BILLBOARD: Smashing Pumpkins Sue Virgin Over Promo

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
edited March 2008 in Other Music
BTW: Check out the picture and ask yourself what is more strange/scary looking, Billy (in this picture) or present day Michael Jackson.
Try this: Spell, out loud, the word "image" and then say the word lightbulb.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003732670

March 25, 2008, 10:00 AM ET

The Smashing Pumpkins are suing Virgin Records, saying the record label has illegally used their name and music in promotional deals that hurt the band's credibility with fans.

In a breach-of-contract lawsuit filed in Los Angeles Superior Court yesterday (March 24), the group said it has "worked hard for over two decades to accumulate a considerable amount of goodwill in the eyes of the public," and that Virgin's use of the band in a "Pepsi Stuff" promotion with Amazon.com and Pepsi Co. threatens their reputation for "artistic integrity."

Virgin released the Smashing Pumpkins' music for more than 17 years, but the only active agreement between the two parties, the lawsuit claims, is a deal granting Virgin permission to sell digital downloads of the band's songs. The agreement does not give Virgin the right to use the band in promotional campaigns to sell outside products, the lawsuit said.

The band members said they would "never grant such authority to Virgin, or any other entity." An after-hours call to the label wasn't immediately returned.

The lawsuit demands that Virgin pay with the profits earned in the promotion and asks for an injunction against using the Pumpkins' name or music in the future.

The Pumpkins reunited in recent years to tour and record an album for Warner Bros., "Zeitgeist," released in 2007.
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Wow, Billy needs to get his head out of his ass. The only thing that killed their artistic integrity and reputation with the fans was reforming the Pumpkins with a bunch of no-names and making a shitty album called Zeitgeist.

The REAL Smashing Pumpkins died in 2000. Leave them be, Billy, leave them be.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    Billy, billy, billy,billy, billy. Let it go man.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    It's Uncle Fester.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I think that's pretty legitimate. But I somewhat agree, if anything its Zeitgeist that have damaged the Pumpkins' legacy.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    muppet wrote:
    I think that's pretty legitimate. But I somewhat agree, if anything its Zeitgeist that have damaged the Pumpkins' legacy.

I quite like the album although it tails of towards the end and is not in the same league as classic Pumpkin records.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.