Options

EELS (with Strings) Live At Town Hall

transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
edited February 2006 in Other Music
is beautiful. go get it. incredible version of Girl From the North Country.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    transplant wrote:

transplant! such a nice person had to be an eels fan!

So, is it already out? Damn work that has made my mind be in some other place!
    Gotta get this asap!
    Luckily a coworker will go on a biz trip to Orlando next saturday, I should be asking him to bring me this stuff!!
    Thanks for reminding me!!
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I got it the other day and its pretty good I guess. My problem with it is some of the best songs from Blinking Lights aren't even played. There is no From Which I Came/ A Magic World or To Lick Your Boots. The sound from the strings is beautiful but overall I think its a bit too low key. Electro-Shock Blues Show is so much better as a live recording.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    barcoach wrote:
    So, is it already out?
    I think it came out Tuesday. A Co-worker popped into my office and asked if I had it. He had a copy so I am now here going thru the 4th spin and just digging the hell out of it. So I'd say do what you have to in order to get it.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    I got it the other day and its pretty good I guess. My problem with it is some of the best songs from Blinking Lights aren't even played. There is no From Which I Came/ A Magic World or To Lick Your Boots. The sound from the strings is beautiful but overall I think its a bit too low key. Electro-Shock Blues Show is so much better as a live recording.
    I was a little late to the Eels game, I hated them years back when Electro-Shock came out, I really need to revisit. I am a sucker for bands who lay it all out with an orchestra-type backing. I think they complement the songs very well.

My favorite tunes from Blinking Lights happen to be here, Trouble With Dreams, Suicide Life, Railroad Man.. though I noticed they have a DVD out with more tracks from the show. that pisses me off. Make it a double CD if you have to. I want the whole show.

I'll have to put the Electro-Shock Blues Show on my check-out list.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    I was a little late to the Eels game, I hated them years back when Electro-Shock came out, I really need to revisit. I am a sucker for bands who lay it all out with an orchestra-type backing. I think they complement the songs very well.

My favorite tunes from Blinking Lights happen to be here, Trouble With Dreams, Suicide Life, Railroad Man.. though I noticed they have a DVD out with more tracks from the show. that pisses me off. Make it a double CD if you have to. I want the whole show.

All due respect Mr. Transplant but: WTF? GET YOUR ASS OUT RIGHT NOW AND GET ELECTRO-SHOCK BLUES!!!
    Really, mate, is awesome, that was the first eels records I got -when they came out, dunno why, but Novocaine for the Soul didn't stricked me at all- and got immediatly hooked. Now I'm a big, big fan of theirs. I can hook you up with the Electro Shock Blues Show recording the other poster talked about, and other live things, but first youy gotta get that album, man, nothing short than awesome... one of the greatest to come out from the 90's. E is a friggin' genius and there's no discussion to that.

On the other hand, I don't have problem with getting the cd and the dvd, I really was in need of an eels live dvd since so long.
    And just to conclude, I share your fascination with the orchestral things -when it's well done, when not, I hate it, read Metallica's one-, so let me share you my latest album on this vein: Ian Hunter - Strings Attached, is the only thing by him I have right now but is beautiful and impressive.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    transplant wrote:

All I can do is strongly urge you to give Electro-Shock Blues another chance first. Not the live show (which is also superb ) but the studio album. If you already know this I apologize but E recorded that album immediately following the death of his mother to cancer and his sister to suicide. Needless to say he pours his heart into it and the end result is nothing short of brilliant. I don't think its an exageration to call it one of the very best albums of the late 90's...Oh and you're right. The seperate DVD with more tracks is a weak way to package this thing. I'm still debating about whether or not to get it.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    All I can do is strongly urge you to give Electro-Shock Blues another chance first. Not the live show (which is also superb ) but the studio album. If you already know this I apologize but E recorded that album immediately following the death of his mother to cancer and his sister to suicide. Needless to say he pours his heart into it and the end result is nothing short of brilliant. I don't think its an exageration to call it one of the very best albums of the late 90's...Oh and you're right. The seperate DVD with more tracks is a weak way to package this thing. I'm still debating about whether or not to get it.

See, transplant?
    People urges you to get ESB!!!
    Really, I can't believe someone with such a good musical taste as you doesn't own this album.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

-J. Strummer

• Options
    ok. done :D

3-5 days for delivery.
  • Options
    transplant wrote:

for sure - anything EELS cannot be bad. go!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours