Woo Hoo! I bought a new amp.

westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
edited April 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I have a bunch of tube amps (Mesas and Fender), and Line 6 stuff. I like both the amps and the modelers. But Line 6 brought out a new amp that has a power section designed by Bogner and a preamp that is a digital but has tubes in the circuit, sort of like the old ADA MP-1 (I wish I still had mine). I picked up the 2X12 model, 40W via two 6L6s (it comes with 5881s, but I am going to change them to 6L6s), and two Celestion V30s. Can't wait to make some noise.
To pie I will reply
But mr. justam
is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I hope you like this Mr Pie. I played one when I was going to look for a wah, but sadly the guy set in on digital cheese, and I did not like it
    There is a great therad on teh geat page about thsi, strated by a mod, so people were nice.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    I hope you like this Mr Pie. I played one when I was going to look for a wah, but sadly the guy set in on digital cheese, and I did not like it
    There is a great therad on teh geat page about thsi, strated by a mod, so people were nice.

I can never tell in shops what an amp will really sound like. I always have to take them home. I looked around on the The Gear Page, amps and cab forum. I couldn't find the thread. However, I can suspect how it pretty much went. I have lot of tube amps, so I know tube tone. The Spider is a tube amp. I am actually finding it to be a nice middle ground between modeling amps and "all" tube amps. You can find a million threads about how bad Mesa amps sound. They just some time to learn how to dial in sounds. This amp is the same way. You can make it sound good or bad. So far, I am finding I really like it.

One thing I forgot, like other tube amps you do have to crank up the master and cook the power tubes to get the best out of the amp. I have also run my Recto preamp through the power section. It really sounded nice.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
    Nah, I'm one of those who thinks I can get pretty good tone without needing power tube OD.
    I do like it loud enough to get that interaction between guitar and amp happening, but pre-amp OD with a nice power section is fine by me.
    The thread on the gear page was a while ago now, so it's probably on about page 20 by now.

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to gear. If it works for you , tehnit works. I manage to get nice sounds out of my Mesa gear, though strangley, I struggle most with my Lonestar, which is probably the most universally liked Mesa amp. Just goes to show how personal it all is.
    I'd like to hear a clip. I was planning to do another one this weekend, probably In Hiding since I seem to have that pesky pre-chorus section sorted.
    It could be fun to do a wee tone comparison.
    Nah, I'm one of those who thinks I can get pretty good tone without needing power tube OD.
    I do like it loud enough to get that interaction between guitar and amp happening, but pre-amp OD with a nice power section is fine by me.
    The thread on the gear page was a while ago now, so it's probably on about page 20 by now.

I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to gear. If it works for you , tehnit works. I manage to get nice sounds out of my Mesa gear, though strangley, I struggle most with my Lonestar, which is probably the most universally liked Mesa amp. Just goes to show how personal it all is.
    I'd like to hear a clip. I was planning to do another one this weekend, probably In Hiding since I seem to have that pesky pre-chorus section sorted.
    It could be fun to do a wee tone comparison.

The Spider 2X12 has a direct recording out. I will try it out this weekend, and compare it to mic-ing the cab. The Lonestar is a nice amp. Do you know about the Boogie Board? Lot of great Mesa talk. If you do not know about it, here is the URL

http://forum.grailtone.com/index.php?sid=23b63342486a8ca51445871a07567cee

I am working on getting a good direct out sound from my Recto Recording Pre amp. Mesa says the direct outs should sound like a mic-ed guitar cab, but I do not think they do. I have to use several plug-ins in my DAW to get the sound to match the pre-amp going through a power amp and speaker.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

The Spider 2X12 has a direct recording out. I will try it out this weekend, and compare it to mic-ing the cab. The Lonestar is a nice amp. Do you know about the Boogie Board? Lot of great Mesa talk. If you do not know about it, here is the URL

http://forum.grailtone.com/index.php?sid=23b63342486a8ca51445871a07567cee

I am working on getting a good direct out sound from my Recto Recording Pre amp. Mesa says the direct outs should sound like a mic-ed guitar cab, but I do not think they do. I have to use several plug-ins in my DAW to get the sound to match the pre-amp going through a power amp and speaker.

I think I have looked at the Boogie board a couple of times, but the chat seemed a bit dense. A lot of people with no clue. I would rather the highly informed, if at times parochial chat on the Gear Page. The amp page there runs hot and strong every day.
    I currently run my Rectifier head through a recto 212, but it sounds totaly different through my H&K quad, so getting a direct sound from your pre-amp, without a cab is always going to take something extra I think.
    The easist way to nail the sound is to have another head into a good cab next to it and tweak it from there.
    I have the IIC+ and Triamp both plugged into the same stereo cab, and I can get them to sound almost identical by switching between the 2 and tweaking the knobs.
    I think I have looked at the Boogie board a couple of times, but the chat seemed a bit dense. A lot of people with no clue. I would rather the highly informed, if at times parochial chat on the Gear Page. The amp page there runs hot and strong every day.
    I currently run my Rectifier head through a recto 212, but it sounds totaly different through my H&K quad, so getting a direct sound from your pre-amp, without a cab is always going to take something extra I think.
    The easist way to nail the sound is to have another head into a good cab next to it and tweak it from there.
    I have the IIC+ and Triamp both plugged into the same stereo cab, and I can get them to sound almost identical by switching between the 2 and tweaking the knobs.

Wow, you have a IIC+. I am jealous. I am just curious, did you get it in OZ? I had a MKIII. I miss that amp. I did some recording today with Rectifier Recording Preamp. As I said before, Mesa says the record direct outs duplicate the sound of a Rectifier through a cab, but I found it not quite there. However, today I used various bits to make it sound really good. First, I used several UAD-1 plug-ins (specifically 1176 compressor, Pultec Pro EQ). This worked very well. I then tried the Line 6 Gearbox plug-in, with no amp, just the 4X12 cab simulation. Also nice. Finally, I used Guitar Rig, the same way. I have an ADA Micro Cab, but I found out it is not working. If I can get a quick web page together, I will put up the sound files. I also want to try the Behringer Ultra-G DI box.
    I agree with you about preamp distortion. However, cranking up a good tube power amp gives you a thump that is really nice. All the best.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

No, I bought the IIC+ on-line in the USA and shipped it. It has the international transformer, which was good. Ironically there was one for sale shortly after here in Oz. I'm sure I've posted pics before.
    Soundclick or acidplanet are easy place to host a clip.
    I tried doing some clips the other night, but I felt I duffed every one, so I gave up.. I have not actually listened to them yet, maybe they are better than I thought, but probably worse.
    You lost me with all the plug-in stuff, I am an analog-a-saurus. I comprende an analogue signal chain, usually inclufing complex elements like guitar-cord-amp, and that's about it.
    Soundclick or acidplanet are easy place to host a clip.
    I tried doing some clips the other night, but I felt I duffed every one, so I gave up.. I have not actually listened to them yet, maybe they are better than I thought, but probably worse.
    You lost me with all the plug-in stuff, I am an analog-a-saurus. I comprende an analogue signal chain, usually inclufing complex elements like guitar-cord-amp, and that's about it.

Thanks for the Soundclick/acidplanet sites. I will look into them. What are you using to record? I am using the software program Logic. Plug-ins are like effects pedals, but they are software emulations of hardware. Inside the recording program you "insert" a plug-in in the signal chain to change the sound. I was using software emulations of various speaker cabinets to improve the sound of the record outs from the Recto Preamp.
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

Thanks for the Soundclick/acidplanet sites. I will look into them. What are you using to record? I am using the software program Logic. Plug-ins are like effects pedals, but they are software emulations of hardware. Inside the recording program you "insert" a plug-in in the signal chain to change the sound. I was using software emulations of various speaker cabinets to improve the sound of the record outs from the Recto Preamp.

Hi, I'm surprised you didn't know about those hosting sites. I know what plug-ins are, just have no clue or desire to know how to use them. No need really, that's what the acres are for.
    I have a wee Zoom H4 which has on-board mikes, and lets you do an ambient recording direct to MP-3. It also has XLR inputs, and came with Cubase LE software, but I have not worked out how to use it. If someone showed me, it would be fine, but really, I am indifferent to computers and can't be arsed working it out myself. I mainly use to critique my playing, which I would rather be working on.
    Hi, I'm surprised you didn't know about those hosting sites. I know what plug-ins are, just have no clue or desire to know how to use them. No need really, that's what the acres are for.
    I have a wee Zoom H4 which has on-board mikes, and lets you do an ambient recording direct to MP-3. It also has XLR inputs, and came with Cubase LE software, but I have not worked out how to use it. If someone showed me, it would be fine, but really, I am indifferent to computers and can't be arsed working it out myself. I mainly use to critique my playing, which I would rather be working on.

Yea, I have never really checked out the hosting sites, because I have access to site hosting servers at the school where I teach. I also have just been comfortable with creating my own web pages. I use Logic for my composing. One of the things I teach, usually as an independent study, is how to use DAW software. Even if you don't composer, there are lots of good reason to use it. I make arrangement that I use to improvise over. Cubase LE is good program. If you were closer, I would help you out. Say hello to MKIIC+ and play a power chord for me!
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

Yea, I have never really checked out the hosting sites, because I have access to site hosting servers at the school where I teach. I also have just been comfortable with creating my own web pages. I use Logic for my composing. One of the things I teach, usually as an independent study, is how to use DAW software. Even if you don't composer, there are lots of good reason to use it. I make arrangement that I use to improvise over. Cubase LE is good program. If you were closer, I would help you out. Say hello to MKIIC+ and play a power chord for me!

NOw, see a teacher would make all the difference to me. It's not that I'm stupid, but I could spend hours trying to learn something I could be shown in a few minutes. I had planned to do that whole lay down a rhythm track, then improv over etc, but it didn't work out easily, so I quit.
    Never mindy, Jimi and Mike and Kirk will always hang out when I need em.
    I will definitely crank up the IIC+ and play a power chord or 2, maybe even the Roam solo, or Orion, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Orion !!!!!
    A guy I know who has a small studio also has just bought a Recto pre-amp. PM me if you want his addy, you might be able to swap tips.