I want to start playing guitar.

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Im 18 and I love music, im always around my friends who play, and I have so many ideas of what would sound good and what wouldn't.. I want to play already. My friend will be teaching be, he is the most amazing guitarist I know. Better than most older men. He will be personally teaching me at his house, instead of charging me because he teaches people how to play.. its his job.

Whats a good starter guitar?
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Acoustic or electric, what price range we talking, need a bit more info
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • Acoustic or electric, what price range we talking, need a bit more info
    Electric, maybe $200 a bit over..
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Well I dont even think I need a guitar.. my friend has 3.. he has a Les Paul from the 80's and a custom Carvin, and a Ibanez. He would let me use them when im there.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2

• Learn on an acoustic. Fender has a good starter package (that's what I got)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I agree in that I think starting with acoustic is a better choice. It will train your fingers better and you'll be able to hear if your making mistakes more clearly then if its a electric with distortion etc. If you are dead set on electric however there are several start up sets (guitar, amp, tuner etc) If you really want to learn how to play you will want your own so you can practice whenever. I dont think you'll get very far if your only exposure to a guitar is borrowing your friends while your there. Maybe for a time to see if you like it and if its really something you want to do...
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    Forget all those people who tell you to start on acoustic. If you want to play electric, play it. Like others have said, starter packs are ok, and the standard beginner guitar is the Squire Strat. You can probably get something decent off Ebay for under $200. If your friend values his guitars, he probably won't let you touch his Les Paul or Custom. Nobody touches MY guitars unless they have proved to be competent at playing. I've heard and seen too many stories about some kid that grabs a guitar and breaks the neck because they didn't know what they were doing. Just a fair warning with your friend.
  • If you want an electric, the Squier Strat pack is amazing.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Learn on whatever you want. There are pros and cons to playing exclusively on electric or acoustic, but it isn't a big enough difference to warrant playing something you don't want to.

I've spent a good 6 months playing only acoustic and when I went back to my electric I found I had become a really sloppy player. The slightest tap on a string on an electric makes noise, which obviously won't happen with an acoustic. So all the talk about being about to hear your mistakes more clearly on acoustic isn't the whole truth. Playing acoustics and electrics are slightly different arts, but you can learn the basics on either.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Im 18 and I love music, im always around my friends who play, and I have so many ideas of what would sound good and what wouldn't.. I want to play already. My friend will be teaching be, he is the most amazing guitarist I know. Better than most older men. He will be personally teaching me at his house, instead of charging me because he teaches people how to play.. its his job.

Whats a good starter guitar?

I'm so glad you started this thread because it helped me to make a decision about buying a starter package AND I DID IT !!! I just ordered an Ibanez acoustic package from Sam Ash. I went with the most inexpensive because I have been known to start things I don't finish and ... well, I don't want to throw money into the wind. Good luck with your lessons !
    "Tweet"

"Chirp"
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Lessons are key. Unless you are the type of person who is very self-motivated, it's very easy to quit learning on your own and just forget about guitar (believe me, I did it about 5 times before I stuck with it).
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • I started with a Squire and it was a great guitar. Don't go too cheap (like that junk you'd buy at target or something) because they won't stay in tune and all the problems you have with them will turn you off to playing completely.

One more vote for a squire.

If possible go to a guitar store and play different ones so you can get one that feels good in your hands, make your friend go with you but don't let him choose for you, make your own decision.

If you go acoustic, I had an epiphone as my first acoustic and it was a good guitar. I saw a nice lookin one at Guitar Center this weekend for $170

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-AJ200SR-Advanced-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-482837-i1400663.gc
  • jrnycjrnyc Posts: 537
    Wish I was 18, but I am 44 and going to take some lessons. Just want to get a greater appreciation for the guitar and learn some songs. I think my chance at being a rock star passed many years ago :)!

Never played a guitar in my life, but recently bought 2 collectible guitars and now have the itch to learn to play. I need to get out and find a guitar to play, will be keeping my eyes on this thread.
  • jrnyc, my friend (and any other older aspiring rockers, here), if you've got a minute I bet that you would LOVE this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Star-Mommy-Life-Rocker/dp/0806528982/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1220671183&sr=1-1

"Rock Star Mommy: My Life As A Rocker Mom" by Judy Davids (co-founder of the Mydols) is easily one of the ten most inspiring books I've ever read (I've got my Bachelor's in English, major in creative writing, minor in American Lit and I read a LOT). It's about a woman in her 40's who finally decided it was her time to shine. So she talked to some friends, put together a band, learned how to play... and has made herself (and her music - which is really good. Think White Stripes meets Sleater-Kinney, kind of) into a famous, awesome artist. She's been in People magazine, on a bunch of TV shows... her accomplishments are endless (as are her bands), and just continue to grow.

I don't know anyone who wouldn't love her book, and I can't recommend it enough.

And keep on rocking... all of y'all :).

jrnyc wrote:
    Wish I was 18, but I am 44 and going to take some lessons. Just want to get a greater appreciation for the guitar and learn some songs. I think my chance at being a rock star passed many years ago :)!

Never played a guitar in my life, but recently bought 2 collectible guitars and now have the itch to learn to play. I need to get out and find a guitar to play, will be keeping my eyes on this thread.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    don't bother learning to play guitar - you only end up getting GAS . . .
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫