Thom Yorke can be such a twat ...

rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
edited June 2006 in Other Music
Check out the top headline ....

http://www.greenplastic.com/

Now, at least he gives a bunch of possible ways to interpret/deal with the situation (Bush's daughter going to a Radiohead gig). But his attitude kinda sucks. How does he even know that Bush's daughter likes (or even knows about) her dad's politics? Why do liberal musicians have to make discriminatory comments about people who go to their gigs? I thought discrimination was supposedly one of the basic problems they have with conservatism?
I LOVE Radiohead, and I dislike George W. Bush. But what an idiotic rant ...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    Grow up Thom.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    if people here can bitch about the olsen twins and their security causing problems at pearl jam shows, i dont see why he cant take an interest in the secret service harassing people at his shows.
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    "this'll make you laugh.

i was told yesterday that one of the daughters of the president came to NY show 2. we were playing THe Tourist at the end of the show.. and yyes we did wander what the shuffling manhandling fighting was in the distance of the audience. turns out it was her 6 bodyguards clearing the way for the first daughters exit. and some pour soul objected at being manhandled by the secret service. i think i would have to.

infact if i had known all this my objections would have been more forthright and extensive...if you know what i mean. which is perhaps why our lot chose not to tell me who was in the building before we went on. probably a good idea.
    hmm
    i dont know if we should be

A. honoured
    B. amused
    C. bemused
    D. ask if she had a valid ticket
    E. object belatedly on moral grounds
    F. ask again if she had a ticket and question whether this really what our gigs are about
    G. dont blame the daughter for the father
    H. shutup and smile

answers on a postcard

bonaroo today woo hoo

Thom"

What exactly is so bad about what he said? He even says as option G "don't blame the daughter for the father"

Besides, he has a right to voice his opinions about the treatment of his fans at his shows any time he wants too.

If you don't want to hear his opinion then don't read his blog!
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    how does this make him a twat? It actually makes GWB's daughter a silly twat for not realizing that this band can't stand her father. What was she thinking? She's probably not thinking. She's probably as stupid as her father and hasn't come to the realization that much of Thom's music is inspired by his anger towards her father, and her social circle.

And its not like he told her to get the fuck out, he just said that he didn't know what to make of it.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    "this'll make you laugh.

i was told yesterday that one of the daughters of the president came to NY show 2. we were playing THe Tourist at the end of the show.. and yyes we did wander what the shuffling manhandling fighting was in the distance of the audience. turns out it was her 6 bodyguards clearing the way for the first daughters exit. and some pour soul objected at being manhandled by the secret service. i think i would have to.

infact if i had known all this my objections would have been more forthright and extensive...if you know what i mean. which is perhaps why our lot chose not to tell me who was in the building before we went on. probably a good idea.
    hmm
    i dont know if we should be

A. honoured
    B. amused
    C. bemused
    D. ask if she had a valid ticket
    E. object belatedly on moral grounds
    F. ask again if she had a ticket and question whether this really what our gigs are about
    G. dont blame the daughter for the father
    H. shutup and smile

answers on a postcard

bonaroo today woo hoo

Thom"

What exactly is so bad about what he said? He even says as option G "don't blame the daughter for the father"

Besides, he has a right to voice his opinions about the treatment of his fans at his shows any time he wants too.

If you don't want to hear his opinion then don't read his blog!

Judging from your response, you agree with his sentiments ... Which is fine. But telling me not to read his blog is silly. I never said he cannot make comments in a public forum. I was simply putting my own response in a public forum. Maybe you should refrain from reading my responses to Thom Yorke's blog, hmmm? ;)

Anyhow, I know he listed option G (the sensible one that a truly tolerant person would take). I conceded that. I just think that the whole rant was misguided and not needed. My opinion, of course. I probably wouldn't have said anything had Bush himself been the target.
    Dubya at a Radiohead gig would rock, BTW ... He'd be yelling shit like "Play Electioneering, you pussies" ... Or "global warming doesn't exist ... Tony would have kicked your ass!".
    Igottago wrote:
    how does this make him a twat? It actually makes GWB's daughter a silly twat for not realizing that this band can't stand her father. What was she thinking? She's probably not thinking. She's probably as stupid as her father and hasn't come to the realization that much of Thom's music is inspired by his anger towards her father, and her social circle.

And its not like he told her to get the fuck out, he just said that he didn't know what to make of it.

Give me a break. Even Thom conceded that the daughter is not the same person as the father. If my dad was a staunch neo-con politician, would I want Ed to have a fit because he saw me in the front row? Yeah, that would be nice. Maybe she likes the band, which should be reason enough in a free society to go to a concert.
    I do agree with your last point ... Its not like they had her kicked out. I just don't think the man needs to even care that she was there. Thom Yorke might just be my favorite musician ... But he's such a whiny ... Twat. At least, sometimes. Seriously, why is this a big deal?
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Give me a break. Even Thom conceded that the daughter is not the same person as the father. If my dad was a staunch neo-con politician, would I want Ed to have a fit because he saw me in the front row? Yeah, that would be nice. Maybe she likes the band, which should be reason enough in a free society to go to a concert.
    I do agree with your last point ... Its not like they had her kicked out. I just don't think the man needs to even care that she was there. Thom Yorke might just be my favorite musician ... But he's such a whiny ... Twat. At least, sometimes. Seriously, why is this a big deal?

She has every right to go. But why would she? Seriously, if someone was bashing my family I wouldn't be going to their fucking concerts. And if she actually agrees with Thom about her father, well then I've completely misjudged her and that is great. Hopefully she'll go home and tell daddy what a dickhead he is.
    Why is it a big deal? I guess its not..but it is fuckin strange, isn't it? Don't you find it the least bit ironic that she was at the show?
    Igottago wrote:
    Don't you find it the least bit ironic that she was at the show?

I do, but I also find it ironic that the very people who criticize Bush the most for creating divisions seem to perpetuate the problem. How do they plan on changing people's minds if they cannot even abide their opponents' presence? You can't have an informed discussion or debate if you are this close-minded... Bush is the cause of this "us vs. them" mentality? Maybe ... But look who has totally bought into it! Why are high profile liberal celebrities actually the most intolerant when it comes to other viewpoints? I am in this position where I admire a guy like Thom Yorke, for many reasons, but at the same time cannot pretend that he's not a bit of a bigoted hypocrite.
    Of course, in a recent interview Thom mentioned that he was, indeed, a hypocrite. :) Maybe he has more insight than I give him credit for ...
  • cubbieblue82cubbieblue82 Posts: 292
    Judging from your response, you agree with his sentiments ... Which is fine. But telling me not to read his blog is silly. I never said he cannot make comments in a public forum. I was simply putting my own response in a public forum. Maybe you should refrain from reading my responses to Thom Yorke's blog, hmmm? ;)

Anyhow, I know he listed option G (the sensible one that a truly tolerant person would take). I conceded that. I just think that the whole rant was misguided and not needed. My opinion, of course. I probably wouldn't have said anything had Bush himself been the target.
    Dubya at a Radiohead gig would rock, BTW ... He'd be yelling shit like "Play Electioneering, you pussies" ... Or "global warming doesn't exist ... Tony would have kicked your ass!".

Touche! I can see your point, but knowing Yorke's ironic sense of humor, I woulld say he's not being entirely serious here.
    Why are high profile liberal celebrities actually the most intolerant when it comes to other viewpoints?

I don't think this is a fair statement. I would say that there is at least, if not more intolerance on the conservative side of things. Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Pat Robertson, Falwell, and bunch are some of the most intolerant people I have every seen in my life.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • bryanfurybryanfury Posts: 460
    i wish he would've stopped the show so everyone could boo her.

fuck her and her father!
    those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
  • VONVON Posts: 259
    I dont think he was being a twat at all. He was only saying what happened and he didn't know how he should feel so he expressed it in a blog. He had it in his list that maybe he should not blame the daughter for the father which is fair enough. I think it was kinda rude that the daughter came to the show knowing that her leaving early would create such a disturbance. It was kinda disrespectful to the band. I've got nothing against her for being bush's daughter because she might not be a headcase like he is but what she did was rude.
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    I do, but I also find it ironic that the very people who criticize Bush the most for creating divisions seem to perpetuate the problem. How do they plan on changing people's minds if they cannot even abide their opponents' presence? You can't have an informed discussion or debate if you are this close-minded... Bush is the cause of this "us vs. them" mentality? Maybe ... But look who has totally bought into it! Why are high profile liberal celebrities actually the most intolerant when it comes to other viewpoints? I am in this position where I admire a guy like Thom Yorke, for many reasons, but at the same time cannot pretend that he's not a bit of a bigoted hypocrite.
    Of course, in a recent interview Thom mentioned that he was, indeed, a hypocrite. :) Maybe he has more insight than I give him credit for ...

Good post and rather true as well. You see this big time at colleges. It seems like it's the 'in thing' to hate republicans and their supporters. I am one myself but I don't care what others think about me. Pretty much all of those supposed liberals are hypocrites from what I've seen and are impossible to have a conversation with.

As for Thom, I found most of what he said to be rather childish but like others have pointed out he did leave option G. I don't see why Bush's daughter can't go to a concert if she wants. She doesn't have to like Thom to like the music. It's all about the music anyways. I don't agree with both Pearl Jam or Radiohead's politics but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the music. Everyone has an opinion and their entitled to theirs as much as I am mine. Just enjoy the music.
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    pj_zombie wrote:
    Good post and rather true as well. You see this big time at colleges. It seems like it's the 'in thing' to hate republicans and their supporters. I am one myself but I don't care what others think about me. Pretty much all of those supposed liberals are hypocrites from what I've seen and are impossible to have a conversation with.

As for Thom, I found most of what he said to be rather childish but like others have pointed out he did leave option G. I don't see why Bush's daughter can't go to a concert if she wants. She doesn't have to like Thom to like the music. It's all about the music anyways. I don't agree with both Pearl Jam or Radiohead's politics but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the music. Everyone has an opinion and their entitled to theirs as much as I am mine. Just enjoy the music.

Yeah.

But your opinion sucks.

:)

Anyway, I don't see why some of you guys are actually concerned about this. I mean the man was obviously not fully serious. The beginning where he says "This'll make you laugh" gives that detail away.
  • Whats the problem? He obviously didn't take it that seriously...

except the fact that the SS created a demonic presence at the show...

...which I reckon would be pretty 'headish!
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,355
    bryanfury wrote:
    i wish he would've stopped the show so everyone could boo her.

fuck her and her father!

Ummmm...why do you not like her?

Another person that needs to grow up.

She probably wanted to see Radiohead in concert since long before her dadday was Pres. but since those pussies never actually play any live shows it took her a while to make it happen.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Ummmm...why do you not like her?

Another person that needs to grow up.

She probably wanted to see Radiohead in concert since long before her dadday was Pres. but since those pussies never actually play any live shows it took her a while to make it happen.

Now see, I don't understand the comment you made.....why do you call them "pussies"? Just because they don't play live as often as most bands? I am not attacking you, just curious as to why you would call them "pussies".

By the way, not that it really matters, but I will be traveling to Cincy from Charlotte, to see PJ this weekend!! YAAAAHOOOOO!!!
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Yeah, I get it! TY rips on Bush's daughter and that leads to a positve difference in the political climate of western civilization. Good job, Thome! You should feel really good about making such a difference -- really putting yourself out there and taking a chance!
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • I think it's a tad hypocritical that people on this board are criticising Yorke on this. Sure, any rant of this kind is immature. But then, tell me all of you haven't been guilty of verbally ripping apart Lyndsay Lohan for no reason at all other than her love life. She's only a person.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    dirt wrote:
    Yeah, I get it! TY rips on Bush's daughter and that leads to a positve difference in the political climate of western civilization. Good job, Thome! You should feel really good about making such a difference -- really putting yourself out there and taking a chance!

I guess a man can't joke about something because there will alway be people who just seem to be shielded by ignorance and hypocrisy. The above poster is right. I bet if Thom was on Lindsay Lohan, you guys would be laughing, saying stuff like "LOL HE'S SO RITE!1111"
  • blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    Igottago wrote:

... which I personally thought was expressed with humor and restraint.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • it was kinda funny because he listed a bunch of options, but if i were in his position, i would be happy to have anyone attend the concert/a fan is a fan (of course there are pleanty of exceptions: nazis, kkk, etc.) if she really is a radiohead fan, then she deserves the appreciation every other fan gets. yes GW probably isn't the coolest cat in town, but his daughter shouldn't be snubbed.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398

I guess a man can't joke about something because there will alway be people who just seem to be shielded by ignorance and hypocrisy.

Wow. You really read a lot about who I really am by my post....................all I was saying is what's the point of making such a comment -- what does it accomplish?
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
    it was kinda funny because he listed a bunch of options, but if i were in his position, i would be happy to have anyone attend the concert/a fan is a fan (of course there are pleanty of exceptions: nazis, kkk, etc.) if she really is a radiohead fan, then she deserves the appreciation every other fan gets. yes GW probably isn't the coolest cat in town, but his daughter shouldn't be snubbed.

With all due respect, I doubt that the little Bush is a fan. It's probably more likely that the show was "the place to be" and she used her social status to gain entrance. I feel bad for any audience members who had to be exposed to her and her entourage. If it were me, I'd be pissed at the intrusion.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
    dirt wrote:
    Wow. You really read a lot about who I really am by my post....................all I was saying is what's the point of making such a comment -- what does it accomplish?

He wants to make people laugh. He did.

Tell me this, what does your little pissy rant accomplish?
  • pj_zombiepj_zombie Posts: 272
    With all due respect, I doubt that the little Bush is a fan. It's probably more likely that the show was "the place to be" and she used her social status to gain entrance. I feel bad for any audience members who had to be exposed to her and her entourage. If it were me, I'd be pissed at the intrusion.

That's kind of flat out making assumptions based on nothing. Who are you to say she's not a fan? Do you know her? Or are you using stereotypes based on fame and fortune?
    Pearl Jam Album Rankings
    ---
    1. Ten
    2. Vs.
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Binaural
    5. No Code
    6. Riot Act
    7. Yield
    8. Vitalogy

Pearl Jam Song Rankings
    ---
    1. Black
    2. Rearviewmirror
    3. Light Years
    4. Given to Fly
    5. Severed Hand
    pj_zombie wrote:
    That's kind of flat out making assumptions based on nothing. Who are you to say she's not a fan? Do you know her? Or are you using stereotypes based on fame and fortune?

You're right ... I made assumptions based on nothing other than my personal experience with people "like" her. I apologize for my ignorance.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~