Where tomorrow shines
Gold and silver shine

Shiny happy people holding hands
Shiny happy people laughing
~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    Geez Kat, I was just trying to get everyone to lighten up on the Porch.....
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Whatever you're taking I want some. :)
  • great song, always guaranteed to put me in a good mood :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • you mean

furry happy monsters, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkHM8xG6i8o
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • you mean

furry happy monsters, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkHM8xG6i8o

lol.
    was just about to post that.
    ROFL.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Its well documented that even Michael Stipe hates this song,they have never played it live (apparently).But it makes me smile and reminds me of the kids I used to nanny for.We used to play it real loud and dance around the house and garden to it.The muppet clip was cool.Hadn't saw it for a while.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • when Michael was writing the lyrics to this song he was afraid people would interpret them (the lyrics) as sarcastic and taking a piss on others so he intentionally made sure the lyrics physically made you smile when you sing along. he wanted to make sure people knew it was a genuine happy song

happppyyyy
    peeeooople
    luvvvv mee luvvv mee

just a weird tidbit
  • Love REM.

Not one of their better songs...............
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    awesme song, awesome album, awesome band.
  • stargirl69 wrote:
    Its well documented that even Michael Stipe hates this song,they have never played it live (apparently).

I've heard the reason they don't play it is because the B52's lady is never there to do her part. Personally, I love the song, as well as another happy, go lucky REM song that gets backlash (though not as much backlash)----"Pop Song 89"

I am also happy about the amount of REM chatter on the board lately. Hopefully, I will finally get to see them this year.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • I've heard the reason they don't play it is because the B52's lady is never there to do her part. Personally, I love the song, as well as another happy, go lucky REM song that gets backlash (though not as much backlash)----"Pop Song 89"

I am also happy about the amount of REM chatter on the board lately. Hopefully, I will finally get to see them this year.

really? thats the b52s lady?? cool. did not know.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • really? thats the b52s lady?? cool. did not know.

She's also on the last song on that record ("Me in Honey"), which is another stellar track. I don't know if they've ever done that one live. If they have, maybe it is proof they do hate "Shiny Happy People"
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    They have played it once. I dont know of any other time though. Pretty sure Kate joined them on this too.

13 April 1991 - 'Saturday Night Live', NBC TV, New York, NY
    set: Losing My Religion / Shiny Happy People
    notes: This show can be found on the cd bootleg 'Half A World Away'

This is from http://members.iinet.net.au/~darryl74/1990.html which it the R.E.M. Timeline.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    I've heard the reason they don't play it is because the B52's lady is never there to do her part. Personally, I love the song, as well as another happy, go lucky REM song that gets backlash (though not as much backlash)----"Pop Song 89"

I love both songs as well. I realize they were meant to be fun songs. They can't always be dark and mysterious.
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    really? thats the b52s lady?? cool. did not know.

Yeah Kate Pierson (B52'S lead vocals,organ and bass) worked a lot with R.E.M.
    Not sure the reason they have never played it is because the don't have Kate Pierson with them?Many people collaborate but don't tour,but the songs still get sung live by another band member/collaborator.
    Case in point,Isobel Campbell initially toured extensively on her own to promote Ballad of the Broken Seas without Mark Lanegan (he joined her on select dates the second time around).Eugene Kelly (ex Captain America/Eugenius) took on Mark's parts ;).Belle and Sebastian still perform the songs that Isobel sang when with them.
    I read Michael Stipe felt Shiny Happy People had been saturated through radio play and had become sickly sweet and twee.
    Not my favourite but still makes me smile.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    give me
    Country Feedback
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick