First gig tonight, eek!

TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
edited October 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
My new band has its first gig tonight. Never played guitar on stage before; in other bands I've always played bass. Nervous as hell! Just been out and spent £7 on batteries so no hopefully no pedal issues, at least. Just wanted to share my excitement although it's currently being overridden by the nerves!
Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    That's awesome man. Good luck!
  • dustdust Posts: 133
    That is cool, good luck for tonight! I just recently started playing rhythm on stage with my band so I totally get the nerves thing. Have a beer first.....
  • TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
    Thanks!

Will be laying off the alcohol til afterwards I think - need a clear head and I'm a bit of a lightweight!
  • billyruffbillyruff Posts: 534
    Right on ..Have fun and play safe ...no wait thats for shagging...
  • Very cool, good luck, and keep us all posted.

By the way I've been doing it for years, and I still get nervous. It never goes away. Keeps it real!
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • ezyrydrezyrydr Posts: 55
    if you've never played out before here are a couple things that might help you feel more comfortable goin into it:

-expect it to sound different than practice. you'll be really surprised when you get up there at how different things will sound. you might have trouble hearing certain instruments or yourself or whatever but just be prepared for it and don't let it distract you too much.

-just pretend you're jammin with your band. ignore the fact the audience is there. showmanship will come eventually but again, for you first gig, don't let the crowd distract you. it'll come off more natural if you're clickin with the band instead of paying attention to how or if people are watching you.

-are you running your own sound or do you have a sound guy? if you're doin it yourself then have someone you trust out in the audience let you know if someone is too loud or not loud enough. it's one less thing you'll have in your head while you're playing.

-have fun. if you mess up just go with it, don't make a nasty face at the guy who screwed up...most of the time you and the guys in the band are the only ones who will notice a mistake, don't make it easy for the crowd to see your mistakes. realize that playing music is about having fun and who cares if you hit a wrong note here or there, hendrix hit wrong notes here and there.

-wear a cool shirt.

that is all
  • ladygooddivaladygooddiva Posts: 4,169
    i wish you good good luck !!!
    so how do you guys sounds ?
    keep us updated !!!!!
    and if something unexpected happen ..keep cool you play live...
  • ezyrydr wrote:
    if you've never played out before here are a couple things that might help you feel more comfortable goin into it:

-expect it to sound different than practice. you'll be really surprised when you get up there at how different things will sound. you might have trouble hearing certain instruments or yourself or whatever but just be prepared for it and don't let it distract you too much.

-just pretend you're jammin with your band. ignore the fact the audience is there. showmanship will come eventually but again, for you first gig, don't let the crowd distract you. it'll come off more natural if you're clickin with the band instead of paying attention to how or if people are watching you.

-are you running your own sound or do you have a sound guy? if you're doin it yourself then have someone you trust out in the audience let you know if someone is too loud or not loud enough. it's one less thing you'll have in your head while you're playing.

-have fun. if you mess up just go with it, don't make a nasty face at the guy who screwed up...most of the time you and the guys in the band are the only ones who will notice a mistake, don't make it easy for the crowd to see your mistakes. realize that playing music is about having fun and who cares if you hit a wrong note here or there, hendrix hit wrong notes here and there.

-wear a cool shirt.

that is all

Pretty much what I was going to say but I would have forgotten about the shirt part! Nice!

Take some deep breaths before you go on and try to keep your head about you, especially for the first few minutes. You don't want to come out of the chute playing three times as fast as the rest of the band! :D
    Try to listen to the drummer and bass and keep yourself focused and locked in.
    Hendrix made LOTS of mistakes! Just keep on moving after a mistake. If you bungle a note, that note's gone. Don't try to chase it!

Enjoy the moment! I love live performing much more than studio stuff because I like the spontaneity and unexpected, I guess.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

I have done it before (including in tonight's venue) but I have always played bass until now so it's a new experience to some extent and for some reason I feel more pressure! I think it's largely pedal failure fear (seen it happen to guitar players in both my other bands) hence the new batteries and lead-checking - at least I have done all I can to prevent it. Of course, the fear of major fuck-uppage by any of us is also there but I think the point about imagining it's a jam and trying to just relax and not focus too much on the audience is a good one when you're nervous. At least I'm not singing; that would be worse because more people are looking at you!

Someone we know is doing the sound so that should be ok although I never totally trust someone else to get it right!

Cool t-shirt already sorted! :-)

For now we are just doing some punked up covers - only been together a short while and this gig was pretty short notice!

Right, best be off! Thanks again and will let you know how it goes!
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Have a blast!
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dust wrote:
    That is cool, good luck for tonight! I just recently started playing rhythm on stage with my band so I totally get the nerves thing. Have a beer first.....

Maybe two if it won't affect your playing. Best of luck to you tonight, my friend. I'm sure you'll do great!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Maybe two if it won't affect your playing. Best of luck to you tonight, my friend. I'm sure you'll do great!

When we play out and have a long set, I usually have 2 before we go on. I don't get a buzz, but it calms me down and I can focus.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
    punked covers sounds cool ..i see you from uk cool
    so keep us ubdate ???
    so you are playing in two bands?or two bands before ?
    you played bass and now ?
    sorry but sometimes i am blond...
  • TinyFists wrote:
    My new band has its first gig tonight. Never played guitar on stage before; in other bands I've always played bass. Nervous as hell! Just been out and spent £7 on batteries so no hopefully no pedal issues, at least. Just wanted to share my excitement although it's currently being overridden by the nerves!
    You'll be awesome. Use the emotion and nerves in your music. Goodluck with the batteries-many-a-times have I had pedals die because of batteries (TAKE THAT, DIGITECH!)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    You should take the £7 you spent on batteries and put it into a 1-Spot adapter: http://www.visualsound.net/1spot.htm
    Here's the UK version: http://www.lytpedalboards.com/products/1spot-9v-power Then you can get yourself a Multi-Plug
    Daisy-Chain to link them all. It's far cheaper than batteries within a few gigs, and you won't have pedals die on you, or
    even start loosing tone in the middle of the gig because your batteries are running lower in power than at the gigs start.
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    You should take the £7 you spent on batteries and put it into a 1-Spot adapter: http://www.visualsound.net/1spot.htm
    Here's the UK version: http://www.lytpedalboards.com/products/1spot-9v-power Then you can get yourself a Multi-Plug
    Daisy-Chain to link them all. It's far cheaper than batteries within a few gigs, and you won't have pedals die on you, or
    even start loosing tone in the middle of the gig because your batteries are running lower in power than at the gigs start.

"break a leg" works too. ;)
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    One more piece of advice.........

warm up !!

I went on cold the other day, and it really showed. I was ready to start playing by the end of our set.
    Music is not a competetion.
    punked covers sounds cool ..i see you from uk cool
    so keep us ubdate ???
    so you are playing in two bands?or two bands before ?
    you played bass and now ?
    sorry but sometimes i am blond...

Two other bands before this that ever really did anything. I was on bass in those but have now returned to my first love - guitar.

The update: it was a triumph! We played really well with no equipment disasters and no mistakes (not that I heard, anyway)! My happy buzz was slightly spoiled by someone who came straight up to me afterwards and said 'yeah...you need to smile more'. Right. Other than him, everyone was really enthusiastic and I don't *think* they were only saying it to be nice. The other bands who played were really good too so a very enjoyable night was had by all!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Didn't get here early enough to wish you well, but it sounds like you rocked out. It's always good to get the first one out of the way. If all the person could find to criticize you for, was you didn't smile enough, you must have done a hell of a job.

Good stuff.
    well that sounds so great ..congrates !!!!
    so when is your next one ???
    anything plannd yet?

p.s.
    i play bass too but since long long time i didn t
    and my first l.... are still drums..
    Thanks!
    well that sounds so great ..congrates !!!!
    so when is your next one ???
    anything plannd yet?

p.s.
    i play bass too but since long long time i didn t
    and my first l.... are still drums..

Yes, apparently last night someone offered us a gig supporting her band in a few weeks' time. (Er, in Kings Lynn. Not quite sure what the vibe is there....we shall see!). We want to start working on our own songs now. I already have several up my sleeve so I am quite excited (although you probably wouldn't know it since I don't smile ;) ).

Cool, you play drums. I wish I had learned them as well! What's your style?
    TinyFists wrote:
    Thanks!

Yes, apparently last night someone offered us a gig supporting her band in a few weeks' time. (Er, in Kings Lynn. Not quite sure what the vibe is there....we shall see!). We want to start working on our own songs now. I already have several up my sleeve so I am quite excited (although you probably wouldn't know it since I don't smile ;) ).

Cool, you play drums. I wish I had learned them as well! What's your style?

wow that sounds so upcoming ...as more you support ..as more people get to know you and that s mostley all about .... right???
    do nt forget to keep us ubdated..
    by the way what is the name of your band ...
    yes do that ..it is the best you can do ..do ya thing :):)

my style i would say glam-newmetal-punk ...
    but i had to stop drums so i play bass
    but threre i have to find a way
    bec. of my handicap
    to play
    so i guess i will never have the chance to playin an audience :(:(
    but to play is cool...
    wow that sounds so upcoming ...as more you support ..as more people get to know you and that s mostley all about .... right???
    do nt forget to keep us ubdated..
    by the way what is the name of your band ...
    yes do that ..it is the best you can do ..do ya thing :):)

my style i would say glam-newmetal-punk ...
    but i had to stop drums so i play bass
    but threre i have to find a way
    bec. of my handicap
    to play
    so i guess i will never have the chance to playin an audience :(:(
    but to play is cool...

In the interests of anonymity, I would rather not say ;)

I'm sorry to hear that - but it's great that you have kept at your music and not given up, even though it sounds like it's not always easy for you.
    TinyFists wrote:
    In the interests of anonymity, I would rather not say ;)

I'm sorry to hear that - but it's great that you have kept at your music and not given up, even though it sounds like it's not always easy for you.

i understand ;)
    ...it is ok ...just say i had much much luck ...i try my best ..out of it ...