Help me learn to play Porch!!

evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
So I did a search but that didnt really help since "Porch" comes up a bit considering the forum is called "The Porch" haha Anyways trying to get some tips and the tabs for Porch, I just cant figure it out, that intro bit. I even watched the part on the latest dvd from Italy where the kid is playing it in the circle around all the guys singing, I WANT THAT lol can someone please help. I have searched ultimate-guitar.com and got the tabs but nothing sounds right, but im sure its just because I cant play it right Thanks all
5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    There are a few ways to play it. The easiest is probably:

x x x 2 2 x (2x)

x x 5 5 5 x (5x?)

x x 0 0 0 x (1x)

and repeat that for the intro. Figure out the strumming by listening to the song

Then the chorus is just power chords:

3 5 5 x x x

5 5 7 x x x

6 8 8 x x x (when playing it in the ending section, do not go back down for the next chord, but go up instead at the 2nd part of this shows, and repeat ad nauseum)

5 5 7 x x x

3 5 5 x x x

5 5 7 x x x

6 8 8 x x x

8 10 10 x x x

Play the middle jam as you want. E-min is usually the go-to sound.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    http://www.giventowail.com/tabs/?p=20&tabid=13

Although they play it a bit different now..with more of an extended & interupted intro if that makes sense???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTJ2jHZ2oE

Here is a good youtube example..the kid plays it pretty well...
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
    oh, and http://www.giventowail.com is your friend.
  • evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
    Thanks alot guys, I appreciate the youtube vid too, its such a huge help to see someone do it then steal that lol. Thanks alot for the help
  • Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    Youtube is blocked at my work, so I'm not sure what that video is, but here's how I play it and I think it works pretty well (and I think it's pretty close to what Ed plays when he plays it solo/acoustic...he definitely does NOT play it like is stated above (although I know that is the official tab)):

Intro/verse:

- - - - - -
    2 2 2 - - -
    2 2 2 - - -
    2 2 2 2 - -
    - - - 3 2 2

Chorus:

3 5 6 5 3 5 6 8
    3 5 6 5 3 5 6 8
    - - - - - - - -
    - - - - - - - -
    2 4 5 4 2 4 5 7
    3 5 6 5 3 5 6 8

Solo:

- - - -
    - - - -
    - - - - (x2)
    9 7 4 5
    7 5 2 3
    - - - -

then

- - - -
    - - - -
    9 7 4 5 (x3)
    9 7 4 5
    7 5 2 3
    - - - -

then

- - -
    - - -
    9 7 6
    9 7 7
    7 5 7

Like I said, this is how I play it, hopefully I tabbed it out correctly. Obviously, listen for strumming patterns and whatnot, it's actually pretty easy.
  • evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
    thank you so much everyone, I think I have it worked out now so Ill just keep practicing (which I find ironic since its a pearl jam song and we all know Eddie would never practice! ;) )
    Uncle Neil wrote:
    Youtube is blocked at my work, so I'm not sure what that video is, but here's how I play it and I think it works pretty well (and I think it's pretty close to what Ed plays when he plays it solo/acoustic...he definitely does NOT play it like is stated above (although I know that is the official tab)):

Like I said, there are many ways to play it and I just gave what I think is the easiest.
  • Red BurritoRed Burrito Posts: 476
    Yeah, it just depends on how you wanna play it, like the original recording or like Ed's solo verision...either way they are both kick ass versions.

I only play acoustic so I tend to play Ed's version more often than not myself, especially his solo.

Good luck and stick with!
    the sorrow grows bigger, when the sorrow's denied
    thank you so much everyone, I think I have it worked out now so Ill just keep practicing (which I find ironic since its a pearl jam song and we all know Eddie would never practice! ;) )

Practice makes perfect my friend, and don't be fooled, I'm sure Ed practices plenty.
  • IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    http://www.giventowail.com/tabs/?p=20&tabid=13

Although they play it a bit different now..with more of an extended & interupted intro if that makes sense???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTJ2jHZ2oE

Here is a good youtube example..the kid plays it pretty well...

I think he is on the message pit but can't remember his username.
    Uncle Neil wrote:
    Intro/verse:

- - - - - -
    2 2 2 - - -
    2 2 2 - - -
    2 2 2 2 - -
    - - - 3 2 2

Don't you play open A string before going back to A chord ? I find it better like this but I'm not sure it's the right way.
  • corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    I think he is on the message pit but can't remember his username.
    DiRtyFranK38, seems like a cool kid :cool:

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=294610
    Don't you play open A string before going back to A chord ? I find it better like this but I'm not sure it's the right way.

Yeah I mess around with it and play it a little different every time, I was just trying to give the overall idea with that tab.