Just starting electric guitar...help!

kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
edited June 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey!

Okay, I am totally new to it, and this might be a stupid question, but...

It seems like the chords are "echoing" out too long--they aren't crisp. Is this me, the crappy amp I have, or the guitar?

I am thinking it's me, but I would love some opinions.

Thanks!
I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    not sure what you mean by "echoing"? you mean they are sustaining too long, or the individual notes are sounding mushy? too much distortion for what you want to play?

you'll probably find that open chords on a distorted amp don't sound as good as they do on an acoustic or a clean electric. a lot of what's used on electric are barre chords and power chords. and you may want to learn the very simple technique of string muting....either palm muting with your picking hand or muting some with your fretting hand. very common on electric and very simple to quieten down the out of control chords, if that's what you were referring to.

maybe this helps, though not completely sure what exactly you were asking.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    if you need examples of what I'm meaning by "string muting", the Nirvana song "smells like teen spirit" is an example of fret hand muting. it is the "chugga chugga chugga" sound in between the chords during the loud part of the song. palm muting is common in a lot of punk and heavy metal songs and pretty much any Metallica song (from their earlier albums at least, when they were a thrash metal band) are prime examples of thick palm muting. these songs are all distorted and would be out of control and noisy if not for the muting quietening things down. it's a great effect imo. the Van Halen song "you really got me now" is an example where muting is used by both hands.
  • kcherubkcherub Posts: 961
    MLC2006 wrote:
    not sure what you mean by "echoing"? you mean they are sustaining too long, or the individual notes are sounding mushy? too much distortion for what you want to play?

you'll probably find that open chords on a distorted amp don't sound as good as they do on an acoustic or a clean electric. a lot of what's used on electric are barre chords and power chords. and you may want to learn the very simple technique of string muting....either palm muting with your picking hand or muting some with your fretting hand. very common on electric and very simple to quieten down the out of control chords, if that's what you were referring to.

maybe this helps, though not completely sure what exactly you were asking.

Thanks! I was beginning to think I sounded like too much of a dumbass for anyone to respond! :) I have wanted to learn for years, and after having the "C" (little b*tch) last year, just decided to go for it!

Okay, yes. I did mean that they are sustaining too long. I start lessons this week, but have been trying to learn the basic chords before then. Okay, so it's just E, C and D so far but I am working on it. I will try what you suggested and see what happens!

I printed out a tab to practice on, so that is what I have been picking around with. I am just anxious to get going. You never know how long I have (that's a joke...dry humour...you gotta take it with a grain of salt).

Thanks so much!
    I still want you all to "take care"--I am just damn tired of typing it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kcherub#p/a/u/0/N-UQprRqSwo