Options

Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin 5.1

merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
edited February 2006 in Other Music
Heads up that the Lips will be releasing a version of the Soft Bulletin tomorrow that includes the original album on CD, and a DVD 5.1 remix on a seperate DVD (Not Dualdisc, thank goodness). The DVD has some extra songs previously found on the bootleg Soft Bulletin Companions and a few videos. If its even close to the 5.1 remix of Yoshimi it will be amazing.

Also, their new album At War With the Mystics will come in this format too.
"You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
spotify:user:merkinball
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    And I will be picking up my copy as soon as I get out of class tommorow. I have been waiting for this one, one of the best albums ever, made even better!

And I am quite thankful they are going to release the new one this way at the beginning so I don't end up buying the damn thing twice like Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    is there a live flaming lips dvd out anywhere?
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    moeaholic wrote:

The only DVDs they have are VOID which is all the videos and fearless freaks which is like a documentary type deal.

This band needs to put out a live DVD, or several actually of all the different eras of the band.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • Options
    moeaholic wrote:

I've got a few. '95, '96, '00, and a few different Yoshimi shows. If anyone wants a b&p or trade for them, pm me.

Picked up this set today, I'll be listening to it in just a bit.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Damn, I just bought this album about a month ago. Oh well, how much are they charging for this thing anyway?

Can't wait until their new one.
  • Options
    CM1847 wrote:
    Damn, I just bought this album about a month ago. Oh well, how much are they charging for this thing anyway?

Can't wait until their new one.

$14.99 at Tower is the cheapest I've seen it. Rumor has it that the CD that was shipped with this set is the wrong one. The CD should have matched the tracklisting on the DVD, and had 13 remastered tracks. The CD in the pack is the same as the regular cd (w/ 14 tracks). Supposedly they'll be an address to mail the cd's in to get replaced.

That being said, this mix is incredible. Brings out a ton of textures to the songs, and really accents it well. The new liner notes add a lot of dimension to the album too.

• Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Thanks for the info merkin. I will just finish my collection of their CDs first and then maybe go back and look into this, it sounds pretty nice.
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    $14.99 at Tower is the cheapest I've seen it. Rumor has it that the CD that was shipped with this set is the wrong one. The CD should have matched the tracklisting on the DVD, and had 13 remastered tracks. The CD in the pack is the same as the regular cd (w/ 14 tracks). Supposedly they'll be an address to mail the cd's in to get replaced.

That being said, this mix is incredible. Brings out a ton of textures to the songs, and really accents it well. The new liner notes add a lot of dimension to the album too.
    Thats good news about the possible replacement, I was over on the Lips' board the other day and I know some people were disapointed that the tracklisting on the CD didn't have slow motion and was pretty much the same as the American version of Soft Bulletin that everyone always has.
  • Options
    Thats good news about the possible replacement, I was over on the Lips' board the other day and I know some people were disapointed that the tracklisting on the CD didn't have slow motion and was pretty much the same as the American version of Soft Bulletin that everyone always has.

Here's the address for the replacement (this came from the lips yahoo group, someone who works for the bands marketing company wrote it)

Send the *****CD only***** to:
    Flaming Lips
    Soft Bulletin Screw-Up
    P.O. Box 3265
    Edmond, Oklahoma 73083

I'm sending mine out today. Apparently it'll take about a week to get the new ones in.

• Options
    As an update, I just got the new remastered CD back from the Lips today. Even included a handwritten note of apology for the screw up (which was Warners fault, not the Lips) from Michael Ivins, which I thought was more than cool.

Theres a bit about it over at the Tarbox Studios site, if you need clarification:

http://www.netsync.net/users/fridmann/news2.html

• Options
    merkinball wrote:
    As an update, I just got the new remastered CD back from the Lips today. Even included a handwritten note of apology for the screw up (which was Warners fault, not the Lips) from Michael Ivins, which I thought was more than cool.

Theres a bit about it over at the Tarbox Studios site, if you need clarification:

http://www.netsync.net/users/fridmann/news2.html

Damnit, I need to remember to mail that damn thing in.
  • Options
    very excellent film...not an over the top fan of the flaming lips, it's not that I dislike them either. seen them twice in concert. Recommend that movie however, very well done.
    Let's Go Red Sox!