Thinking about picking up guitar

12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
edited August 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
As some of you may know (probably not haha) I'm a drummer. I've been playing for almost 2 years and love it. For quite awhile I have been thinking about learning how to play guitar also. Just on the side, so I can get a better understanding of well whatever. Yesterday I was at my freinds and decided to randomly pick up his brothers guitar and look up guitar tabs for Corduroy. Keep in mind I had/still have no understanding of the guitar whatsoever. So I looked at the intro to the song and basically guessed around what the tabs meant. It was pretty easy. So basically after 15 minutes I knew how to play the intro all the way up until the chords come in. And when I mean "knew how to play", I meant "terribly".

So today I started looking up cheap guitars and found this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special-Electric-Guitar-103125316-i1148535.gc?mode=1&sort=2&qso=3
(and yes, I was influenced by eddie. you know, cuz he's such an incredible guitarist :D)

Im only looking to spend 200 dollars at most. I just wanna have something I can pick up anytime and play whenever. the drums are my main instrument.

Any opinions/ recommendations?
5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
8/7/08, 6/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Most guitar players would recommend that you start with an acoustic guitar. It doesn't require an amp, you have to learn good technique to start out with, and it's how the guitar players before us made us learn.

That said, a Tele guitar will be a great choice to learn on. Almost any player will feel comfortable with a Tele in their hands, it's just one of those guitars that "fits".

I would recommend looking at a used Fender that was made in Mexico (usually says on the front or back of the headstock), which would be right about your price range. The Squiers are not terrible, but the Mexican (MIM, for Made In Mexico) Fenders are a step up in quality. Also, Squiers have terrible resale value... like a Hyundai car, they're not a bad value, but you'll have trouble selling or trading it in. A MIM Fender will hold it's value... especially if you buy it used, you're almost guaranteed to be able to sell it for what you paid (unless you trash it).

You can do eBay searches for MIM Fender Tele, Mexico Fender Tele, or Mexican Fender Tele, and you're likely to get some results. Also, look around on Craig's List in your area and see if you find anything there (you can see it before buying, and no shipping costs!).
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • You could do a lot worse than listen to any advice that MIG or Pacoma79 (sp?) give you.

Worked for me.
    ;)

And here's a second voice for the "get acoustic first" crowd. Takmine makes some good geets in that range. Used you could find a few things for $200. Play 'em first though. Acoustics have ALL sorts of diff sounds, and you don't want some panzy ass auditorium guitar if what you like is big beefy dreadnought style, and vice versa.

Look around on this forum, there are a few threads about "PJ songs for beginners" ... Corduroy definately fits the bill. maybe RVM, Not For You, Satans Bed, uh ... yeah ... do a search ... lol.

;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It depends on what ya want, but I agree on the Tele suggestion..

Having said that, I'd start with the acoustic!

Either way, we'll all be willing to give advice! This is the 'nice' part of the forum:p
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I got a black tele like that and it sounds superb. I love it more than any other expensive tele I've played. I'd learn on an acoustic, though...
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    The thing is though, I'm probably (most likely) getting a Mac computer soon and I would like to hook that up to the computer and record some stuff using garage band. So I wouldn't be able to do that with an acoustic. Plus My freind basically gave me his amp so I already have one technically. I dont think I would want an acoustic.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    The thing is though, I'm probably (most likely) getting a Mac computer soon and I would like to hook that up to the computer and record some stuff using garage band. So I wouldn't be able to do that with an acoustic. Plus My freind basically gave me his amp so I already have one technically. I dont think I would want an acoustic.

Acoustic/electric then. ?
    I play bass primarily, but that's the type of guitar I own and have been getting better on.... works great for whatever the situation.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    So today I started looking up cheap guitars and found this:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special-Electric-Guitar-103125316-i1148535.gc?mode=1&sort=2&qso=3
    (and yes, I was influenced by eddie. you know, cuz he's such an incredible guitarist :D)

Im only looking to spend 200 dollars at most. I just wanna have something I can pick up anytime and play whenever. the drums are my main instrument.

Any opinions/ recommendations?
    Nice guitar . . . if you change out the hardware, pickups, and neck :D
    Squiers can be quite dodgy from one to the next, so make sure you bring
    someone along to play it before you buy it - meaning don't mail order this
    or it could take you 5 or 6 returns before you find one that plays decent.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Ian's right. Especially if you're learning guitar, you want it to be comfortable. If you get a guitar that is a bad build or a bad fit for you, it will make playing unenjoyable.

On the Squier note, the one Squier Tele that I did happen to play at my local shop sounded pretty good for being a $200 guitar. I just picked it up, played Betterman, then looked at the headstock and was pleasently surprised to find out it wasn't a Mexican Fender Tele as I had thought. Definitely try to find a buddy who plays guitar or at the very least, someone (seemingly) honest at your local shop who will help you find one that works for you.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    good point. Ill probably have my friend who plays go with me so he can tell me whats good/bad.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • I was lucky- I mail ordered BOTH my strat and tele(the tele was on ebay)and I've never been happier with the sound.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy