Jamming tips?

fleahorsefleahorse Posts: 50
edited February 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok i admit, im in a band, and we just cant seem to jam, it could be that the chemistry just isnt right, but i do want this band to work, so ill be positive, and say we just need......something????

basically, does anyone have any tips on how to start a jam,

weve got 2 guitarists,

so i thought, get some rythm happenin, then another guitar soloing, of course that way not much comes, so does any one have any helpful tips?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Listen to one another. It's the key. Listen to the other guitarist's phrasing. Get some call and response going. Practice some unison parts, and have a go at varying riffs and themes in ways that harmonise. And even in the most sprawling jam, think about a sense of structure. Does your solo complement what the other guitarist is playing? Are you adding too many notes? Conversely, are you overdoing the less is more routine? And how's your rhythm playing?
  • fleahorse wrote:
    ok i admit, im in a band, and we just cant seem to jam, it could be that the chemistry just isnt right, but i do want this band to work, so ill be positive, and say we just need......something????

basically, does anyone have any tips on how to start a jam,

weve got 2 guitarists,

so i thought, get some rythm happenin, then another guitar soloing, of course that way not much comes, so does any one have any helpful tips?

Lots of good stuff from FPC up there. Listening is the biggest thing. Something cool you can do is try to make it progress into another song. Lots of jam bands (Phish, Grateful Dead, practically all of them) like to segue songs. When I'm playing with my friends, I like to kind of noodle the first song into the second.

For example, we'll be playing Neil Young's "Down By the River", which the chorus is just G-A-D. I'll slow it down a little bit and clean up the guitar and before you know it, we're playing Fatboy Slim's "Praise You". That's a really easy example because nothing changes except the tempo and the strumming pattern just a little bit.

Definitely listen to each other. Less can be more. It's better to make average music than shitty music. Jamming requires risks, but don't overstep your ability. Also, when you're other guitarist is soloing, cut down your volume a little and allow him to step forward. He should do the same for you. You can't be a great lead player without being a good rhythm player as well. Simplicity can be key.

EDIT: Also, don't be afraid to communicate verbally/body language while your playing. Go ahead and signal things. It helps to have a leader in a band that jams.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Don't think about it when it's happening, just play. If it sounds bad, fix it, but do not stop because you played a sour note (it kills the jam when someone stops abruptly). My guitarist has the same problem so we let him create a rhythym or start off and the rest of us will play with him to boost his confidence.

Maybe you all should try playing a simple 4/4 rhythym at the same time, and after a few measures when you all have it each of you could change it a little bit to complement the jam.