Zeppelin catalog goes all digital this November.

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
edited October 2007 in Other Music
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003658345
October 15, 2007, 9:45 AM ET

Lars Brandle, London
Led Zeppelin will end its digital music holdout when Warner Music Group makes the legendary rock outfit's entire catalog available to download starting Nov. 13. All online music retailers will offer the group's full albums or a la carte downloads on that date.

Through a new exclusive partnership, Verizon Wireless will become the first mobile music service provider to deliver Led Zeppelin full-song over-the-air downloads, ringtones, ringback tones, alert tones and wallpapers.

"The addition of the digital option will better enable fans to obtain our music in whichever manner that they prefer," Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page says in a statement.

The digital release program is timed to coincide with the release that day of the 24-track, two-CD Atlantic/Rhino compilation "Mothership," which spans the band's 12-year career.

On Nov. 20, a newly remixed and remastered version of the "The Song Remains The Same" soundtrack will be reissued with six songs that were not on the original album.

The British rockers will reform for a one-off performance on Nov. 26 at London's O2 Arena to salute Atlantic Records co-founder and chairman emeritus Ahmet Ertegun, who died last December. The band recorded for Atlantic its entire career.
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Long overdue. What other major holdouts are there? Beatles, Floyd?
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    That's cool and all but you can but the actual cds cheaper then what itunes is offering. At my local store i can get 3 led zepplin albums for £10! SWEET. Ebay is a great place to get cheap cds.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    mole1985 wrote:
    That's cool and all but you can but the actual cds cheaper then what itunes is offering. At my local store i can get 3 led zepplin albums for £10! SWEET. Ebay is a great place to get cheap cds.

I don't see how people can justify buyin off itunes. You pay a couple more bucks and you generally get somethin nifty to look at with the liner notes, plus a hard copy of the album. Itunes is the biggest swindle in history. Does make it easier to get b-sides though.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    I buy the one off tracks off itunes. I've only bought two albums off itunes - Live - Throwing copper because it was £5.45 and Eleven's Howling book beacuse i couldn't find it anywhere. I guess it's probably a storage issue then anything else or maybe you can have it there and then (which i must admit tempts me sometimes). But i got an emusic subscription and i got 4 albums for £11.99. It would cost more then that for ONE cd in HMV.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I use itunes for some bands that are harder to find. I can't always find the bands albums i'm looking for at best buy etc thta usualy have the good prices. So i can either go to my local indie store (that is a 30 minute drive from my house in the suburbs) and pay 14-18 dollars for a cd. OR i can have instant satisfaction and download it from itunes for 9.99

Also i like itunes for groups that have just one or two songs i like buy them.

As for Led Zepplin the bigger question i would like to have answered is why the hell did they wait so freakin long to do this.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22