christmas gift for me

thecorythecory Posts: 290
edited December 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
hi all, I'm looking for an amp for Christmas. i've been playing a little over a year and right now I have a line 6 spider 3 15w. My guitar is an epiphone les paul. it was $400 I think. Should my next investment be an amp? For example If I want to play a club type show or garage show, I think I can use my guitar but I'd need a better amp. I kind of want a 65w but I don't know what brand. I like crunchy. Like a niel young 'harvest era e.g. 'hurricane', type sound ... or the white stripes, nirvana, live pearl jam type sound. or am i not ready for a 65w? I just think if I get a 30w I;m gonna have to go bigger soon anyway. Lastly, the only effects I have are boss ds1 and a crybaby. Instead of an amp should I ask for a pedal board? Thanks for your help friends!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Well, based on what you said, the weakest point in your setup is the amp. Your guitar is fine, Epiphones are really good guitars. And you're right, a solid-state 15-watt amp like the one you've got is not going to be loud enough to play with a band or jam with friends.

I'm going to warn you that a lot of folks are going to tell you to get a tube amp. That's not a bad idea (all I own anymore are tube amps, and that's true of most guitar players) but I don't think you're there yet. There are a few tube amps that would work well for you, and they are worth checking out. The Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Delta Blues 210, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and Fender Blues Deluxe amps all would be reasonably affordable tube amps that would be loud enough to play a show or jam with friends.

If you wanted to stay solid-state, a bigger Line 6 amp would make some sense, as you already know how to use their stuff. I also like the Peavey TransTube stuff, but not the ones with digital effects built in. You'll need at least a single 12" speaker and 50 watts of tube power to jam or play a show; really, 80 to 100 watts solid-state would be best. Solid-state amps put out different levels of sound at their respective wattage ratings compared to tube amps, so even though the tube amps I recommended have 30-40 watts each, they're about as loud as an 80-watt solid-state amp.

If you gave us a price range that you wanted to use, we could probably come up with better recommendations.

Also, get a footpedal tuner. Korg Pitchblack or Boss TU-2. It'll be the best investment you'll ever make if you're going to take electric guitar seriously.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.