Options

Audioslave - Live In Cuba DVD

SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 827
edited June 2006 in Other Music
I stumbled across this on Amazon.com the other day and ordered the special edition with the extra cd. I need to get out more...I wasn't even aware of this.

Does anyone have this and how is it? I'm looking forward to giving it a look/listen one of these nights soon. Look at this tracklist, which includes some SG and RATH...

Set it Off
Your time Has Come
Like A Stone
Spoonman
The Worm
Gasoline
Heaven's Dead
Doesn't Remind Me
Be Yourself
Bulls on Parade (instrumental)
Sleep Now in The Fire
Out of Exile
Outshined
Shadow of the Sun
Black Hole Sun (Chris Cornell solo)
I am the Highway
Show Me How To Live
Cochise

Bonus CD of live performances of...

Be Yourself
Loud Love
Doesn't Remind Me
Out of Exile
Sleep Now in the Fire
19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    I am a big Audioslave fan and an even bigger Chris Cornell fan. I have this DVD (and I don't even own many DVDs) and it was very disappointing to me. I haven't even watched it all. It's just not a great performance, especially by Chris.

I think others will probably say some of the same.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    RiffJamRiffJam Posts: 143
    know1 wrote:
    I am a big Audioslave fan and an even bigger Chris Cornell fan. I have this DVD (and I don't even own many DVDs) and it was very disappointing to me. I haven't even watched it all. It's just not a great performance, especially by Chris.

Agree. It's worth having for the documentary bits but the show itself is disappointing and the sound quality pretty poor.
    London 28-10-96, London 29-10-96, London 20-04-06, Dublin 23-08-06, Reading 27-08-06, Marseille 09-09-06, Berlin 23-09-06, Athens 30-09-06, Madrid 09-06-07, London18-06-07, Copenhagen 26-06-07, Boston 28-06-08, London 11-08-09, Rotterdam 13-08-09, Manchester 17-08-09, London 18-08-09, Toronto 21-08-09, Philadelphia 30-10-09, Philadelphia 31-10-09, Manchester 20-06-12, Manchester 21-06-12, Stockholm 07-07-12, Leeds 08-07-14, Milton Keynes 11-07-14, Boston 05-08-16, Amsterdam 12-06-18, London 18-06-18, Krakow 03-07-18, London 18-07-18, Copenhagen 05-07-22, London 08-07-22, Seattle 28-05-24, Seattle 30-05-24
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    know1 wrote:

Yeah, I thought the same thing.

The DVD is nothing like when I saw them live.
  • Options
    DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    know1 wrote:

I bought it specifically because they did outshine.

I watched it and was severely dissapointed. Cornell just doesnt have it anymore....
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Options
    Crap. Oh well...I did read from some reviewers on amazon that the sound quality wasn't top notch, but if you turned off the surround sound it sounded better. It was $13.44 with s/h so I'm not out that much.

I'm just interested in seeing them do Spoonman and Outshined, and hearing Loud Love. But I'm sure I will be dissapointed too, as I got to see a pretty kick ass small venue Las Vegas show in March of 2003 when they played the Hard Rock, and I was a few feet from the stage. Not many rock experiences will top that, unless I'm lucky enough to be in the first 10 rows of a PJ show before I (or the boys) die.
    1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
    2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    erm i dont know about you

But aparantly Cornell had some troubles, as in he was ill. I cant remember what but i'll get back to you
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Deeve wrote:
    I bought it specifically because they did outshine.

I watched it and was severely dissapointed. Cornell just doesnt have it anymore....

He had laryngitis (sp?), the only reason they released the dvd was because the whole trip was a pretty bid deal, since no other rock bands had played in Cuba in ages (if ever). It took them long enough to get the go ahead to play there from both the US and Cuban governments, so they couldn't wait for him to get better. For the record on the five occassions I've seen him with Audioslave, he has been just fine, and their are frequent moments where he sounds absolutely jaw-dropping.

It's true Cornell does have his off days, and he seems to be quite prone to illness - although that may have been largely due to his smoking. But since he's given up smoking and has been working with a vocal coach, I think good things could be coming on the next Audioslave album/tour.
  • Options
    eloesch1eloesch1 Posts: 42
    THIS DVD SUCKS DO NOT BUY IT! Cornell sounds simply awful in this performance. He also sounds like an idiot trying to sing like zach delaroca. Also i got the special edition with the aol sessions cd and it is sub par as well. Never seen them live but it was truly saddening to me to see cornell clearly struggling so much vocally in this performance. For now stick to the studio stuff...i hear they have another album coming soon
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i too was disappointed with this DVD. and to hear chris cornell sing rage against the machine was just shattering to me. sure do soundgarden but leave RATM alone.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    He didn't sound the best in the beginning, but as it went on, I thought it got better. Someone off this board actually gave it to me for free. I would of bought it though! Tom is on fire.
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Yep I got the dvd when it was first released and thought it was good. The documentary was very informative :)
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    He had laryngitis (sp?), the only reason they released the dvd was because the whole trip was a pretty bid deal, since no other rock bands had played in Cuba in ages (if ever). It took them long enough to get the go ahead to play there from both the US and Cuban governments, so they couldn't wait for him to get better. For the record on the five occassions I've seen him with Audioslave, he has been just fine, and their are frequent moments where he sounds absolutely jaw-dropping.

It's true Cornell does have his off days, and he seems to be quite prone to illness - although that may have been largely due to his smoking. But since he's given up smoking and has been working with a vocal coach, I think good things could be coming on the next Audioslave album/tour.

thats the one ;p

and your correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngitis
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    i was fortunate enough to see them live at the garden and MAN did they rock! theres a guy on the audioslave forum whos "selling" a bootleg of the concert (10-29-05) for $7. its great quality, sound and picture. i recommend buying that instead of the cuba.

link for dvd
    >
    http://forums1.epicrecords.com/webx?50@355.w99calrqTeQ.0@.ef4c01e
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    Thanks for your input.

This past weekend I watched the entire show, the documentary, and listened to the bonus live songs on CD, and it was $14 well spent. Although...I don't know if it's going to get many re-plays through the years, but it's nice to have it if I want it. I thought the DVD looked great, the sound quality was good, the documentary was very entertaining, and the bonus CD's version of Loud Love was almost worth my money right there.

Although...I do agree that Chris didn't quite have it. I don't know if it was due to his sickness, but I think half the problem isn't his actual voice, but it's that he just didn't deliver his lines with enthusiasm. He often stands straight up and down and scans the crowd with that deer in headlights look, and he just didn't seem to give his vocals much effort at all...granted, maybe his throat was really killing him and he was going as easy as he could to save his voice. But I was a bit dissapointed with him.

Other than that, great DVD...Tom Morello does rock! I might have to check out a RATM DVD...maybe I can rent it from blockbuster.com?