Beginner Acoustic Guitar

kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 60
edited July 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Hello fans. I'm interested in learning to play guitar. Wanted to learn for many years, just now getting more into it. Nothing serious, just to pick around with some friends. Can anyone suggest some good, affordable acoustic guitars that I can look into. Brands, models, etc. I've researched this online and can't seem to find one or two (or three) that stand out above all others. Looking to spend to $150ish.

I've read reviews on Guitar Center, but nothing jumps out at me. What should I look for in a guitar? Are the sales people at Guitar Center trustworthy and knowledgeable? Probably need a fuller size for an adult.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. Sorry to take board space on a newbie question.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    $150 isnt going to get you much. Id like to see you keep that $150 and save each month to get you to the $300-$400 range. You get what you pay for. If you get a cheap POS $150 guitar is going to be hard to play and you'll lose interest. Its better to save and get something better. Id say you can get something decent starting at $300 range

Here is mine

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-CD220SCE-Dreadnought-Dao-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-513915-i1175295.gc

I like Fender necks. I have a Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul Silverburst. My Strat jsut feels better so when it came time to get an acoustic I went with Fender for the thier necks. Thats just me
  • evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
    I got a Kona for my first guitar (acoustic) I love it, still play it all the time and it sounds great and I know you can get one for about 100$ Def a great first guitar and I would recommend it. I have a cut away version in maroon, I can post the style and stuff when I get home. I love it, but rarely play since I got a Strat for xmas:) Looking to buy a Martin soon too
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 60
    Ballgame, would you say there's a noticeable difference in sound (or price) in just an acoustic version of your guitar? Is there a difference vs. the Ac-Electric version?

Thanks for your replies!
  • ballgameballgame Posts: 201
    kbuchholtz wrote:
    Ballgame, would you say there's a noticeable difference in sound (or price) in just an acoustic version of your guitar? Is there a difference vs. the Ac-Electric version?

Thanks for your replies!

No difference between the same model with and without the electronics. I guess in theory there could be because they cut wood out to fit the electronics but that’s getting a little crazy. Having the electronics has been good for me for a couple of reasons.
    Tuning
    Recordings
    Effects

I didn’t buy my because it had electronics. It was the only guitar they had left that I liked.

Everything is music is subjective. Zakk Wylde can make any guitar sound good. But to me when I say “you get what you pay for” means that cheaper guitar don’t sounds as good and more expensive guitars. It’s the parts and the labor. To keep the price down they use poor materials and no attention to details. The more you spend the better the materials and the attention to details

Also I find that cheaper guitars are hard to play. And if you don’t know how to play you may become discouraged and quit.

Go to a Guitar Center and test drive a coupe of guitars.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Time and time again, I recommend the Art & Lutherie guitars to beginners, people on a budget, and even some seasoned players. I've been playing guitar for 14 years, and I own a lot of nice stuff, but the guitar I play the most is my Art & Lutherie.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/intro.htm
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • ballgame wrote:
    $150 isnt going to get you much.

Maybe new it won't, but you can get a great guitar with $150. I bought my first acoustic, a Fender, used from a friend for $50. I put a nice set of Martin strings on it (3 years ago) and it plays and sounds great. I still play it at least weekly.
  • Uncle NeilUncle Neil Posts: 176
    Maybe new it won't, but you can get a great guitar with $150. I bought my first acoustic, a Fender, used from a friend for $50. I put a nice set of Martin strings on it (3 years ago) and it plays and sounds great. I still play it at least weekly.

You've been using the same strings for 3 years!!?? I change mine about once a month.

Anyway, I would recommend the Fender guitar start up kit at guitar center. Last I checked (a couple years ago) it was $200, and you get a pretty decent Fender acoustic with a solid top, as well as things like a tuner, peg winder, picks, a strap, a gig bag, and even a dvd that teaches you some basics. By far the best deal out there and the guitar really isn't bad, looks/sounds nice...especially for the price.
  • Uncle Neil wrote:
    You've been using the same strings for 3 years!!?? I change mine about once a month.

Yep, I change all my electrics every couple of months, but my acoustic strings are fuckin' indestructible. I keep saying I'll change them when I break one or it doesn't stay tuned well, but I can let it sit for two weeks and maybe the G string will be a few cents out of tune, the rest are dead on. I don't know if it is because there isn't as much tension on them as normal since I keep it in D-standard or what.
  • kbuchholtzkbuchholtz Posts: 60
    Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. A lot of info to absorb.
  • Tuolumne MamaTuolumne Mama Posts: 1,210
    My son learned to play on my first guitar a Cortez now called Cort-CA made Considering I paid $75 for it in 1974 and we only replaced the fret board and strings and it still sounds great I got my money's worth. I eventually got a Gibson and my son has a strat, Les Paul jr 58 reissue, and gibson flying vee. He still picks up the cort (been playing since he was 6) when he's trying to work a song out or new techniques.A used good guitar is a great idea if someone who plays can check it out with you. Good luck.
    ======================================================================
    "What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal." Albert Pine.

FoxyMHMama wrote:
    A used good guitar is a great idea if someone who plays can check it out with you. Good luck.

That is a great piece of advice, especially about bringing someone with you to hear/play it...whether the guitar is used or not. A guitar is a guitar to a beginner or someone that doesn't play, but an experienced player knows that every guitar is different and knows a good tone from a bad/flat/whatever else type of tone.
    Yep, I change all my electrics every couple of months, but my acoustic strings are fuckin' indestructible. I keep saying I'll change them when I break one or it doesn't stay tuned well, but I can let it sit for two weeks and maybe the G string will be a few cents out of tune, the rest are dead on. I don't know if it is because there isn't as much tension on them as normal since I keep it in D-standard or what.

Hey, if it aint broke, don't fix it I guess. I just love the sound, and especially the feel of new strings.