VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,918
edited April 2006 in Other Music
News
Stairway to Heaven
By ROBIN TURNER Western Mail
11 April 2006
The Western Mail
English

On November 8, 1971, British rock group Led Zeppelin's fourth album went on sale and contained within it was a track which would become what is generally accepted to be the greatest rock song of all time. And Stairway to Heaven, the most played rock track on US and British radio, has its origins in Wales. At Bron yr Aur, in a stone cottage in South Snowdonia back in 1970, Zeppelin singer Robert Plant began writing the lyrics, a haunting tale about a woman who accumulates money, but finds out the hard way her life had no meaning and will not get her into heaven.

Plant had been influenced by a book he was reading at the time by the Scottish occult expert Lewis Spence called Magic Arts in Celtic Britain.

A few months later, in the more stately surroundings of Headley Grange in Worcester, Plant finished off the famous song with its co-author, guitar legend Jimmy Page.

The track was finally laid down at Island Studios in London in December 1970 and included on Led Zeppelin IV, an untitled album which became known as 'Sticks' because of the cover art work.

The album, featuring the group's earthy guitar and drum work with Plant's howling lyrics was a major success.

And the eight-minute Stairway to Heaven was a sensation in the world of rock.

The lyrics may have been difficult to understand, but they touched on myth and legend and coupled with the delicate, then furious fretwork of Jimmy Page, plus the deep, rich, soulful calls of singer Robert Plant, Stairway to Heaven won a place in the hearts of millions across the world.

It almost became a victim of its own success and even Robert Plant balked at playing it so often, referring to it as 'that damn wedding song'.

Music shops even banned youths from playing the song's well-worn riffs on test guitars with 'no Stairway' signs.

But familiarity failed to breed real contempt for the Zeppelin epic.

And just last month it won yet another poll, naming the track as having the ultimate guitar solo of all time.

Stairway beat off competition from Van Halen's Eruption and Guns 'n' Roses' Paradise City in the vote by almost 2,000 readers of British magazine Total Guitar.

The publication's editor Stephen Lawson said, 'I'm not surprised that Stairway to Heaven is number one - not only is Jimmy Page's solo incredible, ballsy and a bit flash, but also brilliantly structured.'

The song has not enjoyed universal popularity.

In 1982, a California State Assembly consumer protection committee hearing featured testimony from 'experts' who claimed that Stairway, when played backwards, contained the words, 'I sing because I live with Satan. The Lord turns me off... there's no escaping it. Here's to my sweet Satan, whose power is Satan.'

It was never proved.

On January 23, 1991, John Sebastian, owner and general manager of KLSK FM in Albuquerque, New Mexico, played the song for 24 solid hours to inaugurate a format change to classic rock.

It played more than 200 times, eliciting hundreds of angry calls and letters.

Police showed up with guns drawn, once after a listener reported that the DJ had apparently been killed.

Robin Turner The top 10 guitar solos according to Total Guitar are: 1. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven (1971) 2. Van Halen - Eruption (1978) 3. Guns 'n' Roses - Paradise City (1987) 4. The Eagles - Hotel California (1976) 5. Metallica - Enter Sandman (1991) 6. Cream - Crossroads (1968) 7. Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (1968) 8. Ozzy Osbourne - Crazy Train (1980) 9. Free - All Right Now (1971) 10. Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody(1975).: Both Blair and Saddam were big fans:The lyrics of Stairway to Heaven took several months to complete and are on the lips of most 40-50 somethings who remember the song as youngsters. Rather uninspiring on paper, the 'Woe oh, oh, oh, oh, oh....she's buying a stairway to heaven' section has been sung over and over in bathroom mirrors across the land.

Quite why 'The piper will lead us to reason' and 'The forest will echo with laughter' has never really been established, even by lyric writer Robert Plant himself.

The song has a soft, slow acoustic guitar and recorder introduction followed by fast and furious rock guitar work.

Devoted fans of the song include people as diverse as former US presidents Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton, Nelson Mandela, Tony Blair and Saddam Hussein.
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    There's a feeling I get when I look to my waist.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    I hear demons speak to me when I play Alvin and the chipmunks
    backwards.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Robert Plant wrote the majority of the lyrics in the time it took Jimmy Page to play the song. It didnt take months, it took minutes. I am sure there was some touchin up, but all parties that were present have supported that story.
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    It was this song that got me into Led Zep. My dad was playing it and I noticed it. Wouldn't say it's my fav song by them though.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    that is such a shitty guitar solo list.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I like Stairway to Heaven a lot but I have to say it's not my favorite Zep song. I like the story and structure of How Many More Times the most.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,255
    I firmly believe that The Rain Song is a better song than Stairway. IF only it was better known it'd get the praise it deserves :)
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    no stairway.
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I love Stairway but No Quarter is my fav Zep song.
  • Options
    JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    I love Stairway to Heaven, but Communication Breakdown, Moby Dick and going to california are also on top of the Zeppeln-list
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • Options
    leethalleethal Posts: 134
    edved82 wrote:
    I firmly believe that The Rain Song is a better song than Stairway. IF only it was better known it'd get the praise it deserves :)

I agree with you one 100 percent. Musically and lyrically the Rain Song is superior. The rain song lacks a guitar solo i suppose but it doesn't need one.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    stairway to heaven? no thank you.
    to me it's always sounded like a giant wank.
    they have better songs IMO.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    that is such a shitty guitar solo list.
    it's called "classic rock top ten with a guitar solo in it"

real shitty.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    leethal wrote:
    I agree with you one 100 percent. Musically and lyrically the Rain Song is superior. The rain song lacks a guitar solo i suppose but it doesn't need one.
    the Rain Song is absolutley gorgeous..

No Quarter is also better.

*nods*

and Houses of the Holy is better than IV even.

but lets' not go crazy, stairway is a great song..
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    i must be honest, just because you've heard it a billion times in your life doesn't mean it's not a great song. i think as far as being the complete package in a led zeppelin or classic rock song, this song is the best. it's got the beautiful opening, one of the best guitar solos of all time and then the rocking ending. i love it and i could listen to it a million times in a row and still love it.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • Options
    pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    i must be honest, just because you've heard it a billion times in your life doesn't mean it's not a great song. i think as far as being the complete package in a led zeppelin or classic rock song, this song is the best. it's got the beautiful opening, one of the best guitar solos of all time and then the rocking ending. i love it and i could listen to it a million times in a row and still love it.

No one is saying it's bad, just that there's better out there in terms of Zep songs.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I have been a Zeppelin junkie for 10 years. Stairway has never gotten old.

Its close to a fact that Stairway is the greatest rock song ever recorded.

It's not my fave Zep tune. I dunno if I could pick.
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    twas first played in the ulster hall in belfast!

amidst bombs bullets riots of the etc early 70s...

snot like that now of course!
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    belfast1belfast1 Posts: 780
    my fav zep tune is achilles last stand - what a tune!
    dublin 1996 london 2000 dublin 2006 prague 2006 copenhagen 2007 london 2007 rotterdam 2009 london 2009 dublin 2010 belfast 2010 vienna 2014 amsterdam 2014 london 2018
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I like Starway a lot. But it's not my fav Led Zep song though :)
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,504
    My favorite is Over the Hills and Far Away. My favorite album is Physical Graffiti or Houses of the Holy.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.