Headphones

chopschops Posts: 19
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
My current living situation means that more often than not I can't play my guitar through my amp, or even my acoustic at any real volume. I've spent the last week or two playing "unplugged" which is tragically unsatisfying. I've decided to look into getting some headphones, but have noticed they get pretty exxy, and don't really know what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any experience plugging headphones straight into an amp? Does it sound very good? Is it worth the price of the headphones? Are there are brands, or types (studio or something) that I should consider specifically?

While playing without an amp is no good, I don't really want to fork out $1xx for something that isn't much better.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chops wrote:
    My current living situation means that more often than not I can't play my guitar through my amp, or even my acoustic at any real volume. I've spent the last week or two playing "unplugged" which is tragically unsatisfying. I've decided to look into getting some headphones, but have noticed they get pretty exxy, and don't really know what I'm looking for.

Does anyone have any experience plugging headphones straight into an amp? Does it sound very good? Is it worth the price of the headphones? Are there are brands, or types (studio or something) that I should consider specifically?

While playing without an amp is no good, I don't really want to fork out $1xx for something that isn't much better.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
    It's not that good but it gets the job done. Make sure you can a headphone jack on the amp.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I had a question just like this a couple of months ago...

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=293692

So I picked up a set of Yamaha Headphones for around 50$. Good investment.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Make sure the headphones have a very flat frequency response. Don't get any headphones with
    added bass or turbo bass like what some people use for an I-Pod/CD. You'll want to get the best
    tone you can - the boosted bass frequencies in those headphones effect the original amps tone.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    like ian said, make sure they're flat.

last time i was in guitar center they were selling Sennheiser HD280 Pro's for $89. i don't know what you're price range is, but those aren't too expensive and would be good.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • chopschops Posts: 19
    Thanks everyone for your advice. My mate who is a DJ reccomended those Senheiser Pro's, even though he no longer used them, he said they were really good quality, and were really comfortable over a longer period of time. I just wasn't sure if playing guitar had different requirements to DJing/Ipod though. I think I may go for a pair like that.

Thanks again.
    It's not that good but it gets the job done. Make sure you can a headphone jack on the amp.

I never thought about that! I just assumed I could plug them in. My amp (FM65R) doesn't have anything that specifically says Headphones, though it has two inputs (obviously can't use them), and three others labelled 'footswitch', 'pre-out' and 'power in'. Could I plug headphones into any of those?
  • chops wrote:
    I never thought about that! I just assumed I could plug them in. My amp (FM65R) doesn't have anything that specifically says Headphones, though it has two inputs (obviously can't use them), and three others labelled 'footswitch', 'pre-out' and 'power in'. Could I plug headphones into any of those?
    Plug them into your guitar? I've never heard of that working unless you have something to power the sound. I'd probably say Pre-out but I might be wrong.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
    Sorry, I didn't phrase that very well. I meant I didn't think to check whether the amp actually had a headphone jack in the first place. (Though if you could plug headphones straight into a guitar, and get a reasonable tone, that would be kind of cool...)
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    chops wrote:
    nope, you'll probably need to get something like one of these:
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/amplifiers/mini-headphone
    The Vox amPlug works okay:
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Amplug-AC30-Headphone-Amp?sku=481676
    I used one of these on two different tours (I used it for practicing on the tour bus):
    http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toneworks-Pandora-PX4D-Personal-MultiEffect-Processor?sku=152176
    I still use it at night - Mine was just the older blue PX4.
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • I have these. They're cheaper and good quality. You can plug them into either an amp or a regular headphone jack on an ipod or walkman. http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Closed-back-Dynamic-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000CMLZFK/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1225007979&sr=8-16