliefs, teenagers are most effected in my opinion, as they're still trying to find their own beliefs and not secure with that part of their lives yet, most of the time...But that's just my 2 cents in this goofy arguement, everybody has their own opinion, I geusse.

Tom Araya (Bassist and singer) is a christian. Any biography will tell you that. How can someone get this mixed up? Like I said, anyone with half a brain can know that they are not satanic. Plus, Slayer aren't satanic, they are anarchical. Once again ignorance is shown, the label of satanic is thrown at them because they don't conform to societal standards of morality.
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
    Binaural wrote:
    ...Once again ignorance is shown...

Mhm, and that's why I edited this shit 8 months later after I came across it again. (Yes, frankly, I was an ignorant fuck...apologies.)
  • MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    for me, the best part of the documentary was when he interviewed Bruce Dickinson. :)

I didn't know there was a sequel to this one. I have to check it out.
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Definitely Nadi! Eeek and I agree about Mayhem. CREEPY!!!

You are very welcome for the heads up mook! Trust me this is a definite must see for YOU. I personally thought it coulda focused on METALLICA a bit more and I thought no mention of Megadeath was kinda strange...but dude had a LOT to cover in a short amount of time and I really think he did an incredible job of it.

The evolution of metal! I just think it's so cool that a film like this exists. :)

i watched this documentary this morning and i was incredibly impressed! :) i'll watch it again later on today.

such a professional job for a guy from victoria just doing a story about music he grew up with and loved, and travelling around the world to document different stories and points of view. good questions, great interviews, and so well done considering it was done from a fan's perspective. i guess that's why it is so credible.

the seemless editing from the classical music into guitar solos, the interviews in norway, the music...all outstanding! i couldn't believe the number of big names he was able to interview.

like you said, unfortunately not much of metallica aside from a few clips, but at least the outro was "master of puppets" :)

i think my favourite part was when he was talking to rob zombie and rob says something about being a slayer fan and he says that you won't hear anybody say that...oh yeah, i was a slayer fan one summer :D...essentially growing up with metal and your favourite bands and that they stay with you...very cool.

the interview with bruce dickinson was also a high point...he kind of made it feel like it could be any fan doing this and talking to the people they grew up listening to. i can't say anough about this movie!

thanks for letting me know about it vedhead! :) i still owe you a myspace comment...i logged in long enough to change my song back to "orion" :D

...oh, and i forgot...the countdown at the beginning of the film that stopped at 6, then became 666 was brilliant!
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    This sounds intersting. I just put it on my Netflix queu.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho