Pedal: To Buy or Not to Buy?

TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
A friend has offered to sell me his Ibanez FL301-DX Flanger for £40. I really like the way it sounds (the most important point, of course) and from looking on the Internet, this seems like a good deal, as it's an original rather than a re-issue....but I don't really know much about pedals and which ones are good quality and what is a good price etc. Any advice? Before he offered I was thinking about putting my pennies towards a new phaser but maybe this opportunity should not be missed if it's especially good?!
Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• It's tough to fit flanger into a song. It is indeed a good price for that particular model but it's by no means the be all and end all of flangers. If you're looking into buying other effects then I'd go for that; they'd be more versatile. I struggle to use my flanger at all these days.
  • It's tough to fit flanger into a song. It is indeed a good price for that particular model but it's by no means the be all and end all of flangers. If you're looking into buying other effects then I'd go for that; they'd be more versatile. I struggle to use my flanger at all these days.
    I love Ibanez flangers
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • I love Ibanez flangers
    So do I; I have an FL9. The FL301-DX doesn't have a delay time knob if I recall. This loses it major versatility points, and on that basis alone I wouldn't get it. I got my FL9 for £45 and I've seen them go for less than that; just keep an eye out on eBay.
  • I got an FL-9 for pretty cheap. The value is through the roof
  • Personally, I'd save for a good phaser instead. Admittedly, some flangers can be quite versatile and do modulation effects overlapping what you hear on other pedals: for example, you can get a bit of chorus, or if your flanger has a negative/positive switch, you can get a vibrato sound. (I don't know the Ibanez flanger, though.) However, you'll be likely to use a phaser a lot more, and it'll give you a swoosh that beats a flanger's jet sound. Just my opinion
  • Personally, I'd save for a good phaser instead. Admittedly, some flangers can be quite versatile and do modulation effects overlapping what you hear on other pedals: for example, you can get a bit of chorus, or if your flanger has a negative facility/switch, you can get a vibrato sound. (I don't know the Ibanez flanger, though.) However, you'll be likely to use a phaser a lot more, and it'll give you a swoosh that beats a flanger's jet sound. Just my opinion
    There's someone on this board selling a Phase 90...hint hint hint...ONLY$45....HINT HINT HINT....
  • TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
    Thanks for your thoughts. After a bit of debate, I think I'm going to hold out for a phaser instead. It is, afterall, what I wanted in the first place and I would probably still want one even if I got the flanger - but by then I would have already spent 40 quid!
    Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...