Binuaral Recording. What is it?

Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can somebody dumb this down from me.. I understand it makes you feel as if you are in the room.. while they are recording. Since the mic's are in each ear do you hear things with the left that you would hear if it was happening in your left ear in the studio?

I know Sleight of Hand, Of The Girl, Rival and others were recorded like this.. but Im confused on what it is..

EDIT** Binaural.
2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's a recording process that mimics the human ears. So if you listen in headphones, it sounds like you are sitting in front of the instrument.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    The binaural mike resembles a plastic human head with microphones where the ears would be. Binaural recording is basically just one technique out of many to do a stereo recording. It was designed to more accurately record a stereo source, as a human would hear it.

With a binaural mike, you basically set it out there in front of you and it's a stereo recording device that simulates what things would sound like in your head.

Kinda like school when you weren't listening and the teacher would say 'listening ears on!!. Well, not really ;)
  • dwrocks1dwrocks1 Posts: 23
    Binaural recording really is when all the instruments play towards the center of the room where the mic's are. We broke this down in school and it was pretty neat, however when they edit tracks after they are put down it gets pretty nasty. But yes, it gives the feeling of "being in front of the instruments".
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    Is that why PJ names their album that? Because of the way they recorded it?

So if this is a recording technique how do you edit/mix/master it?
  • Wow, I learn something everyday. I had no clue about this. Thanks for the links and information. :)
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    that match box sound was CRAZY. I pan my stuff 75% left and 75% right and one in the middle at lower volume. But this is more up and down

That head is a weird mic!