The Hold Steady

Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
edited April 2007 in Other Music
I've been looking to get into some of their stuff, what would people reccomend? Lyrically they remind me of Pavement, am I far off with that assumption? I heard they are quite good live as well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    ooh ooh they are coming to oz in august. i'm definately going. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    Get all their cds..it may take you a bit to get into the vocals..but its great great stuff.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    One of my favorite bands! "Boys and Girls in America" and "Separation Sunday" are both great records. I haven't heard their first one.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    direwolf74 wrote:
    One of my favorite bands! "Boys and Girls in America" and "Separation Sunday" are both great records. I haven't heard their first one.

i think the first one rivals 'boys and girls' for my fav. id recommend boys and girls for a newbie though... he sings more than talks. then you can work back.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    i think the first one rivals 'boys and girls' for my fav. id recommend boys and girls for a newbie though... he sings more than talks. then you can work back.

agreeded the new one is easiest to get into and then from there the other two seem kinda split as to what people think is the better. I honestly think they are the best band of the decade and think that Seperation Sunday is the best album of the decade. I have never been this in to a band as far as I can remember
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb