Help with vocals....

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I can play guitar okay, not a master at it, been playing 3 yrs and self taught, had friends show me some chords, used the net to learn others.
Can't seem to find people with similar tastes in music as me and I am thinking of going solo. I think I have great creativity with words but one problem, I have a crap voice. I tend to sing in a baritone due to my deep voice but can sometimes falsetto.

Anyone got any tips how I can turn my crap vocals to good?
I sing along, especially to Pearl Jam to try help but not sure if it's working.
When I try scream a lyric I get a dry ticklish throat and cough lol d'oh.
I don't think I am cut out to be able to sing.

Any words of advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    first off, it's always good to explore all of your options. i think it's really important to keep writing "other songs" even if you are in a band. it leads you down different paths and opens your ears a bit---that's always a good thing.

as far as developing your voice---it's important to know what you're working with when you start. know your limits and go from there. maybe try to keep it simple at first--don't stretch yourself too thin. once you've written a couple of tunes and you're comfortable playing them, you're on your way.

everyone's voice is different. sure, you may hear and apply some vocal influence...but it's still your voice. the sooner that you can comfortable & confident with this voice, the better of you'll be.

maybe try singing along to other kinds of music...something you enjoy, of course. that may expose you to a range that you didn't know that you had.

but the key is practice, practice, practice. i don't think that i have an amazing voice, but i am comfortable with it & i can do/sing things that i thought were impossible at first. it's an ever-changing thing and i think you'll be surprised just how good your voice can fit your own music.

(hope this helps!!!)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Simply practice. I was so nervous about singing in front of people and then I put on "sets" for my friends, every month. I'd play TONS of Pearl Jam and a few random originals I wrote. Eventually, I got comfortable and, in doing those sets, I got more and more better at singing. I hope this helps, too.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Sounds like you should start covering Johnny Cash and Tom Waits.
  • SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    That sounds like the way my voice used to be, I used to try to scream with certain pearl jam songs and such and it would make my throat instantly tickl and I would cough. Yeah man, my voice is pretty all-right now, I can scream with songs now, I really enjoy it now too helps me get stress out and makes me feel high, but yeah, just keep singing, use your diaphragm not your throat and keep at it. Its just like any other muscle, it needs to be worked out to get stronger and more toned.

Good luck, trust me that sounds exactly like me, and yeah I try to sing Mark Lanegan stuff with my voice :D haha
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Thanks for the words of advise to all.

Snake,
    I agree, great stress reliever.
    I like practicing to Alive :P
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014