Grunge Guitar (for me xD)

agusjamagusjam Posts: 349
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey there, I'm about to buy a new guitar but I can't decide wich... At least I have 2 possibilities....

The thing is that I'm from Argentina and I can't afford a very good guitar.

I've been checking this guitars, they're more or less the same price here, but I can't decide yet wich of this two choose....

Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Fender Mexico Stratocaster

Can you give me a hand? I play in a rock band, lets say we play Grunge. Wich guitar would sound better for that? I'm probably buying the Epiphone, but I want to know your oppinions.

See ya, thanks!
I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Mike and Stone have both played Strats and Les Pauls. It's not the guitar that gives you a grunge sound, it's how you play.

That said, the most important part about choosing which guitar to get is how it feels in your hands. Which of the above two guitars feels more comfortable?

I have both an Epiphone LP Standard and Fender Mexican Strat and I prefer my Strat most of the time because I just like the way the neck feels compared to my Les Paul. You have to decide what's best for your hands, basically. Les Paul necks are usually a little thicker and the fingerboard a little harder to reach. BUT Les Pauls often give you a thicker sound because of the humbuckers. I wouldn't make a decision until you can play both and compare.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • I have a Fender Mustang...the Kurt Cobain guitar..(true grunge) haha.

Play both, and compare (like Nova said). I personally think the strat would give you more of the sound you're looking for (along with a BOSS DS1 Distortion). Don't try just one model of each, scope around for the right one. If you're playing the grunge I'm thinking of, Kurt, Mike Stone, and Jerry Cantrell. Mike, stone, and Kim Thayil(Soundgarden) used Les Pauls, too. I don't know if that helps much. Still, to complicate the matters more, Layne and Kim used SG's and Tele's, too...

Good luck and keep us posted!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • agusjamagusjam Posts: 349
    Cool guys thanks.

I've already played with the LP and it was beatiful, but I think I'd get on better with the Strato, wich I haven't played yet.

I'm going to do that this weekend if I can, and then I'll be making my chooise.

Thanks!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • I have a mexi Strat that I love to death and wouldnt trade for the world. It can get any sound youre looking for and just plays so smoothly. I have been looking at the epiph LP's myself for the thicker sustain sound but I couldnt be happier with my strat and I think you can do more with it then the LP, just my opinion. Happy playing
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield