Tom Waits to tour?

merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Maybe we'll find out tomorrow:

http://eyeballkid.blogspot.com/

I'd love to see Tom live. Apparently this news came from his tour manager.
"You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
spotify:user:merkinball
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    jesus h

if he comes anywhere near the east coast, im there.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • *Boy*Boy Posts: 112
    Eight shows announced

Tuesday, Aug 1 Atlanta, GA Tabernacle
    Wednesday, Aug 2 Asheville, NC Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
    Friday, Aug 4 Memphis, TN Orpheum Theatre
    Saturday, Aug 5 Nashville, TN Ryman Auditorium
    Monday, Aug 7 Louisville, KY Palace Theatre
    Wednesday, Aug 9 Chicago, IL Auditorium Theatre
    Friday, Aug 11 Detroit, MI Opera House
    Sunday, Aug 13 Akron, OH Akron Civic

The first show (Atlanta) goes on sale July 8, other details about the ticket sales will follow later.

Why there and then? ,,We need to go to Tennessee to pick up some fireworks, and someone owes me money in Kentucky'', Tom Waits explains.

No need to ask me for further details: this is all I know.
    ~It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not ~

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

~chaka boom chak -Tom Waits~
    I'm doing everything in my power to catch one of these shows.

seeing Tom Waits would complete my life. seriously.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Tom Waits to hit road less-traveled in August

July 05, 2006 11:47 AM
    by Tjames Madison
    LiveDaily Contributor
    Reclusive singer/songwriter Tom Waits (tickets | music) will travel an unusual path later this summer, when he hits the road for a series of shows mainly in the South.
    The eight-city tour kicks off Aug. 1 in Atlanta, one of four cities on the outing (along with Memphis, Nashville and Louisville) where Waits hasn't performed since the mid-'70s. The only stop on the tour that Waits has played somewhat recently is Chicago, where he performed three sold-out shows in 1999 to support his "Mule Variations" album.

"We need to go to Tennessee to pick up some fireworks, and someone owes me money in Kentucky," Waits said in a press release, explaining the unorthodox touring.

Waits last toured in 2004, when the two-time Grammy winner supported his most recent album, "Real Gone."

His most recent live date in London, in 2004, sold out in 30 minutes, according to a press release, with over 150,000 ticket requests received within the first hour.

[Note: The following tour itinerary has been provided by artist and/or tour sources, who verify its accuracy as of the publication time of this story. Changes may occur before tickets go on sale. Check with official artist websites, ticketing sources and venues for late updates.]
    August 2006
    1 - Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
    2 - Asheville, NC - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
    4 - Memphis, TN - Orpheum Theatre
    5 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
    7 - Louisville, KY - Palace Theatre
    9 - Chicago, IL - Auditorium Theatre
    11 - Detroit, MI - Opera House
    13 - Akron, OH - Akron Civic
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • esther1977esther1977 Posts: 540
    It would be great if he also came to the netherlands, i would love to see him
    When all your dreams turn to dust, vacuum
    When all else fails, read the instruction
  • spnoonespnoone Posts: 626
    it kills me that i cant go to any of these. my job changed the vacation rules so my seniority is worthless and i couldnt get a single day off the entire summer. for me this is... well, imagine if pearl jam only played 8 shows every 6 years. its that. my only hope is that he'll add a saturday show somewhere in the northeast.
    I don't think i can make any of these :(

this would have been like a dream come true for me, seeing the man himself. just being in his presence would make me happy.

hes #1 on my list of people to see live.

I wish he'd tour more often and play more cities.

:(
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I don't think i can make any of these :(

Me either. Way too far for me to travel for a show. I'm hoping some other mini-tours will work their way out. Seems like a lot of effort to pull all the musicians together, rehearse everything for only 8 shows.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

merkinball wrote:
    Me either. Way too far for me to travel for a show. I'm hoping some other mini-tours will work their way out. Seems like a lot of effort to pull all the musicians together, rehearse everything for only 8 shows.

thats what waits did in 2004....they played like 4 or 5 shows.
    I've spent the past few days on my knees begging my parents to let me go to the Akron show....(it's only two hours away!) problem is, both of them absolutely despise Waits and are on this little power trip lately. parents.

I'm close to hopping on a greyhound bus the day of the show and just saying fuck it. I think it would be worth the consequences. wish me luck. there's no way Tom Waits is literally two hours from my house and I'm missing it.
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I've spent the past few days on my knees begging my parents to let me go to the Akron show....(it's only two hours away!) problem is, both of them absolutely despise Waits and are on this little power trip lately. parents.

I'm close to hopping on a greyhound bus the day of the show and just saying fuck it. I think it would be worth the consequences. wish me luck. there's no way Tom Waits is literally two hours from my house and I'm missing it.

a. why do they hate Waits.
    b. your username suggests you are born in 1982 which makes you either 23 or 24. what the fuck do you care what your parents say?

~You laugh because I am different, I laugh because you are all the fucking same ~

~Education is the most powerfull weapon you can use to change the world - Nelson Mandela~

*Boy wrote:
    a. why do they hate Waits.
    b. your username suggests you are born in 1982 which makes you either 23 or 24. what the fuck do you care what your parents say?

a) my parents dont like his voice, think his music is scary, etc.

b) I'm 15. the 82 is a reference to my hockey number
    reason with them. he's old. you might not get another chance. if that doesnt work just say fuck it, ground me when i get back. whatever you do, go! you'll never forgive yourself if you don't.
    StoneG82 wrote:
    a) my parents dont like his voice, think his music is scary, etc.

b) I'm 15. the 82 is a reference to my hockey number

a. i can see that lol, it's just so unique and so distinctive....i love it

b. thats awesome, 15 and loving Waits, and yes you should care what you're parents say lol, nah just go man.....and sorry i didn't mean to yell at your parents :)

haha you guys are a really good influence

I really don't care how much trouble I get in at this point. there's no way in hell I'm missing this.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Speaking as a parent....

Just start listening to a bunch of Death Metal really loud, or something equally annoying. Your parents will be begging you to go back to that 'Nice Tom Waits you used to listen to' soon enough.

alright....after days of begging, ass kissing and cleaning out the garage, I've finally convinced my parents to let me see Mr. Tom Waits in Akron.

now the issue is getting tickets.....

needless to say, I'll be here at 10:00 friday morning with a phone in my hand for backup.
    I've never been so nervous about getting tickets.

I'm freaking out right now. Tickets are on sale tomorrow at ten for most of the shows.

god this anticipation is horrible
    i go through that any time tickets go on sale for anything. it sucks. make sure you're signed up and signed in with ticketmaster before they go on sale. pre enter your credit card info if you can. good luck. i'm jealous as hell. katrina having happened makes me think he might dust off i wish i was in new orleans for this tour.
    man that was the most nerveracking morning I've had it a while.

the good news is, I got balcony seats for Akron! I'm seeing Tom Waits!

unfortunately, tickbastard fucked a lot of people over once again. The minute they went on sale, I had great orchestra seats and ended up losing them because of glitches on the ticketmaster site. I had to go back three times because it kept logging me out. On the third try, I got the "there were no tickets that matched your request page". I pretty much flipped.

thank god, after a few more tries, I wound up with two seats in the right hand balcony. I'm just happy to be in the building, and I don't really think any seat in a theatre in Akron, Ohio could be bad. The place is probably somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.