Pedal to boost bass?

Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
So, I have a Marhshall Valvestate 8080 (1st generation), and it's actually a very nice amp despite what people say although it has very poor bass, and too much treble. I was thinking about getting a Bad Monkey to boost the bass on it, as I hear they can do this very well. However I hear EHX LPB-1's are good too, and I've been told that Dano Fish n Chips will do the job well too.

What's the best option?
What the fuck is this world?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• An EQ is by far your best option. Brilliant for getting the exact tone you want. And yes, the Danelectro Fish and Chips is a great EQ.
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I have an MXR 10 band EQ and it works good. the bass on my Fender Blues Deluxe is also a little flat.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    * The Bad Monkey is okay, but it's kind of like a BD-2 Blues Driver except with a bit more eq control.

* +1 on the EQ-pedal.
    I've used one on/off for years to give me a few db's of fairly clean boost, but you can tailor your sound to suit your needs.

* Xotic RC Booster (RC=Really-Clean) is another good choice - click: Scott Henderson RC-Booster Video turned me on to
    the RC-Booster. Watch the video and he shows how he uses it, and what it sounds like with and without the pedal - nice.

Here's a demo video from Pro-Guitar-Shop: click: Pro Guitar Shop Xotic RC-Booster (watch the whole video because he
    goes through the whole gamut of tones you can get using a Stratocaster with it - all PGC demos are good).
    The Xotic AC Booster, BB Preamp, & RC Booster are all great pedals - All have volume, gain, and an active EQ (Bass & Treble).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

BTW, maybe think about eventually upgradeing to a tube amp - With the $$ you'll spend on a pedal to fix the sound, and the fact
    that for all practical purposes your amp is solid state, you might be able to get a tube amp that has more of the sound you're after,
    thus better suits your needs (the 12AX7 (ECC83) in its Boost/OD channel doesn't really count). Also, a single "12 speaker doesn't
    really produce that full a tone, so possibly try hooking your amp up to another 8ohm 2X12 cab and see if your tone gets any better.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    that is a pretty decent amp I think too.

It's the Korean ones where they just took all the money out of production

The british valvestates were alright.

what speaker config do you have?

You can get a Boss Graphic EQ pedal pretty cheaply and there are some awesome mods for them.

You're right on though Ian, in the end, you could spend a ton of money putting A1 on a tough cut of beef. To save up a bit longer and get a better amp will help you in the long run.

You're probably better off saving it and getting a tube amp and a cabinet that can move more air like a 2x12 or 4x12 with a closed back so you get a tighter sound with richer fuller bass. Even with good clean and rich tube power you might find a 1x12 configuration simply lacking.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • TrauTrau Posts: 188
    In the shadow of the light from a black sun
    Frigid statue standing icy blue and numb
    Where are the frost giants Ive begged for protection?
    I'm freezing

Are you afraid, afraid to die
    Don't be afraid, afraid to try
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Trau wrote:
    That's for a Bass, not a Guitar (frequency response is different).
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Trau wrote:
    this one's great, I have one but for my bass. The same exists for guitar though... called GE-7 instead of GEB-7
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    that is a pretty decent amp I think too.

It's the Korean ones where they just took all the money out of production

The british valvestates were alright.

what speaker config do you have?

You can get a Boss Graphic EQ pedal pretty cheaply and there are some awesome mods for them.

You're right on though Ian, in the end, you could spend a ton of money putting A1 on a tough cut of beef. To save up a bit longer and get a better amp will help you in the long run.

You're probably better off saving it and getting a tube amp and a cabinet that can move more air like a 2x12 or 4x12 with a closed back so you get a tighter sound with richer fuller bass. Even with good clean and rich tube power you might find a 1x12 configuration simply lacking.
    It's just a Celastion 12" speaker, which came as stock. I would love to save for a tube amp, but I simply don't have the money at the moment! So many concert tickets to buy!

Thanks for the advice everyone. :)
    What the fuck is this world?