Help with acoustics

covered in blisscovered in bliss Posts: 1,332
edited November 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
I'm in the process of turning a small room into a music room. Not for recording or anything... just for playing. The room is 15x13 and there is a cheap berber carpet on the floor... cheap ceiling tiles (the kind that are glued down and they are painted, too)... we moved a drum set into the space and OH MY GOD, I thought my ear drums were going to pop!

I don't care about stopping the sound from travelling to the rest of the house... what can I do to help with the echo and overall piercing loudness? I was thinking about hanging some heavy curtains on the walls (I have 4 on-hand... they would cover one wall)

Any other cheap fixes? Carpet tiles on the walls or ceiling, etc?

Thanks. :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I think you can get it at hardware stores but foam bedding, like in mattresses works wonders. Also, but a blanket or two in the bass drum.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Foam mattress pads can help quite a bit. Something denser will work better... my favorite is the padding used underneath carpet. Check with a carpet seller and see if that's in your price range. Carpet tiles will work, too, as will heavy curtains, old area rugs, even heavy blankets or comforters.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I did the whole egg carton thing. My X worked at a restaurant and brought me hundreds of roughly 12"x12" squares of them. They definitely stop the sound from bouncing around so much. Maybe you could go to a Dennys and ask them for all their empty egg containers. Trust me they go through tons every day.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Good stuff, many thanks. :)