Anyone got any pedals modified by robert keeley?

DjangoDjango Posts: 152
edited March 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I thinking of send me Boss TR2 tremolo to get the keeley modification. Is it worth it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    One of my friends has a Proco Rat modified Keeley and he swears by it, has nothing but praise for Keeley and his work. So yeah, go for it. I would, but it's a little inconvenient/expensive to send a pedal off from the UK to Keeley...
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    I was looking at getting the TS-9 keeley mod...is that one worth it? I'm just an amateur, so would it really be worth the extra $

Also, what about the keeley compressor?
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The Keeley BD-2 Blues Driver MOD is Great.

- Ian
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Totally worth it, for the volume control alone. And Ian's right, it is.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    I have had a Keeley Rat and it was outstanding. I also bought Exhausted's Keeley BD2 Phat Mod which was also excellent. He does good work.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • I have a Ts9 mod plus and its pretty great.
    I miss you already, I miss you always
    I miss you already, I miss you all day
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    I have had a Keeley Rat and it was outstanding. I also bought Exhausted's BD2 Phat Mod which was also excellent. He does good work.

and then i bought another one. keeping this one.
    exhausted wrote:
    and then i bought another one. keeping this one.

ahhh...but I'm always on the look out for Crazy Gregs Crazy pedal blowout sales.....:(
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    I got both the Keeley modded TS 9 and BD 2 and both are amazing. I definitely recommend Keeley. He does great work.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    TS-9 and BD-2, they were both well worth it.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    ahhh...but I'm always on the look out for Crazy Gregs Crazy pedal blowout sales.....:(

i did just sell my OCD, for twice what i paid for it. booya!!!
    exhausted wrote:

nice, I did earn a little on both my Keeley's and with the dollar the way it is now.. I think I've made about 100 bucks or so on the EGDM :D

Well done.
  • exhausted wrote:

Wait a minute, you got rid of your OCD? Um whats in it's place now? Mind you I still go with amp drive 90% of the time, but even I can't let go of my OCD.

As for Keeley, yup, JAVA BOOST is next on thet list, unfortunately $228 is tough to swallow.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    Wait a minute, you got rid of your OCD? Um whats in it's place now? Mind you I still go with amp drive 90% of the time, but even I can't let go of my OCD.

As for Keeley, yup, JAVA BOOST is next on thet list, unfortunately $228 is tough to swallow.

the OCD was way too scooped for me when i went back to it after using my homemade amp-sim pedals. the eq just wasn't right for me anymore.

in it's place i now use any number of things but mostly my marshall bluesbreaker clone or my runoffgroove professor tweed and a runoffgroove peppermill boost.

the OCD was just sitting so i moved it to help pay for my AC15.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    I'm still using both of my Keeley-modded TS-9's, the Plus mod and the Baked mod. Both are amazing, and exactly what I wanted. The Plus is just a slightly better tubescreamer, but the Baked is exactly what it's supposed to be: a tubescreamer with *BALLS*. Put the two of them together (and maybe my old DynaComp) and it's all the gain I'd ever need. Mind you, I like to run my amps near the breakup point to begin with...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • exhausted wrote:
    the OCD was way too scooped for me when i went back to it after using my homemade amp-sim pedals. the eq just wasn't right for me anymore.

in it's place i now use any number of things but mostly my marshall bluesbreaker clone or my runoffgroove professor tweed and a runoffgroove peppermill boost.

the OCD was just sitting so i moved it to help pay for my AC15.

Understandable
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I have the BD-2 and the TS-9, both awesome.
  • Dogman3Dogman3 Posts: 330
    What would the Keeley mod do to my TS9DX and the modes it has?
  • samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Improve them. Duh.
  • DjangoDjango Posts: 152
    Django wrote:
    I thinking of send me Boss TR2 tremolo to get the keeley modification. Is it worth it?

When you start quoting yourself you know your in trouble.....anyways I was reading about the C4 modification for the TR-2. It basically involves removing a little silver bit from inside the pedal. Sound has improved alright, there's more life in it.

This is from Harmony Central

I bought this pedal to get a "warm-and-fuzzy" feel for the softer songs by my indie rock band. First plug-in, and I felt like the pedal fails. I noticed a definite output level drop when the pedal was turned on. At first I figured that I was imagining things, as the pedal was MADE to swell or alter the output, but I clarified this by turning the rate/depth knobs all the way off, (which causes the pedal to do nothing) and the output was in fact lower.

The actual tremolo effect itself seemed to be dry and boring, almost as bad as some low-end digital effects. I took the time to research the pedal online, hoping I just got a defunct one... which is when I found out about the C4 mod!

HERE IS HOW YOU PERFORM THE C4 MOD:
    Materials:
    (1) Phillips-head screwdriver
    (1) Bowl or cup (you don't want to lose any screws)
    (1) Pair of small scisors, wire cutters, or nail-clippers.

-Take the battery out of your pedal, and/or unplug it from a wall outlet adapter.
    -Unscrew the bottom 4 screws from the pedal, and put them in your cup or bowl.
    -Take the bottom panel and plastic covering off underneath that.
    -Pull out the circuit board, keeping in mind you will have to pull out at an angle so the 9v adapter box can slide out of its hole with ease.
    -Locate the larger of 2 small "silvery pillow" objects (capacitators, if you know what they look like) and cut/clip both leads from the circuit board.
    -Tape the C4 inside your pedal somewhere so that you don't lose it. (Encase you decide that you hate a good sounding pedal, you can solder it back in.
    -Put the circuit board back in, replace the plastic cover, screw the bottom panel back in, and you're done!

Benefits of the C4 Mod:
    -No output drop when the pedal is on
    -Warmer, more vintage tremolo sound (think 60's/70's psychedelic records)
    -Less "hiss" from the TR-2 in your pedal chain

SOUND QUALITY RATING:

WITHOUT THE C4 MOD: 4

WITH THE C4 MOD: 9

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Boss/TR-2+Tremolo/10/2