panhandling?

jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
Live in the DC area and was thinking of panhandling on the mall with a friend playing some PJ/DMB/jack johnson songs.

Anyone ever do this before?

Really its just always something I've wanted to do because I love playing guitar/singing and its a free audience. Suggestions of songs to play are welcome.
Merriweather '00
East Troy '03
Boston I '04
Pittsburgh '06
Lollapalooza '07
DC '08
MSG I & II '08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    for the record i'm well off financially. is there a better word to describe this activity? i'm just playing in public for the pure enjoyment of it with an open case. i could care less if people give me anything
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • IDgotIIDgotI Posts: 262
    jmccue7 wrote:
    for the record i'm well off financially. is there a better word to describe this activity?

Busking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busking
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    jmccue7 wrote:
    for the record i'm well off financially. is there a better word to describe this activity? i'm just playing in public for the pure enjoyment of it with an open case. i could care less if people give me anything

as long as you won't get arrested for it go for it, live performance is fun. The more you play the better you'll be at it.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    I absolutely love musicians playing in public places :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Panhandling is actually a crime (the law differs from city to city), but in most cities it’s just a misdemeanor.
    You usually only get a citation (between $50 & $200) - however it can also be punishable by 30 days in jail.

Permit Required
    Generally. Any person panhandling in the restricted geographical areas described below is
    required to be in possession of a solicitation permit, issued by the City Treasurer, at all
    times and can be asked to show said permit to any person that asks.
    Restricted Geographical Areas. Persons are restricted from panhandling in certain
    geographical areas without a permit. Examples include:
    • Main Street Mall and its connector streets
    • Public Parks, Golf Courses, Schools, and Playgrounds
    • Municipal or Governmentally Owned Offices
    • Public Library Facilities
    • Public or Dedicated Thoroughfares
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • jmccue7jmccue7 Posts: 119
    busking.. yeah thats what i'd do. Apparently panhandling just refers to begging--definitely not me. I just wanna play.
    Merriweather '00
    East Troy '03
    Boston I '04
    Pittsburgh '06
    Lollapalooza '07
    DC '08
    MSG I & II '08
  • I guess the issue is the getting the money in a cup part.

It can't be against the law to go out and play an instrument in public...right?
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    DC has more than its fair share of both begging and busking. I lived in the city during the height (depths) of the Marion Barry era, homelessness and begging was at a peak.
    Back on track, if you live in town, then you have a sense of where to go. Simply playing music is the least obtrusive form of collecting money in public IMO.