Harmonica players?

redmosquito10redmosquito10 Posts: 568
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
The 2 hole of my harmonica has started to sound extremely airy/quiet on my breath-in notes. Anyone else ever have this problem/ know if there's a way I can fix it? I have a Hohner Marine Band 1896, C. Any help would be much appreciated
"Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    I'm not expert but I don't think Marine Bands can be repaired. I've had a few go out on me and was told there's not much to do.
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    P.M. or ask PJtaper, he's played the harmonica for years.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • jordn6971jordn6971 Posts: 675
    From my experience though most harp's the notes just start to go bad after a while and then it's probably easier or cheaper just to buy a new one, I think the trick is to find which cheaper model will last the longest, and then buy a bunch of them.
    "There was a band playing in my head, and I felt like getting high"
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 782
    I played harp for years, and you have two choices. Either find someone who can show you how to tune or repair your harp (this can be very difficult), or spend the $22 to buy a new one. I think I had to replace 1.5 harps per gig. Switching to the Special 20 might help. The special 20 uses plastic instead of wood and hence can last longer. If I ever learn how to tune/repair my harps, Ive probably got about 100 of them with just one or two holes blown out.

q
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I'm in the same boat, I have HUNDREDS of broken harps, I usually end up throwing them when I am drinking, smashing them, or giving them away... just one note can really be annoying!
    I like to buy the cheapest harps possible, they aren't as easy to play or bend, but they break just as fast as the good ones...
    Musicians friend used to sell Jambone harmonicas, you could get 3 for $10, any key...

Oh, try soaking your harps in water after you play them, or rinse them out really well, then make sure you shake out all the water really well... and rinse your mouth out before you play, nothing kills a harp faster than drinking and playing(which is sadly when I am always playing)
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Just replace them.

When I was gigging regularly, My harps would last approximately 2-3 shows (using them about 3-5 songs per night in a Rolling Stones Tribute Show)
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.