JACK IRONS! The man is a legend

smilehabitsmilehabit Posts: 88
edited December 2008 in The Porch
Just been playing No code for like the 945th time lol

ive thought it a million times before, but this album would be so different if it was not for Jack Irons. His style of drumming is so unique. its not a phrase i would use to secribe drumming, but there is a warmth to his style. He brought a whole new dimension to the band, I may be the only one but do any of you guys wonder how the band would have sounded on Binaural ETC had he hung around?

Matt is a great, great drummer, but for me jack will always be number one

It would be great if you guys would post your thoughts and your fav song for Jacks drumming, mine of course is In my Tree :-)
Somtimes i know, sometimes i rise,sometimes i fall,sometimes i dont,sometimes i cringe,somtimes i live sometimes i walk,sometimes i kneel,somtimes i speek of nothing at all,sometimes i reach to myself dear god

official redmosquito#3
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Well, I'll just start by saying YIELD!! Umm, yeah, Jack still sits at my #1 spot as well. Matt is a very close 2nd, Cameron is an amazing drummer and I wouldn't want anyone else at this point. Love Matt.

But Jack was (in PJ) definitely his own man, with his own style. And I agree that it probably even more shows in No Code than on YIELD, but YIELD is just my favorite PJ album overall.

Who You Are or In My Tree.
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    I know its a simple drumming song, but i always enjoy Hail Hail because of Jack's drumming. Not every bridge in a song needs a stupid drum fill, which Matt Cameron would do well to learn - Jack allows space for the bass and guitars to take centre stage with a simple unflashy beat. Which would go for a lot of the songs he's drummed on. I dont know why Cameron feels the need to fill every space with a stupid fill, but I wish he'd stop!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Agreed!
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    He was great in Pearl Jam but so is Cameron and even Abrruzazay had his time.

WHy I think he is a legend is because of Attention Dimension, for me that is (other than the first three fish maybe) the most surprisingly amazing albm by anyone related to Pearl Jam ever. Apart froma few some with bad vox (come running is awful) AD took me on a journey plane and simple. It could have been hiking with it in (on high qulaity headphones) through the Cape Breton highlands when I first heard it, but something about the music really worked for me and blew me away in terms of technical complexity.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Jack seems to have soaked up some W coast progesive jazz influences and been influenced by them, but to me it represented another proof that the pearl jam camp and releases associated with it have a certain magic that makes being a rabid fan worthwhile. His scond album is in the works.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    edved82 wrote:
    I know its a simple drumming song, but i always enjoy Hail Hail because of Jack's drumming. Not every bridge in a song needs a stupid drum fill, which Matt Cameron would do well to learn - Jack allows space for the bass and guitars to take centre stage with a simple unflashy beat. Which would go for a lot of the songs he's drummed on. I dont know why Cameron feels the need to fill every space with a stupid fill, but I wish he'd stop!

Because hes a beast thats why. I read awhile ago in an interview that Matt said he throws fills in where they normally wouldn't be. Thats his style. Matt is such a unique drummer, no other drummer plays like him.

IMO Jack is WAYYY too simple. His playing live is horrendous. He either never does a fill, and if he does, its the same fill everytime. I really don't understand his praise. Hisstudio stuff was good but his live playing is absolutely terrible. He totally sabotages Alive during the solo. Also during the bridge for Dissident for a certain live version where there would normally be some nice fills, he played nothing but a basic drum beat. It sounded pathetic. He sounds like a kid who just learned how to play drums.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    No Code and Yield are definately different drum wise than the more recent PJ albums. I liked Jack and what he contributed to the band, but my overall vote has to go to Matt. Dave A was phenomenal but something about Matt's beats are second to none.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    IMO Jack is WAYYY too simple. His playing live is horrendous. He either never does a fill, and if he does, its the same fill everytime.

But isn't a fill just that....a fill? Your putting something into a spot that wasn't there before or didn't belong? I don't want that but that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, I think Matt's a great drummer but I think he is more suited for a "heavier" sounding band (Soundgarden). Again, just my opinion.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    NJChris wrote:
    But isn't a fill just that....a fill? Your putting something into a spot that wasn't there before or didn't belong? I don't want that but that's just me.

Don't get me wrong, I think Matt's a great drummer but I think he is more suited for a "heavier" sounding band (Soundgarden). Again, just my opinion.

Coming from a drummer, a fill isnt just a fill. Matt is exceptionally better, there is absolutely no comparison IMO. His live playing is so much more diverse, matt always changes things up and does random things. Anyway i'm getting off topic, back to the topic. Jack was only good in the studio to me. With the exception of In My tree, Who You Are and Given To Fly live. those songs just sound better with him playing. (although Matt USED to play given To fly amazingly, now not so much)
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    jack is/was the shit... a true service to his field :)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    JACK IS THE MAN as evidenced by his presence on PJ's two best albums, No Code and Yield.

Who You Are and In My Tree are my favs.
    www.myspace.com
  • JACK IS THE MAN as evidenced by his presence on PJ's two best albums, No Code and Yield.

Who You Are and In My Tree are my favs.
    Don;t forget Upliftmofopartyplan and Freaky Styley
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • jeremyjeremy Posts: 409
    jack is the man...
    ''walk the bridges before you burn them down...''
    and always remember ''it's no crime to escape!!!"
  • Don;t forget Upliftmofopartyplan and Freaky Styley

Jack didn't drum on Freaky Styley.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    i was listenin to no code bootlegs this week, I loved how he held the groove down
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • PM sent.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • This is a nice thread to welcome in Monday.

MJI!

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Jack didn't drum on Freaky Styley.
    UMMMMMMM you are correct sir, I stand corrected
  • I remember seeing some footage of the '95 Australian tour (I think it might been from the thing we're not supposed to talk about) and Corduroy blew me away, and I thought Irons was great on that track.

I've not really heard much live stuff with Irons on board, but I have the impression while he might be a little more intricate than Cameron in the studio, he's just not powerful enough to trascend this live. Cameron is a power horse.

I think the 95-98 period of P.Jam seems to be in most cases people's favourite era for the band, so Irons is always held in high esteem. However Cameron I think is the better drummer, its just a shame the albums he drummed on weren't nearly as good as what came before
  • I think an arrangement can be made...contract Jack for writing the album and studio work. Matt can be the hired hand on the road.

This is the greatest idea since the Iron Gym Pull Up Bar (no pun).

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I think an arrangement can be made...contract Jack for writing the album and studio work. Matt can be the hired hand on the road.

PBM
    Fantastic Idea, we'll implement it immediately, lol

PBM
    All right, set it up. :D
    Nathan
  • PapPap Posts: 28,781
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,761
    Good thing all the threads are topped