Options

Why did Soundgarden break up?

SpartanacusSpartanacus Oviedo, FL Posts: 826
edited May 2006 in Other Music
Audioslave's first two cds rocked, but they'll need to put out another couple quality records for me to even begin comparing them to SG, or RATM for that matter.

I'm a huge fan of SG, AIC, PJ, and Nirvana, but I never heard the real reasons that SG broke up. They could have made so much more great music together (not that I don't love Euphoria Morning or Audioslave's cds).

What really happened? Is this knowledge even our there, and if not, does anyone have any inside info or guesses?

That being said...I hear Audioslave is coming out with a new one. Anybody know when? I suppose I can check their site. :)
19 Pearl Jam shows and still searching for Deep!
1998 (2) - East Lansing & Auburn Hills; 2000 (2) - Tampa & Noblesville; 2003 (2) - Lexington & Noblesville; 2006 (1) - Cincinnati; 2007 (1) - Chicago (Lollapalooza); 2008 (Ed in Milwaukee); 2009 (1) - Chicago; 2010 (1) - Noblesville; 2013 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2016 (Temple of the Dog in Los Angeles); 2017 (Ed at Ohana in Dana Point);
2021 (3) - Dana Point I, II & III; 2022 (3) - San Diego & Los Angeles I & II; 2025 - Southern U.S. Tour Please!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    new audioslave is meant to be out in june i think.i think SG cuz some of the band hated touring not sure exactly but i saw them on their last tour and Ben Shepherd had is back to audience the whole gig when i saw them.prick!is what it thought at the time!LOL!
    Cornell pwns u
  • Options
    offhegoes09offhegoes09 Posts: 327
    I loved Soundgarden, and was huge into RATM, but I've never really dug Audioslave that much. I mean Cornell's vocals are still pretty decent in the studio, but they just don't compare to either of the 2 previous bands. As for your question, I'm not sure.
    "The whole world will be different soon"
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    In 1996 they had been toegther for a long time, 84 or 85 I believe. The orignial bass player was replaced with Ben Sheppard before they became wildly successful, and I'm not sure if Matt Cameron was the first drummer, but they kind of split, 2 went one way 2 went the other. I think they just weren't into the group anymore. 10 years is a long time for a band to be toegther and they did produce, 3 really good albums and a couple others that are good, and they influenced a lot of people.

I mean Ultramega Ok was fun. Louder than Love was VERY Good. Badmotorfinger was great.

Superunknown was multi platinum, and Down on the Upside is fantastic and underrated.

Pearl Jam has always been my favorite band or in the top 2 but for a brief period when I actually got to see the last SG show in Atlanta before they broke up I was a tremendous SG fan. Man did they put on a good show live.

Audioslave does put on a great show too actually, because both bands were awesome live, I don't dig the music though. Audioslave has me missing SG for Cornell (or Cornell solo) and Zach with Rage. I like that they are more melodic, but the music just dosen't do it for me, it lacks direction. I don't know where to put it really. I just don't think the Audioslave albums compare to the former bands, but I'm also nearly 27 and probably biased.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    probably because chris cornell's annoying ass voice was pissing everyone off. that guy makes me cringe. except on black hole sun. that's about all i can stand.
    this heart's on fire
  • Options
    Apparently the problems started in the DOTU sessions. Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron wanted to move away from the riff-rock that had made them famous, Kim Thayil on the other hand opposed this idea.

This artistic difference obviously festered underneath the surface for the following tour.

I read an article in Classic rock that said Ben Shepherd was asked whether the rumours of a break-up were true on the morning of their last ever gig in hawaii. Apparently this was the first he'd heard of it and it pissed him off that he didn't know.

Then to make it worse, later on the gig Shepherd made his displeasure known by flipping off at Cornell and Cameron and spitting at them. Then his bass died on him which tipped him over the edge and his threw it on the floor and walked off stage. He was sent back on a plane by himself.

The article states that a month or two later Cornell went to Shepherd and Cameron's homes to tell them that he was ending the band. Then he Thayil finalised the details and that was that.

Its a shame the way it ended but as mentioned, 12 years is a long time for any group.

On a side note christ knows what Cornell is playing at settling for the mediocrity that is Audioslave. Can you believe members of two of the nineties best bands have produced such watered down garbage.

If you read past interviews on the unofficial soundgarden page it is amazing how much he has changed. The nineties chris cornell wouldn't have put out the crap that Audioslave do.

And don't get me started on Brad Wilk. iI'm certain Cornell would give anything to have Matt Cameron back with him.
    "That f***ing guy makes me wanna puke, sending a statue of himself on tour: what the f*** is all that about? What a f***ing jerk. You know what I hope? I hope he's buggering Lisa Marie! Shit, that asshole Elvis must be rolling in his grave, F***er."

Chris Cornell doesn't like Michael Jackson.
  • Options
    They broke up cos they were sick of listening and watching ed begging for Matt.

You'll be glad to hear the scabs on his knees have finally healed up.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Apparently the problems started in the DOTU sessions. Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron wanted to move away from the riff-rock that had made them famous, Kim Thayil on the other hand opposed this idea.

This artistic difference obviously festered underneath the surface for the following tour.

I read an article in Classic rock that said Ben Shepherd was asked whether the rumours of a break-up were true on the morning of their last ever gig in hawaii. Apparently this was the first he'd heard of it and it pissed him off that he didn't know.

Then to make it worse, later on the gig Shepherd made his displeasure known by flipping off at Cornell and Cameron and spitting at them. Then his bass died on him which tipped him over the edge and his threw it on the floor and walked off stage. He was sent back on a plane by himself.

The article states that a month or two later Cornell went to Shepherd and Cameron's homes to tell them that he was ending the band. Then he Thayil finalised the details and that was that.

Its a shame the way it ended but as mentioned, 12 years is a long time for any group.

On a side note christ knows what Cornell is playing at settling for the mediocrity that is Audioslave. Can you believe members of two of the nineties best bands have produced such watered down garbage.

If you read past interviews on the unofficial soundgarden page it is amazing how much he has changed. The nineties chris cornell wouldn't have put out the crap that Audioslave do.

And don't get me started on Brad Wilk. iI'm certain Cornell would give anything to have Matt Cameron back with him.

I was aware of the artistic differences i was not aware that it ended sourly with Ben Shepard. I thought it was an amiable break.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Ben Shepherd is a real asshole. I heard the story's about what he did over here during the last show and now I read the same sort of story's here.

Here in Holland he ended up spitting towards the crowd. He walked of stage after shouting at the other band members. The gig was cut short, Chris came back did Black hole sun solo and that was it.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    RiffJamRiffJam Posts: 143

Interesting..I didn't know about the Shepherd thing and it is a shame. They were such an inventive band even if Cornell doesn't always pull it off live. I've got the Audioslave Cuba gig and the sound is terrible. Still Soundgarden are probably the only band who come close to Pearl Jam for me..
    London 28-10-96, London 29-10-96, London 20-04-06, Dublin 23-08-06, Reading 27-08-06, Marseille 09-09-06, Berlin 23-09-06, Athens 30-09-06, Madrid 09-06-07, London18-06-07, Copenhagen 26-06-07, Boston 28-06-08, London 11-08-09, Rotterdam 13-08-09, Manchester 17-08-09, London 18-08-09, Toronto 21-08-09, Philadelphia 30-10-09, Philadelphia 31-10-09, Manchester 20-06-12, Manchester 21-06-12, Stockholm 07-07-12, Leeds 08-07-14, Milton Keynes 11-07-14, Boston 05-08-16, Amsterdam 12-06-18, London 18-06-18, Krakow 03-07-18, London 18-07-18, Copenhagen 05-07-22, London 08-07-22, Seattle 28-05-24, Seattle 30-05-24
  • Options
    I heard Ben Shepherd was always short-tempered in Soundgarden. Also Chris and the band's alcoholism was gettin to them by the end and I think they were dry for new inspiration. Still Down On The Upside's my favourite SG album.

Audioslave are bringing out a kick-ass new album predicted for early July and if you've heard the few new songs they played on their last tour like Sound of A Gun you'll be as exited for them as I am.
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,115
    Wow...thanks for the info guys. I always thought it was an amicable split and they wanted to pursue other bands/directions with their musical careers. I had no idea about the musical direction of the band and Sheppard's antics.
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    Interesting stuff. I loved Soundgarden back in the day and Down on the Upside is such a great and diverse album. Superunknown is of course a classic. I like Audioslave but the music is nowhere near as creative and balls out as SG. It's just not on that level. Each of the first 2 Audio albums have had 3 or 4 songs that I'm into but the rest has been shit. I'll definitely give the new one a chance though.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    i am a big fan of both rage and soundgarden, respectively. i do wish they were both still around but am thankful to have audioslave in the alternative. audioslave cant be expected to replicate either band and thats why i think people are sometimes turned off by them. i was able to see audioslave back in the fall and other than seeing PJ, it was one of the best shows ive been too. i was right in front of tom morello in the pit and it was amazing being able to be so close and watch him play.
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • Options
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Kim Thayil what happened to him?
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    this is a good read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundgarden

SG was great.. and i love audioslave.. i can't wait for the new cd!! :D
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I just don't think the Audioslave albums compare to the former bands, but I'm also nearly 27 and probably biased.

well i'm a bit older than you and i agree. i don't think i'm biased.

the original drummer for soundgarden was actually chris cornell.
    he did vox as well(duh!), but then they decided to add scott sundquist, so all chris had to do was sing. matt joined in 86 i believe. at he time he was with skin yard. sheperd came on board after the recording of louder than love after hiro left just before it's release. in between them briefly, jason everman played bass.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    orgirlorgirl Posts: 35
    thatgirl wrote:
    i am a big fan of both rage and soundgarden, respectively. i do wish they were both still around but am thankful to have audioslave in the alternative. audioslave cant be expected to replicate either band and thats why i think people are sometimes turned off by them. i was able to see audioslave back in the fall and other than seeing PJ, it was one of the best shows ive been too. i was right in front of tom morello in the pit and it was amazing being able to be so close and watch him play.

I agree, they put on amazing show with energy that is unmatched. People need to realize that they are a different band now and they are all happy as Audioslave. So deal with it!
  • Options
    audioslave are absolute shit imo
    tom morello is a stuck up dipshit.
    cornell deserves a better band.
    13th November - Melbourne
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    In defense of Ben, he's not an asshole. The guy has suffered from major depression in the past. For those of you who have had it, you know how debilitating it can be.

I will always remember a red carpet interview that c ornell did with MTv in which he said something to the effect of "We have plenty of material and can't wait to get back into the studio" that was about a month before the split if memory serves (10 years on...).

I've heard other stories that go as far back as the Superunknown sessions. All i will say is this...the musicians that we all love have the same kinds of problems that you and I have...and if anything, their problems are often amplified by success.

All one has to do is take a look at the post SG output to see that Kim and Ben haven't had anywhere near the output of Matt and Chris. Both Matt and Chris have said that touring with SG wasn't pleasant. I'd hazard a guess (and probably incorrectly) that touring took the greatest toll on Ben and Kim, since they've done a fraction of the touring that Chris and Matt have done. Lord knows it's not for lack of opportunity. I bet Kim and Ben could land a gig with anyone if that's what they wanted.

I had heard that Kim had a new project called Red X or something like that...dunno how real it is.
  • Options
    ucsbucsb Posts: 58
    MetalGod75 wrote:
    new audioslave is meant to be out in june i think.i think SG cuz some of the band hated touring not sure exactly but i saw them on their last tour and Ben Shepherd had is back to audience the whole gig when i saw them.prick!is what it thought at the time!LOL!

Hey no joke..at all...but my drummer's OTHER band...played with Ben's new band. I heard that they were pretty bad...had to start a song over-mid-song. It was at a small bar in so-cal. Matt Cameron is the drummer for this side project but didn't play the show...bc....he was recording the then new pearl jam album. Anyways my friend asked Ben why soundgarden broke up...he said that..Ben seemd kind of annoyed by the question as if "people always asked this question"...he replied...like....:"well every relationship must come to and end at some time..with death or something...i dunno.....we were all kinda just annoyed by each other....it was fun while it lasted...but this is cool too!"
  • Options
    chrisopaloozachrisopalooza Posts: 347
    being in a band for 12 years is not something that just happens...it's hard work. and when all members are zeppelin-like musicians, it gets even more complicated. they all just got on each other's nerves.

sucks though because audioslave is so god awful -- i wish chris would at least go work on solo stuff and not make midtempo half-ass anthems.
  • Options
    Ben Shepherd is a real asshole.

true, but with that talent he can be an asshole. guy's fucking amazing.
  • Options
    audioslave are absolute shit imo
    tom morello is a stuck up dipshit.
    cornell deserves a better band.

yes. i don't know if tom is stuck up, but he is unbelivably overated. horrible song writer. HORRIBLE.
  • Options
    OfTheGirlOfTheGirl Posts: 47
    fada wrote:

He played a a couple of songs with Alice In Chains the other night. He looked good, sounded good. I was really happy to see him at the show.
    ~*~*~*~*~Official Kiwi Jammer No 4 (Honorary)~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    OfTheGirl wrote:
    He played a a couple of songs with Alice In Chains the other night. He looked good, sounded good. I was really happy to see him at the show.
    last pics i saw of him were from last year and yeh he pretty much still looks the same cept for the greying facial hair.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    probably because chris cornell's annoying ass voice was pissing everyone off. that guy makes me cringe. except on black hole sun. that's about all i can stand.
    Cornell is one of the best singers in rock music history.

Next to Buckley, Plant, Vedder, Hoon, etc.

I like Audioslave a lot (and RATM for that matter) but neither compare to Soundgarden.

still making great music though.

And Cornell's live show is turning back around,... no more smoking and drinking... he sounds AMAZING now.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    *applauds Pearl Jam and toast*

We always see eye on to eye on quite a few things...especially when it comes to this subject. You are awesome my friend. Preaching to the choir. :D

(by the way, DUSTY just came on my Itunes shuffle :eek: Totally tripped out by your SG quote there.;) :p )

As far as why did the MIGHTY, UNTOUCHABLE SOUNDGARDEN break up? This is a really good read too, the badass KIM breaks it down...

http://web.stargate.net/soundgarden/articles/gw_2-98.shtml

:)

Ooooo and I knooow, he was the AIC show! :eek:!! AHH! AHHH!!!

Jeffgarden posted these on the Audioslave board...

http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=e0F2fc6A51aYc0b0d5A3aBeb4Aa61bfb
    http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=6F5222241Aa7Y5110F46b3F6f1C2a36c

It is SOOO great to see KIM out and about...and still shreddin it up. :D \m/

((~*LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY SG*~))
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    fada wrote:

My friend and I have been saying this for the past two years. It really sucks that he didn't continue making music. The man was probably one of the greatest guitarists ever and had the ability to do some amazing shit on that guitar.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Jeffgarden posted these on the Audioslave board...

http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=e0F2fc6A51aYc0b0d5A3aBeb4Aa61bfb
    http://server5.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=6F5222241Aa7Y5110F46b3F6f1C2a36c

It is SOOO great to see KIM out and about...and still shreddin it up. :D \m/

((~*LONG LIVE THE MIGHTY SG*~))

Kim's cool and whatnot...and certainly as photogenic as ever...but damn, who's that babe standing next to him? That chick is sexy! :D
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    came and went like a beer fart in a wind tunnel.:D I like this quote thanks Lydia for the article nice read.

"and have no less than three more albums worth of covers, b-sides, songs from movie soundtracks, and unreleased materials scheduled for release through the year 2000".

It's 2006 where the fuck is this for christ sake?, I want to buy it:(
    Can not be arsed with life no more.