Where to find drum tabs?

inmychildseyeinmychildseye Posts: 11
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hey guys...thanks in advance for all of the good advice. I am learning to play drums and I have a question. I am not good enough yet to do my own tabs, so where can I go to find a good selection of PJ drum tabs? Most of the "big" sites only have a couple to choose from.
"I think it might be.......me" E.V. 6/16/08 Cola. S.C.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    You can also find a lot here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ if you have Guitar Pro or Power Tab.

After playing drums for over 24yrs and knowing how to read sheet music, drum tabs seem very odd and confusing to me. I don't even know why you would need them? Just listen to the song, and if you have an ounce of talent, you'll figure it out.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    kitfoo wrote:
    You can also find a lot here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/ if you have Guitar Pro or Power Tab.

After playing drums for over 24yrs and knowing how to read sheet music, drum tabs seem very odd and confusing to me. I don't even know why you would need them? Just listen to the song, and if you have an ounce of talent, you'll figure it out.

Ditto. I've never understood. It's not like you can hit a note that's out of key.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    kitfoo wrote:

What a dismissive and contemptuous statement, to people who cannot just know what drum beats to play by listening. According to you, our OP lacks "an ounce of talent"
    Drum music is easy to read, there is just a line for each instrument, and each line runs it's own "math" to add up the beats correctly.
    So, there ar e a lot of rests notated, because drums have little or no sustain.
    Drum music, like all other forms of written music, is just a means of communication, and certainly a very useful tool to learn songs from.
    Many drummer do without, for sure, being able to learn by ear, but until that happens, why diss someone who chooses to advance their playing by using transcriptions ??
    Music is not a competetion.
  • kitfookitfoo Posts: 125
    What a dismissive and contemptuous statement, to people who cannot just know what drum beats to play by listening. According to you, our OP lacks "an ounce of talent"
    Drum music is easy to read, there is just a line for each instrument, and each line runs it's own "math" to add up the beats correctly.
    So, there ar e a lot of rests notated, because drums have little or no sustain.
    Drum music, like all other forms of written music, is just a means of communication, and certainly a very useful tool to learn songs from.
    Many drummer do without, for sure, being able to learn by ear, but until that happens, why diss someone who chooses to advance their playing by using transcriptions ??

I love people like this..."Lets bash on someone because they presented an opinion". Did you not notice the link I gave the person? And nowhere did I state that the OP lacks "an ounce of talent". Try offering advice to the OP instead of reading into and twisting what others say.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Completely neutral here, but I think what kitfoo was getting at is what I'm thinking as well...

It's actually harder to read drum music than to simply listen to the beat and copy it. It's kinda like having a conversation and writing down everything the person is saying to you and reading out loud to yourself, when you could just try to spit it back to them. My advice (FWIW):

You've got three things to hit with, 2 arms and a foot. You know what bass sounds like, you know what a snare sounds like. Listen for whether that right hand is hitting a crash, hi-hat (open or closed) or a ride. If you can count musically (1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and...) listen for which beats or fractions of beats are getting hit on, ie. is the cymbal getting hit on all 1,2,3,4 or is it on the "and" as well (eighth notes).

Just try and replicate until you get it right, that's the main thing. I PROMISE IT WON'T TAKE LONG. Slow it down if you have to and speed up as you go along (this applies for every instrument).

Also, don't worry if you can't copy it exactly the same way. Ghost notes and fills will come later. It's better to keep it simpler and keep tempo goin for the rest of the band, otherwise you could end up being the fastest drummer that no one else can play with, and that's no good.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    kitfoo wrote:
    I love people like this..."Lets bash on someone because they presented an opinion". Did you not notice the link I gave the person? And nowhere did I state that the OP lacks "an ounce of talent". Try offering advice to the OP instead of reading into and twisting what others say.

I didn't bash on you for having an opinion. I bashed because you said that "if you listen to the song, you can figure it out, if you have an ounce of talent", which directly implies that anyone who cannot, has not, including the OP. No twisting required.
    The least helpful advice that can be given to a novice musician is to be told to just figure it out.
    Did it occur to you that I might have been trying to offer encouragement to the OP to continue his search for drum tab, instead of telling him it is a waste of time, or running him down for needing it ?
    I have the same problem trying to locate drum music. It is not published for many songs. I was grateful for the links offered, but did not have any to contribute.
    Music is not a competetion.