Some tuning questions (NOT strings, but truss rod etc)

evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I recently bought a guitar off craigslist for $50, a Yamaha black 335 acoustic. I was actually really surprised when I saw it as its quite a nice sounding, and playing guitar for the money I paid. However there are a few things I would like to adjust but have never really tried on another guitar before and figured what better one to fiddle with then a cheap one a bought pretty much just to learn about truss rod adjustments etc. I know this has been covered at nausium (sp?) on here but you're all nice, one more couldnt hurt right :)
A little description of issues:
The neck seems straight untill about the 14th-15th fret where it kind of slopes down (so that the low EAD have a greatly higher action than the 3,4,5th frets) Now this looks to me like the plasic bridge is uneven and needs to be sanded to make it uniform. It looks like it slopes the opposite way, which would make sense given the situation. The action is really great on this guitar and its not a cut-away so having it higher on those frets doesnt affect my playing at all since you more or less cant reach them with a regular style body anyways. This whole process is more about learning then it needing to be done to have the guitar function. But I also dont want to F with it to the point that I ruin it, cause its a really solid guitar that will be great to bring to college.
Novel Over. Thanks everyone
5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, I figure, if the action is good, and it sounds good, don't fool with it too much!

Nice price on that! Generally, the EAD strings will be progressively higher off the fretboard because they vibrate more and need room to keep from buzzing on the frets. The bridge saddle is usually sloped like that for that reason and will be higher on the heavier strings.

If the neck is straight from the nut to the 14th fret, then you probably don't need to adjust the truss rod. If the neck was bowed forward or backward in the first 12 frets then you would try to adjust that.
    If you want to feel like you're doing something, put a straightedge along the neck, (Like a metal rafter square or bar that's straight) and see how straight the neck is. Haha, then just play it! :D
    Maybe change the strings and polish the frets with 0000 steel wool while the strings are off, if the frets look dull. Run the fine steel wool with the length of the fretboard and shine them up. Stick some strings on and play that sucker!
    Enjoy!
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • Oh wow ok I did not know that about the slope on the bridge etc so the strings to buzz. That makes total sense then. Wow so i guess this was a solid deal (far as im concerned) The girl I got it from had it for 6 months and said she played it maybe 10 times, and trust me, that reflected in the condition. It was even in tune when i got it! lol Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. If it aint broke Dont fix it !! Cheers
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • Oh wow ok I did not know that about the slope on the bridge etc so the strings to buzz. That makes total sense then. Wow so i guess this was a solid deal (far as im concerned) The girl I got it from had it for 6 months and said she played it maybe 10 times, and trust me, that reflected in the condition. It was even in tune when i got it! lol Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. If it aint broke Dont fix it !! Cheers

Cheers! When you DO break it, come on back and we'll fix it! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart