Options

Article - Plant will reunite with Page for a single show.

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Zep singer returns to solo roots

20 May 2006
05:32
BBC News Online

Rock legend Robert Plant has paid homage to the recording studio which helped him launch his solo career.

The former Led Zeppelin frontman returned to Rockfield, near Monmouth, to mark the 25th anniversary of his debut album after the group broke up.

He was reunited with guitarist Robbie Blunt and keyboard player Jez Woodruffe for a book on the studio.

Plant said: "Rockfield was an absolute dream because it was pastoral, funny and had a fantastic musical history."

The visit was arranged by journalist Jeff Collins, who is compiling a history of the studio, which was founded in the mid-1960s by brothers Kingsley and Charles Ward.

Plant, 57, recalled how he arrived at Rockfield 25 years ago this week, in the wake of Zeppelin's split following the death of the band's drummer John Bonham.

But he told Collins he had not been sure he would make the transition from globe-trotting rock star to a musician with a solo career.

He said: "As far as expectation went, I mean at the age of 32 when your career is finished, anything that came after that was a bonus really.

"I really enjoyed my being in this Rockfield environment. I had lived in this goldfish bowl in Led Zeppelin.

"All we knew about were shadowy figures that came in the night with bags of gear, and security blokes, so it was fantastic to come here and find this whole culture [of musicians] around Monmouth.

"You'd go down to the Nag's Head pub in the town and come wobbling back up here.

Enhanced credibility

"So I moved here and became one of these dismal, happy, sad, failed musicians that other people cross the street to avoid."

Plant recorded two albums at Rockfield, Pictures at Eleven in 1981 and Principle of Moments two years later.

Former Genesis star Phil Collins drummed on both, but could not make the reunion as he was in New York writing a musical for Disney. He sent his apologies.

Kingsley and Charles Ward, who had their own music "combo", created Rockfield because they thought it would be easier than travelling to London, the nearest place with studios at that time.

Music folklore records how in 1975 Queen's Freddie Mercury wrote his piano part for Bohemian Rhapsody in a former feed store at the farm while the rest of the band played frisbee in a nearby field.

But it was Plant's decision to record at Rockfield which gave the studios enhanced credibility with generations of musicians, said Jeff Collins.

He said: "Of all the artists that have worked there, the person most talked about is Robert Plant, having been in one of the world's biggest and most successful bands.

"A lot of musicians have seen that his albums were recorded at Rockfield and thought, 'if it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me'."

Plant's 2006 schedule includes gigs in Milan and the USA at the end of May and June and a one-off performance with former Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page at the Montreux festival in July.

full

Robert Plant back at Rockfield, where his career took a new path; Rockfield was founded by the music-loving Ward brothers; Together again: (L-R) Robbie Blunt, Jez Woodruffe and Robert Plant
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I would kill to see Page and Plant on the same stage! literally.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Cool news. Hopefully, before they die, they realize that they are way better together, and with Jonesy.
  • Options
    Doing a few Zep songs is ok.

I would never want to see a "Zeppelin" reunion.

These guys are WAY past their prime. They could never do the material justice. I respect Plant for acknowledging that fact. Page has always been for a "reunion" of sorts.

I saw P&P in 1995 and 1998. 1995 was good. 1998 was bad.

If you want to see or hear why they will never do a Zep reunion all you have to do is listen to the Cream reunion or listen to the debacle that calls itself the Rolling Stones out on tour somewhere.
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

These guys are WAY past their prime. They could never do the material justice. I respect Plant for acknowledging that fact. Page has always been for a "reunion" of sorts.

If you want to see or hear why they will never do a Zep reunion all you have to do is listen to the Cream reunion or listen to the debacle that calls itself the Rolling Stones out on tour somewhere.

While I agree with you on the Zeppelin reunion, I disagree about the Rolling Stones. Did you see them on this last tour? I thought they sounded outstanding.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    While I agree with you on the Zeppelin reunion, I disagree about the Rolling Stones. Did you see them on this last tour? I thought they sounded outstanding.

I checked out a few bootlegs. I saw them in 2003.

I think they are just detached from their roots. Too many back up singers and horns, etc.

I would only go to a show now if it was Mick, Keith, Charlie, Ron, and Bill. I wanna hear the Stones...not a Stones Musical....does that make sense?

The bigger the back up band...the more you have to hide.
    I've read that Clapton's touring band has 12 people in it.
    I got a bootleg a few days ago...I'm not impressed.
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    what abt PJ then

would u favour a retirement in say 10 years?
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957

I seen P/P in 98 and it was one of the best shows I have seen. Page was his old self, and Robert sounded as good or better than the Unledded cd.
  • Options
    shahril wrote:
    what abt PJ then

would u favour a retirement in say 10 years?

If they have lost the plot...yes.
    If they are no longer able to perform to their standards...yes.

Ament has already hinted that they can't keep it up for too much longer.

I suspect you will see 1 more album and 1 more world tour. After that, I think it will be scaled down dramatically.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    I have Mighty Rearranger, also the French version with the disk2 live set which includes Zeppelin songs. I have 10/5/05 HOB Encore #2, that fantastic crowd boot that almost sounds as good as Basecamp boots.

I saw Plant last July at the LA Greek Theatre.

From all of the above, there is no question in my mind that Plant has it. All that it takes. I mean, listen to Thank you from HOB! Friggin amazing. GTC, Fool In the Rain! Money! Amazing. My live show, and the French disk2, is absolutely amazing. He totally nailed Whole Lotta Love.

As far as Page is concerned, I totally lack information beyond 1995/1998. He seemed to struggle a bit during the unleaded Page/Plant DVD but came off very stylish. Seemed to have trouble with speed and doing fast changes. In 1998, it seemed that a lot of that rust was gone, but he didn't sound like 1973 either. I truely don't know how he is doing now.

Jones is totally on the mark and stands as truely the most underrated player of about 10 instruments including Bass and Keys. Doubt he'll be there though.

About the only drummer that comes close to Bonham's power is Michael Lee. Not sure what he's doing these days.

I would add, the amount of time to practice is key. Look at the rust Pearl Jam had to shake off, and they just got done from South America a few months ago. These guys haven't played together for 8 years.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    I thought the Stones sounded pretty good in both 2003 and 2005. As far as Plant goes, I think he sounds pretty good for his age. Page would probably be rusty but you have to remember that he was a bit rusty during the late 70's if you listen to some of the late Zeppelin live stuff. I'd love to see Zeppelin reunite for a world tour. Put Dave Grohl on skins and go with it.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    OMG this is awesome.
    :o:o:o

And Veddernarian, you know I totally echo your remarks about the mighty Plant...and the historic ass HOB!! :eek:!!!!!! That really happened right???
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Wow! I'd love to see them both on the same stage! That would be amazing, even after all these years. I have the No Quarter Unledded DVD they did and I love it.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles