How do untrained vocalist sing so good!

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited December 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Like with Eddie Vedder, I don't think he had training, he's just a natural.
Along with a lot of other artists.
How do they get so good? Singing along to their favourite songs?
Or is it just something they are born with?
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just like great guitarists, they just do it naturally. He probably sang along with many of his favorite songs growing up (i.e. The Who) which helped him to develop his style.
  • Like guitar playing, it's all practice.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    Like guitar playing, it's all practice.

yup. there are notes that i couldn't dream of hitting 3 years ago that i can hit now. it just takes time & a lot of practice.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • What are good ways of practicing to develop your range and hit notes?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • savmansavman Posts: 230
    What are good ways of practicing to develop your range and hit notes?

I got singing lessons for a while. They helped.

Otherwise, if you dont want to spend the coin and you have a piano or guitar an option is to sing along to scales. Just do simple stuff like ma ma ma ma ma up and down the scale. Start on middle C then do the next scale a half step up etc until you hit the top of your range. You should be able to gradually increase you range. It is quite boring but for me it seemed to work.
  • I find that singing along to singers in the baritone range suits me best as I have a deep voice lol.

i.e Jim Morrison, Eddie Vedder.....
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Lessons !!
    How many people try out for Idol, only to find they can't sing for crap ?Singing along will only get you so far, unless you are a natural, in which case you would not really be asking.
    I've had lessons for about six months, and the difference is astounding. I plan on continuing for at least 2 years to get where I want to be (Singing like Ed, of course). Getting the right teacher is crucial, of course. A lot of them are a bit too precious, according to my teacher, who is a gem.
    You need someone to build on your strengths while addressing your weaknesses. A good vocal coach will maximise your potential, and unlock abilites you never thought you might have.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • BTW..thanks for the tips, keep them coming!
    Greatly appreciated!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    savman wrote:

Otherwise, if you dont want to spend the coin and you have a piano or guitar an option is to sing along to scales. Just do simple stuff like ma ma ma ma ma up and down the scale. Start on middle C then do the next scale a half step up etc until you hit the top of your range. You should be able to gradually increase you range. It is quite boring but for me it seemed to work.

that's exactly what I did. I didn't want to go to a coach b/c I wanted to develop my own voice without someone telling me what to do. just keep practicing. it also helps sometimes to learn songs on piano or guitar that you know well but are out of your range. then you keep hammering them out & eventually you'll get there.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com