New Beastie Boys Album (All instrumental)

mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Who else is excited?

The Beastie Boy's new album called "The Mix Up" is coming out in late June.
It is all instrumental with zero sampling.
http://www.spin.com/features/news/2007/04/070426_bboys/

I'm a big Beastie Boys fan, and I think some of their best work is their instrumental/rock-type songs.

Also, they are playing an all instrumental show at the Crocodile Cafe in Seattle on May 25th.
That would be pretty damn cool!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RabbitrocksRabbitrocks Posts: 101
    I love em too and can't wait for the album.
    They're playing London in September, but I'll be on holiday :(
  • Just to clarify:

I got the impression from the original post that this was an instrumental album; e.g. no rhyming. Not sure if that was the intent but it's important to note that the album will have lyrics, but the beats and music is instrumental as opposed to sampling and synthetic.

Either way, it is sure to be good stuff; as with all the Beastie Boys albums.
  • jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    Just to clarify:

I got the impression from the original post that this was an instrumental album; e.g. no rhyming. Not sure if that was the intent but it's important to note that the album will have lyrics, but the beats and music is instrumental as opposed to sampling and synthetic.

I also got the impression that it was only instrumental from the first post, which would be cool (the in sound from way out! is on of my faves). Rhyming is good too though.
  • jdub3001 wrote:
    I also got the impression that it was only instrumental from the first post, which would be cool (the in sound from way out! is on of my faves). Rhyming is good too though.
    I decided a long time ago if I ever own a elevator, The In Sound From Way Out will be played on a continious loop, forever, in my elevator.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    awesome. can't wait!
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    I bet they will release the just instrumental one too.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    Sorry to lead you guys the wrong way.
    I think it's just them playing instruments with lyrics....very old school Beastie Boys.

Can't wait!!

And yeah...The In Sound from Way Out is a great disc!!
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    I thought they had two albums coming out... one that strictly was instrumental, then another with lyrics/instruments/sampling... at least that's what I was told from my brother (didn't check his sources).
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Looking forward to the new album!
    Go see The Avett Brothers!!
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    If its anything like the instrumentals off of Check Your Head I think we're in for a treat.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Just to clarify:

No, it is actually an entirely instrumental album. There are no lyrics. They play all of the instruments themselves, but they will NOT have vocals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mix-Up
    http://blog.filter-mag.com/filter/2007/05/1st_impressions.html
    All 12 songs are completely sample and vocal-free, with instruments played by Mike D (drums), Adrock (guitar), and MCA (bass); also features keyboardist Money Mark and percussionist Alfredo Ortiz.

The second link is an impression write-up from someone hearing the album. I've read a few others who have also had the chance to hear the album. Unless they plan a separate release for an album with vocals(which I can't find any confirmation on anywhere, so I don't think it is planned), there will not be a new BB album with vocals anytime soon.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    what is the release date on this?
  • Dick JonesDick Jones Posts: 777
    I am really glad to hear that this is instrumental. The Rat Cage is an awesome song.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    mca47 wrote:
    Sorry to lead you guys the wrong way.
    I think it's just them playing instruments with lyrics....very old school Beastie Boys.

Can't wait!!

And yeah...The In Sound from Way Out is a great disc!!
    i loooove the in sound! i listen to it at night when i cant sleep and always does the job! great album, one of my favs! :)
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 535
    i'll pick it up. absolutely love the instrumental stuff from check your head.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • sampling intrumentals it doesn't matter the beastie boys kick ass. Has anyone seen the videos on youtube? hold on a sec. lemme link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHw4AnSgeqM <---- rat cage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uQXtpUxok&mode=related&search= <=== off the grid
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Holy SHIT!!! Thats freaking awesome! Cant wait to get this album
    Wow!

ALL instrumental...no vocals...

Very cool!
  • It's going to be awesome no matter what!!!!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    It's going to be awesome no matter what!!!!

Hell yeah it is!!

The B-Boys never disappoint! Such an incredibly creative group of guys!
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    what is the release date on this?

yeah!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Oddly I find this very disappointing, The Beastie Boys have made their best music with the help of Mixmaster Mike
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Oddly I find this very disappointing, The Beastie Boys have made their best music with the help of Mixmaster Mike

Well, I sort of agree.

When I think of the Beastie Boys, I think of a band/group that can pretty much do it all...rhyme, rap, play some rock, play some funk, play some punk.
    I love their rhyming and rapping, but I think an all instrumental album is them showing that they can still play as quality musicians, and them growing and doing something new and fresh.
    The 5 Burroughs was a decent album, I'm just so damned excited for this one because IMO them on the instruments really shows their true talent.
    New video!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8uQXtpUxok

Pretty damn cool IMO!