what's he doing?

smilesometimessmilesometimes Posts: 12
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hi, I'm not a musician or gearhead, but I am curious and hope someone could help me out. In the Immagine in Cornice DVD, what's Ed doing when he checks the 8-track player after sound check? Is it even an 8-track player? (excuse my ignorance! ;))
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GushfestGushfest Posts: 56
    just recording on a self contained mixer with probably a hard drive or memory card. im not sure if he even himself knew what he was doing. haha. im assuming he was just taking separate tracks in and out.
    Stage College 03, Philly 05, Camden 06, Los Angeles 06, Los Angeles 07 (Ed solo w/ Flea and Jack Irons), MSG I & II 08, Beacon 08, Ed NYC II
  • jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    Hi, I'm not a musician or gearhead, but I am curious and hope someone could help me out. In the Immagine in Cornice DVD, what's Ed doing when he checks the 8-track player after sound check? Is it even an 8-track player? (excuse my ignorance! ;))

yeah it looks like an 8-track. Listening to the playback of something he recorded earlier. and looked like he was set up to add another track. Each track is like a layer of the song--one track is guitar, one vocal, one harmony, etc. When you record a track you can listen along with tracks (making certain ones louder or softer depending on what you wanna hear) that have been previously recorded so you can get the timing and pitch right.

hope this helps :)
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • if i remember correctly he was listening to either a tom waits' version or an earlier ed version of "picture in a frame" and trying to remember it because he was going to play it for his wife in milan i think? i remember him saying something like he "could not remember a few of the chords" or something like that. he also said that working on things like that "keeps him out of trouble." it was definitely a recording device and it looks like a 4 track my friend used to have.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • thanks, guys, that helps! I can't wait to see PJ in June in NYC! And now I'll appreciate all the "fine-tuning" that goes on behind the scenes.