How Old to Start Guitar?

keithcandylkeithcandyl Posts: 82
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
My daughter just turned 7 and I started taking her to piano lessons. She's done really well with that and I never have to make her practice, she's always excited to sit down at the keyboard - total opposite of her older sister. Anyway, she has been persistently asking to learn guitar. I'm thinking about getting her a 3/4 size acoustic from Guitar Center. It runs about $119. But I'd love anyone's opinion about whether 7 is too young for her to take lessons, and whether the small guitar I'm considering is ok vs the even cheaper Walmart starter guitar.

Thanks!
And if there's something you'd like to do. Oh, just let me continue to blame you.

EV Chi 1, 08/21/08
EV Memphis, 06/20/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HebejebeHebejebe Posts: 108
    I can't comment on the guitar but as for lessons I don't think there is a case of too young if a child wants to do it and enjoys practising.

I took piano lessons when I was young but I just wanted to be great without having to do any work :)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    That's awesome! I'd definitely get her a 3/4 scale. 7 is not too young to take lessons. No way is it. If she is keen, i would definitely get her to lessons and see how she goes with that.

One thing you have to remember, is that kids can get bored very quickly, and the things she will learn from having lessons will help keep her interested. She will learn more in one lesson than she will from a month of just playing around herself.

For her practising, i'd suggest that little and often is best. If she were older, i'd say at least an hour a day, but i think getting a 7 year old to practise that much may take the fun out of it. 15 to 30 mins a day initially would be enough.

All the best!
  • Both nephews of a buddy of mine, started around that age. But they went with a normal scale guitar, and just capo'd up the neck. Then moved the capo down the neck as they got older.

The problem with 3/4 scale guitars that I have found is poor intonation and action. Could possible be frustrating. Someone else might have had more recent experience, maybe the quality has in proved in this area.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • My daughter began guitar lessons when she was 6. She has been playing for about two years now. It's not so much a age thing as it is a comprehension and attention span thing. Each child is different.
  • Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    I teach music for a living and have a lot of students at that age. Dedication and persistance is something that i guess a lot of us didnt have at that age but if she realy wants to give it a go let her. The biggest hurdle for anybody is just holding the strings down. Your fingers are gonna hurt till you build callouses so a good exercise to start off with is just have her go up and down the fretboard on each string and try to hold a note at different positions. Buzzing and plinking are commonplace but once ya get the hang of it you can move on to simple melodies like Mary had a little lamb or Jingle bells. Once its in their head that they can create a song pretty much the skys the limit.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My daughter just turned 7 and I started taking her to piano lessons. She's done really well with that and I never have to make her practice, she's always excited to sit down at the keyboard - total opposite of her older sister. Anyway, she has been persistently asking to learn guitar. I'm thinking about getting her a 3/4 size acoustic from Guitar Center. It runs about $119. But I'd love anyone's opinion about whether 7 is too young for her to take lessons, and whether the small guitar I'm considering is ok vs the even cheaper Walmart starter guitar.

Thanks!

Two things:

1) age seven is an excellent time to start an instrument
    2) don't get a cheap instrument that sounds bad and won't stay in tune because it'll discourage your child
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    Rather than a 3/4 guitar, try a Daisy Rock Guitar. The scale is smaller, but it does not have the intonation and action problems of a 3/4 guitar.

http://www.daisyrock.com/

http://www.daisyrock.com/faq.htm#DIFFERENCE
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • frenchsfrenchs Posts: 34
    I think she'd probably get a lot out of the lessons, especially if the piano and guitar teacher's knew and were able to cross-reinforce the theory.

When I took my piano lab in college, I had been playing guitar for 6 years at that point. Every theory thing (when taught on piano) I was doing was an "ah-ha!" moment when I realized how it was applying to the guitar. Especially intervals and chord formation.

As far as guitar, small one might be good for now. But like others said, tone and intonation isn't always great, and if she likes guitar, she'll want something bigger down the road.
  • Thanks to all for your advise. And thanks for the link to daisy guitar. It's cool stuff!
    And if there's something you'd like to do. Oh, just let me continue to blame you.

EV Chi 1, 08/21/08
    EV Memphis, 06/20/09
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Evo2010 wrote:
    I teach music for a living and have a lot of students at that age. Dedication and persistance is something that i guess a lot of us didnt have at that age but if she realy wants to give it a go let her. The biggest hurdle for anybody is just holding the strings down. Your fingers are gonna hurt till you build callouses so a good exercise to start off with is just have her go up and down the fretboard on each string and try to hold a note at different positions. Buzzing and plinking are commonplace but once ya get the hang of it you can move on to simple melodies like Mary had a little lamb or Jingle bells. Once its in their head that they can create a song pretty much the skys the limit.

good advice.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    started 11 mos. ago, best investment my mom has ever made!! i absolutely love it! i play every day, whenever i can!! its such an escape!
  • kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    My 7-year old son is starting lessons this week...he already has an acoustic (I can't remember the brand--First Act, maybe). He got a 3/4 electric and a small amp (with a COOL Union Jack strap). We got the acoustic just to see how interested he was last Christmas.

Mommy also got herself an electric, and I have been plinking around all day. My right pointer finger feels like I burned it on the stove. LOL I start lessons next week, too. I am 36, so I hope that's not too old to learn new tricks!

I have seen the Daisy Rock guitars--very cute for the younger set! Good luck and I hope she loves it!

Take care,
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    justam wrote:
    Two things:

1) age seven is an excellent time to start an instrument
    2) don't get a cheap instrument that sounds bad and won't stay in tune because it'll discourage your child

This is the best advice. Good tone, and good tuning is conducive to pratctice, and pleasing to everybody's ears.
    Buy a tuner as well. Being in tuen is critical to developing her pitch sense.

I might add, that if she is doing well at piano, maybe jsut let her do that for a while, rather than fragmenting her efforts.
    Piano is a superb, probably the best, instrument for developing true musicianship, which she will then be able to apply to any instrument.
    Music is not a competetion.