possible mistake on tens release

PJim87PJim87 Posts: 18
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok I am not sure if a thread bout this exists or what not. I looked briefly but did not look extensively thru the forums. On the ten album, There is a dead note on release, at approximately 3:10-:3:18 ish. Its hard to catch, but if ya listen closely its there. Now was this left in there on purpose or am i amazing and caught it. Sorry if this was caught and brought up before but i was rather pleased with myself for catching this without ever being told or anything.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think it was a one take thing, so they left it that way!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    it's like eddie going flat for a brief second while singing army reserve..."save your*self*"

Lot's of little things in Save You actually...pan that one and see what you can hear. It gives a cool raw feel that is MISSING in today's music!

Also in Comatose, the chorus is:

D A D --- D A E

at one quick point I believe it was Stone who played it as:

D A D --- D E E

Honest mistake, but they're human, and captured magic in the studio and kept whatever flub may have been there. No need to be completely Polished! That destroys the feel!
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    it's like eddie going flat for a brief second while singing army reserve..."save your*self*"

Lot's of little things in Save You actually...pan that one and see what you can hear. It gives a cool raw feel that is MISSING in today's music!

D A D --- D A E

D A D --- D E E

Honest mistake, but they're human, and captured magic in the studio and kept whatever flub may have been there. No need to be completely Polished! That destroys the feel!
    Yeah. There's that feeling in my recording (I think Ian and PJ_Gurl still have it) where my voice flubs up a bit and I wanted to keep it in there...shows we're all human and nothing is perfect...there's ALWAYS room for progress and change...ESPECIALLY in music!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175

D A D --- D A E

D A D --- D E E

i totally agree with you.
    Yeah. There's that feeling in my recording (I think Ian and PJ_Gurl still have it) where my voice flubs up a bit and I wanted to keep it in there...shows we're all human and nothing is perfect...there's ALWAYS room for progress and change...ESPECIALLY in music!
    you can hear the raw emotion in there. it's a great song and you did an awesome job.
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    you can hear the raw emotion in there. it's a great song and you did an awesome job.
    I appreciate that so much. I thought about touching it up or even redoing the whole track over again for a long time. It's a first recording and, while Eddie Vedder and the boys are well established as amazing musicians, I'm not so I wanted my first recording to be flawless. I think after listening to some Nirvana stuff(especially that final note in Smells Like Teen Spirit and You Know You're Right), I realized the song would lose the emotion. It's a lost art in music today...everyone's must be "flawless" which is a big letdown when you see them live. While I'm not looking to make it big or anything, I still wonder if I should change it because, after replaying the song, it almost made me cringe. We're our own worst critic which makes me wonder how Ed thinks when he hears himself on the radio or in the studio playback.

PS. If you listen to "Blood", you can hear Ed's voice die out when he sceams "IT'S MY BLOOD!!!" before Mike's little guitar riff (start at the 1:03 mark)
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    That's one of the reasons I love listening to "Mirrorball".... it sounds like they recorded the rehersals for the record, and then decided to just release that.

I can understand wanting to clean some stuff up in a record, but I really like just finding one complete take from the entire band, warts and all, that captures more than just the notes, but the essence and emotion as well.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • PJim87PJim87 Posts: 18
    I really hope i wasnt taken the wrong way when i posted this. I think it is awesome that it is there. And i totally agree in the sense of it shows that they are human also and it happens. Which is a major part of why we all love this band so much, but I was more or less just pleased with myself for catching it, and felt like sharing with others.
    PJim87 wrote:
    I really hope i wasnt taken the wrong way when i posted this. I think it is awesome that it is there. And i totally agree in the sense of it shows that they are human also and it happens. Which is a major part of why we all love this band so much, but I was more or less just pleased with myself for catching it, and felt like sharing with others.
    Oh no dude, you're totally fine. I'm actually glad you kinda started this thread. It's pretty cool to discuss this sort of issue.
    I appreciate that so much. I thought about touching it up or even redoing the whole track over again for a long time. It's a first recording and, while Eddie Vedder and the boys are well established as amazing musicians, I'm not so I wanted my first recording to be flawless. I think after listening to some Nirvana stuff(especially that final note in Smells Like Teen Spirit and You Know You're Right), I realized the song would lose the emotion. It's a lost art in music today...everyone's must be "flawless" which is a big letdown when you see them live. While I'm not looking to make it big or anything, I still wonder if I should change it because, after replaying the song, it almost made me cringe. We're our own worst critic which makes me wonder how Ed thinks when he hears himself on the radio or in the studio playback.
    if it was me, i wouldn't want it to lose the emotion. that's what made me connect with it so well in the first place. lyrics plus emotion = communication. and that's what i felt when i listened to it. that's just my opinion though. it's your song dude, you gotta be happy with it :), but as a listener i connected with it.

maybe ian can give his 2c? he's recorded many things. i believe he has heard your song too.

either way, i liked it. very cool indeed.
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    That note isn't hard to hear, it stands right out and it's part of what makes Pearl Jam a band that keeps you coming back.

Peace
    Just me
    Pj_Gurl wrote:
    if it was me, i wouldn't want it to lose the emotion. that's what made me connect with it so well in the first place. lyrics plus emotion = communication. and that's what i felt when i listened to it. that's just my opinion though. it's your song dude, you gotta be happy with it :), but as a listener i connected with it.

maybe ian can give his 2c? he's recorded many things. i believe he has heard your song too.

either way, i liked it. very cool indeed.
    Thanks a ton. I'm happy with it but I think I still worry about what others think. "His voice died out..." and so on. It's hard to recognize it with PJ songs because it seems like Ed can "pull it off" and make it seem like he doesn't care what other think if he's off...it's as if he has a "fuck it" attitude in that manner.
  • stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    not to sound cliche or anything, but it's the imperfections that make it perfect. as musicians ourselves we make mistakes, so when we hear it from our "favorites" or "idols" we can relate to it. we can say "damn that happens to me, I guess I'm not so bad after all." it brings everyone down to Earth; to our level where we can relate. that's what music is all about.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • Guitarhero27Guitarhero27 Posts: 2,146
    it's a cool discussion, in fact i'm gonna start a new thread re: these little mistakes....see what us gearheads can point out from listening to the albums thousands of times!

-seth
    9/29/96, 8/29/98, 9/8,11/98, 7/28/99, 8/23,24,25/00, 10/13/00, 4/15/03, 4/30/03, 7/8,9,12,14/03, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 5/4,5,13,27,28/06, 6/1,3/06, 6/19,20,22,24,25,27/08, 7/1/08, 8/4,5,7,16/08, 8/21/09, 10/27,28,30,31/09, 5/15,17,18,20,21/10, 9/2/12, 10/18,19,21,22,25/13