edited January 2006 in Other Music
NEW WEB SITE TO FEATURE VINTAGE ROCK 'N' RARITIES

Sunday Business
NEW WEB SITE TO FEATURE VINTAGE ROCK 'N' RARITIES
By MARINA VATAJ

15 January 2006
New York Post
English

A nascent rock memorabilia Web site hopes to raise its profile later this month when it begins streaming rarely seen vintage concert videos from the '60s and '70s.

Videos of Bruce Springsteen's first West Coast concert, in 1978, where he opened for Blood, Sweat & Tears; a young and quite shy Robert Plant fronting Led Zeppelin; Bob Dylan; The Who; Bob Marley; and scores of others will be shown at the site, called Wolfgangsvault.com.

The site, named after Wolfgang Grajonca, the birth name of legendary rock promoter Bill Graham, has been selling concert tickets, original posters, T-shirts, mugs, photos and other authentic items from rock concerts Graham promoted in the '60s and '70s.

The site launched nearly three years ago when businessman Bill Sagan, 55, bought the contents of the Graham estate from Clear Channel Communications Inc. for $5 million.

While customers ranging from college students to 60-year-old baby boomers have been snatching up the original merchandise, the highlight of the Graham collection has to be the videos.

Up until Sagan bought the dusty and poorly-inventoried collection, no one even knew the videos existed.

It wasn't until Sagan opened up the hundreds of boxes in a West Coast warehouse that he discovered more than 5,000 of the most "amazing, never-seen-before rock 'n' roll performances of all time."

These videos reveal unseen moments including the legendary 1973 Tanglewood concert with the six greatest rock bands of the era, as well as The Who's last performance with drummer Keith Moon. Then there's the image of Robert Plant, in his early days with Led Zeppelin, uncomfortably small-talking the audience up.

"No one really knew that thousands of these performances were so well-preserved," Sagan admits. "We still don't know how many there are and what exactly they are."

Sagan and his small 14-member staff are in the process of converting these audio and video performances into digital format for their Web radio launch. Because they own the master recordings, they are legally able to stream the music.

OLD TIME ROCK 'N' ROLL: Vintage footage of rock legends will soon become available for free from Wolfgangsvault.com. Bob Dylan, 1972; Stevie Nicks, 1975; blondie, 1979; Bruce Springsteen, circa 1978. (Joe Sia/Wolgang's Vault)
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Awesome. That is great news. I knew some of that stuff was out there. Can't wait to see them. Thanks!
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."