Options

Greatest Era/Year of Music Ever???

SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 827
edited June 2006 in Other Music
To many on this board, that era is early to mid-90's, and the year has to be 1991. I for one am partial as I was in college from the Fall of '91 to the Fall of '95. For you younglings...if you don't own every disc on my list, run don't walk to your nearest record store and pick them all up!

Look at what was produced by the Big 4 (and 2 main supergroups) and wonder in it's amazement...

90 - Facelift
91 - Badmotorfinger, Nevermind, Temple Of The Dog, Ten
92 - Sap, Dirt, Incesticide
93 - In Utero, Vs.
94 - Jar Of Flies, Superunknown, Nirvana Unplugged, Vitalogy
95 - Alice In Chains, Above
96 - Alice In Chains Unplugged, Down On The Upside, No Code

Once again, in my opinion, 1991 is unbeatable, with 1994 at #2, and 1996 closing out the true grunge era at #3.

I don't think I've left much room for discussion, but feel free if you please. :)

Have a good weekend.
19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    i might say 94, but no as nirvana are there , 96 will do me nicely
  • Options
    Caleb983Caleb983 Posts: 17
    Nihilism is best done by professionals
  • Options
    fractusfractus Posts: 67
    00' - 05' The Britany Years, we had so much fun.
    An alien at home behind the sun
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Grunge saved Rock and Roll.

80's rock almost killed it!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    1955 thru 1995
  • Options
    The 70's

Led Zeppelin
    Pink Floyd
    The Eagles
    Black Sabbath
    Rolling Stones
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Everyone who says the early 90's here is probably saying it for the wrong reasons
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    90-96
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Everyone who says the early 90's here is probably saying it for the wrong reasons

What reason is that oh wise one? ;) And what would be the correct reason to say it?
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    rssesq wrote:
    Grunge saved Rock and Roll.

80's rock almost killed it!

You might want to rethink that. Think about post-grunge (creed, nickelback, stuff in that vein) and how grunge is highly responsible for it's existance.

There was some great music to come from the "grunge" scene, no doubt, but unlike the music of the 60s, it's influenees aren't much to talk about.
    "It's not British music, it's American music. Now c'mon." -Bob Dylan
  • Options
    What reason is that oh wise one? ;) And what would be the correct reason to say it?

there are some pretty fucking unbelievable records released in the early 90s that have absolutely nothing to do with "grunge". i think that's what he's referring to
  • Options
    there are some pretty fucking unbelievable records released in the early 90s that have absolutely nothing to do with "grunge". i think that's what he's referring to

Ah, OK; well on that we can agree ;) I think pretty much every genre of music spawned some classics in the 90s, personally.

• Options
    You might want to rethink that. Think about post-grunge (creed, nickelback, stuff in that vein) and how grunge is highly responsible for it's existance.

There was some great music to come from the "grunge" scene, no doubt, but unlike the music of the 60s, it's influenees aren't much to talk about.

I don't know, I think everything narrowly labelled 'post-grunge' should be named 'mock-grunge'; it's just people STILL trying to recreate the new TEN that never happened. That's copying a genre, not the same as being 'influenced' by it or building up on it. In my book, many amazing bands draw from grunge; you can hear it in their music even if it spans all genres, and even if it's subtle. There has never been a truly successful 'anti-grunge' movement (Brit Pop tried in the early 90s, only lasted for a few years and what have they got for all the effort: Oasis? Plllease.). There's loads of what I would describe as 'Indie' in the UK these days which is largely horrible, but even in that I can hear more 'rawness' and energy of grunge than I used to hear in Blur or Pulp etc.

Deftones
    Incubus
    Tool
    Foo Fighters (who in essence are true post-grunge, IMHO, perhaps along with Incubus)
    Queen Adreena
    RHCP
    Counting Crows

Ooh, and if you have to have some Indie in there, go for it:

The White Stripes and the Raconteurs

All those, and (I would argue) anyone who plays a loud guitar these days and doesn't play Brit Pop, and even some of those who do ;)

I don't know, maybe I'm overstating my case. I don't think so.

• Options

I don't know, I think everything narrowly labelled 'post-grunge' should be named 'mock-grunge'; it's just people STILL trying to recreate the new TEN that never happened. That's copying a genre, not the same as being 'influenced' by it. In my book, many amazing bands draw from grunge; you can hear it in their music even if it spans all genres, and even if it's subtle.

Great bands who at least IMO seem inspired by grunge:

Deftones
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Incubus
    Tool
    Foo Fighters (who in essence are true post-grunge, IMHO, perhaps along with Incubus)
    Queen Adreena
    RHCP
    Counting Crows
    Tori Amos (given the cover of 'Black' she's done a few times)
    Muse
    Radiohead

All those, and (I would argue) anyone who plays a loud guitar these days and doesn't play Brit Pop, and even some of those who do ;)

• Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,734
    Ah, OK; well on that we can agree ;) I think pretty much every genre of music spawned some classics in the 90s, personally.

though not commercially successful, KISS fans agree (generally) that the best KISS album was "REVENGE," which came out in 1992.

I agree. I knew after my 2nd listen that it was my fav KISS cd ever.
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    Spartancus wrote:
    To many on this board, that era is early to mid-90's, and the year has to be 1991. I for one am partial as I was in college from the Fall of '91 to the Fall of '95. For you younglings...if you don't own every disc on my list, run don't walk to your nearest record store and pick them all up!

Look at what was produced by the Big 4 (and 2 main supergroups) and wonder in it's amazement...

90 - Facelift
    91 - Badmotorfinger, Nevermind, Temple Of The Dog, Ten
    92 - Sap, Dirt, Incesticide
    93 - In Utero, Vs.
    94 - Jar Of Flies, Superunknown, Nirvana Unplugged, Vitalogy
    95 - Alice In Chains, Above
    96 - Alice In Chains Unplugged, Down On The Upside, No Code

Once again, in my opinion, 1991 is unbeatable, with 1994 at #2, and 1996 closing out the true grunge era at #3.

I don't think I've left much room for discussion, but feel free if you please. :)

Have a good weekend.

um well in 93 siamese dream was born which is an insanely awesome album
    splendor solis from the tea party was also there
    undertow from tool - that album is unreal
    as is pork soda by primus - and if ur doing unplugged albums n what not

with that in mind its already better than 91 in my view

94? well that is another stellar year with the likes of
    The Offspring - Smash
    Powderfinger - Parables For Wooden Ears
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot
    Dave Matthews - Band Under The Table And Dreaming
    Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World
    Tori Amos - Under The Pink

here u have DMB album that to me is mindblowing and still their best release to date. a pumpkins album that is highly under-rated. a ben harper that is largely unrecognised yet very good and an offspring album that is stellar - yes the offspring have made at least 1 great album in my view. the powderfinger album, althought their weakest, gave them the opening to make insane albums such as internationalist and double allergic. as well as tori amos releasing another album which can only be a good thing with her genius at hand

ok so i cant be stuffed naming a shite load more albums but some key albums in 95 such as red medicine by fugazi, a killer album that must never be forgotten in mellon collie and the infinite sadness, these clouds taste metallic by the flaming lips, mirrorball, and the album that is seemingly released to ensure their fans tastebuds were being fed - a change of seasons by dream theater.
    in addition ben harper made on of his most influential albums to date being fight for your mind, introduced the world to silverchair with frogstomp, as well introducing the music industry to the living end with their debut ep hellbound. then there was the follow up album by the tea party with the edges of twighlight that stamped the tea party into being one heck of a rock band

ok so i couldnt help myself but to name a few more

but to be quite honest - 93 - 95 are each better years for music than 91 in my view. yes 91 had nevermind and ten that sparked so much interest, not to mention gish was released in 91... and the big board favourite loveless... but 91 as a person who loves to listen to music doesnt do it so much for me as other years...

the greatest era of music in my view? the 60s n 70s... talk about insane.
  • Options
    swedeswede Posts: 558
    also - how come temple of the dog are in the "big 4" they are by no means as big or influential as a band such as the smashing pumpkins that were spawned in that era...
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279

Those are indie bands? News to me.

But yeah, early 90's had some amazing albums by Talk Talk, Pavement, My Bloody Valentine, Slint, Morbid Angel, The Mountain Goats, Stereolab, Megadeth, Johm Fahey, Public Enemy, Sonic Youth, Death, Sleep, Immortal, Yo La Tengo, Guided By Voices, and even Weezer.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    68 or 69 where great years.
    We had the brillant end of the beatles(songs, albums etc...)
    Led Zeppelin starting up.
    The small faces last album and the start of Humble pie
    Free had a very good album
    Taste were in full flow
    The stones getting in.
    the Who establishing themselves as the greatest live band
    Crosby stills and nash debut.
    Electric ladyland
    Bookends theme.....

My favourite musical year that I was around for was 1996.
    No code , mosley shoals,what's the story morning glory, stanely road
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Those are indie bands? News to me.

But yeah, early 90's had some amazing albums by Talk Talk, Pavement, My Bloody Valentine, Slint, Morbid Angel, The Mountain Goats, Stereolab, Megadeth, Johm Fahey, Public Enemy, Sonic Youth, Death, Sleep, Immortal, Yo La Tengo, Guided By Voices, and even Weezer.

The UK would consider the stripes (and consequently raconteurs) to have influenced UK indie quite a lot. Although, admittedly you could replace the word 'indie' with 'garage rock', because that's what the UK means when they say indie these days, I believe. I think it's got a slightly different US sound (which, incidentally, I don't really know about).

• Options
    I think great music is still being made and last year there were plenty of amazing underground/indie bands who released some of the best music I've heard in a while.

Decemberists - Picaresque
    Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
    Bright Eyes - I'm wide awake it's morning
    Wolf Parade - Appologies to the Queen Mary
    Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak
    Ugly Casanova - Sharpen your teeth
    Clap your hands say yeah - Clap your hands say yeah
    I attack with love, pure bug beauty, curl my lips and crawl up to you.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    I would say the 70's and the 90's. Although the 80's had some good stuff as well.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 827
    swede wrote:
    also - how come temple of the dog are in the "big 4" they are by no means as big or influential as a band such as the smashing pumpkins that were spawned in that era...
    TOTD aren't in "The Big 4," but they and Mad Season are the top two offshoots of the Big 4. And I puposely limited my list of 90-96 highlights based on bands out of Seattle...or else it would be too much work.

The Smashing Pumpkins and Stone Temple Pilots will always be in my heart as great music to come out of the grunge era as well, but since they're not from Seattle, I didn't included them in my list.

Siamese Dream is probably my favorite album of all time by the way, so if you add them, then 1993 is up there on par with 1991 and 1994.
    19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    I don't know, I think everything narrowly labelled 'post-grunge' should be named 'mock-grunge'; it's just people STILL trying to recreate the new TEN that never happened. That's copying a genre, not the same as being 'influenced' by it. In my book, many amazing bands draw from grunge; you can hear it in their music even if it spans all genres, and even if it's subtle.

Great bands who at least IMO seem inspired by grunge:

Deftones
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Incubus
    Tool
    Queen Adreena
    RHCP
    Counting Crows
    Tori Amos (given the cover of 'Black' she's done a few times)
    Muse
    Radiohead

RHCP have been around much longer than the term "grunge" and i am not sure they are so much influenced by it.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    94 also had Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

1994 best year in music ever.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    September 23rd 1966 - September 18th 1970.
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    1967 BABY!!

US

14 Jan 1967 I'm a Believer
    (Monkees)
    21 Jan 1967 I'm a Believer
    (Monkees)
    28 Jan 1967 I'm a Believer
    (Monkees)
    4 Feb 1967 I'm a Believer
    (Monkees)
    11 Feb 1967 I'm a Believer
    (Monkees)
    18 Feb 1967 Kind of a Drag
    (Buckinghams)
    25 Feb 1967 Kind of a Drag
    (Buckinghams)
    4 Mar 1967 Ruby Tuesday
    (Rolling Stones)

11 Mar 1967 Love Is Here & Now You're Gone
    (Supremes)
    18 Mar 1967 Penny Lane
    (Beatles)

25 Mar 1967 Happy Together
    (Turtles)
    1 Apr 1967 Happy Together
    (Turtles)
    8 Apr 1967 Happy Together
    (Turtles)
    15 Apr 1967 Somethin' Stupid
    (Nancy & Frank Sinatra)

22 Apr 1967 Somethin' Stupid
    (Nancy & Frank Sinatra)

29 Apr 1967 Somethin' Stupid
    (Nancy & Frank Sinatra)

6 May 1967 Somethin' Stupid
    (Nancy & Frank Sinatra)

13 May 1967 The Happening
    (Supremes)
    20 May 1967 Groovin'
    (Young Rascals)
    27 May 1967 Groovin'
    (Young Rascals)
    3 June 1967 Respect
    (Aretha Franklin)
    10 June 1967 Respect
    (Aretha Franklin)
    17 June 1967 Groovin'
    (Young Rascals)
    24 June 1967 Groovin'
    (Young Rascals)
    1 July 1967 Windy
    (Association)
    8 July 1967 Windy
    (Association)
    15 July 1967 Windy
    (Association)
    22 July 1967 Windy
    (Association)
    29 July 1967 Windy
    (Association)
    31 Jul 1967 Light My Fire
    (Doors)
    5 Aug 1967 Light My Fire
    (Doors)
    12 Aug 1967 Light My Fire
    (Doors)
    19 Aug 1967 All You Need Is Love
    (Beatles)

26 Aug 1967 Ode to Billie Joe
    (Bobby Gentry)
    2 Sept 1967 Ode to Billie Joe
    (Bobby Gentry)
    9 Sept 1967 Ode to Billie Joe
    (Bobby Gentry)
    16 Sept 1967 Ode to Billie Joe
    (Bobby Gentry)
    23 Sept 1967 The Letter
    (Boxtops)
    30 Sept 1967 The Letter
    (Boxtops)
    7 Oct 1967 The Letter
    (Boxtops)
    14 Oct 1967 The Letter
    (Boxtops)
    21 Oct 1967 To Sir with Love
    (Lulu)
    28 Oct 1967 To Sir with Love
    (Lulu)
    4 Nov 1967 To Sir with Love
    (Lulu)
    11 Nov 1967 To Sir with Love
    (Lulu)
    18 Nov 1967 To Sir with Love
    (Lulu)
    25 Nov 1967 Incense & Peppermints
    (Strawberry Alarm Clock)
    2 Dec 1967 Daydream Believer
    (Monkees)
    4 Dec 1967 Daydream Believer
    (Monkees)
    16 Dec 1967 Daydream Believer
    (Monkees)
    23 Dec 1967 Daydream Believer
    (Monkees)
    30 Dec 1967 Hello, Goodbye
    (Beatles)

U.K

12 Aug 1967 Light My Fire
    (Doors) All You Need Is Love
    (Beatles) San Francisco (Flowers in Your Hair)
    (Scott McKenzie)
    19 Aug 1967 All You Need Is Love
    (Beatles) Up, Up & Away
    (Fifth Dimension) San Francisco (Flowers in Your Hair)
    (Scott McKenzie)
    26 Aug 1967 Ode to Billie Joe
    (Bobby Gentry) Up, Up & Away
    (Scott McKenzie)
    2 Sept 1967 Ode to Billie Joe
    (Bobby Gentry) Up, Up & Away
    (Scott McKenzie)
  • Options
    NickyNooch wrote:
    94 also had Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

1994 best year in music ever.

for sure.
    me you wouldn't recall, cause i'm not my former.