Mikes picks

JazzmannJazzmann Posts: 98
edited June 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Got hold of one at the copenhagen gig. Whats the brand of these picks? I think they are one of the best picks i've played with, and maybe there are similar pcks if the mike one's are special made?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    JoshuaTree wrote:
    Got hold of one at the copenhagen gig. Whats the brand of these picks? I think they are one of the best picks i've played with, and maybe there are similar pcks if the mike one's are special made?

Dunlops I believe
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    I doubt he would get them specially made.

I dont see why anyone would need to get a pick specially made, there's a million different styles out there, no need for a million and one, lol.
  • sustainediasustainedia Posts: 112
    dunlop tortex. i think mike uses the yellow ones.

http://www.sundialproject.com
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    from the band's former guitar tech:

eds a med light. stone is a medium, medium heavy for 'cready and heavy for ament. all use dunlop tortexs, gauge wise i'd have to look it up i think its 50something , 67, 77 100

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    JoshuaTree wrote:

You got one of his picks and you are using it?
    I guess I would keep that as some sort of memorabilia thing.
  • senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    mca47 wrote:
    You got one of his picks and you are using it?
    I guess I would keep that as some sort of memorabilia thing.

I use my pick I got from Mike too. :p
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Mike uses Medium Dunlop Tortex .88mm (GREEN) picks: click here: Dunlop Tortex .88mm (GREEN) picks
    Here's the whole lot of Dunlop Tortex Picks (pick your color/gauge): click here: Dunlop Tortex Picks
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    http://www.twofeetthick.com

Click artifactor or whatever it is. There's a GREAT description there.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    chris01 wrote:
    I doubt he would get them specially made.

I dont see why anyone would need to get a pick specially made, there's a million different styles out there, no need for a million and one, lol.

Why not? It's not very expensive at all: http://jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=52&pmh=products/picks
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Yielded wrote:

I wasnt talking about the expense, i meant it just seems pointless.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Sorry Ian,
    Unless Mike gets green ones painted yellow, when he gets the palm tree and his name put on it, he definitely uses Dunlop Tortex YELLOW.

I also use my "Mike" pick I got at Newcastle. It has his grubby fingermarks on it, as well as mine.
    I do only play PJ with it though.
    Music is not a competetion.
    Sorry Ian,
    Unless Mike gets green ones painted yellow, when he gets the palm tree and his name put on it, he definitely uses Dunlop Tortex YELLOW.

I also use my "Mike" pick I got at Newcastle. It has his grubby fingermarks on it, as well as mine.
    I do only play PJ with it though.
    Well, maybe he's changed . . .
    Here's where I get my info - just scroll down to the bottom under Everything Else (picks):
    http://www.giventowail.com/gearlist.php?who=mike&what=all
    The yellow Dunlop picks are a .73
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Well, maybe he's changed . . .
    Here's where I get my info - just scroll down to the bottom under Everything Else (picks):
    http://www.giventowail.com/gearlist.php?who=mike&what=all
    The yellow Dunlop picks are a .73

I wouldn't have had a clue if I wasn't lucky enough to have one flicked at me on the last tour. My wife has gone away on a photo shoot, so I won't have a camera for a few days, but I'll post a pic next week.
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    the yellow ones sound brighter. green is nice and mellow.

i have one of jeff's bass picks from 05.
    Okay, so according to this Pearl Jam Pick Guide . . .

MIKE MCCREADY usually uses the GREEN .88 Tortex Picks, and YELLOW much less frequently.

Looks like the YELLOW .73 Dunlop Tortex picks are typically STONE GOSSARD's picks.

- Ian
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    yep.... got me a Mike pick in Sydney last tour, and have loved playing with it ever since..... showed one of the dudes at Allens music to find out what it was and grab some more, and he matched it up with what they had in stock..... definitely a dunlop .73
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm a fan of the yellow tortex!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Okay, so according to this Pearl Jam Pick Guide . . .

MIKE MCCREADY usually uses the GREEN .88 Tortex Picks, and YELLOW much less frequently.

Looks like the YELLOW .73 Dunlop Tortex picks are typically STONE GOSSARD's picks.

- Ian

Hey Ian, I'm pretty sure that site said, yellow since teh second leg of the 2003 Australian tour, but it's no big deal
    MAybe we shold have asked what colour pick the OP has.

Shouldn't be surprised to see Mike uses a bunch of different picks over the time, i bet we all do.

Personally, I think the Totex have a turtle on em, cos they are so fucking slow. I prefer the Gator Grips, tapered tip, 10 times faster, purple or blue, depending on teh job at hand.
    Dunlop Jazz III are pretty good too, I prefer red after some time trying both.
    Tortex (1.14 or whatever-the purple ones), and Cool picks for Electric. I use Fender Medium's and Pound Picks for acoustic. I used to use Fender Heavy's for electirc but they suck now. hahah
  • who's_pearljam?who's_pearljam? Posts: 2,104
    I was at Wembley last week and Mike was throwing picks out like anything. Buru got one and after the show, I was looking at it, and it was an orange one with a palm tree on it. Definitely a Tortex.

Ok, now that doesn't mean they were HIS picks! Maybe he was throwing everyone elses out there! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Shouldn't be surprised to see Mike uses a bunch of different picks over the time, i bet we all do.

Personally, I think the Totex have a turtle on em, cos they are so fucking slow. I prefer the Gator Grips, tapered tip, 10 times faster, purple or blue, depending on teh job at hand.
    Dunlop Jazz III are pretty good too, I prefer red after some time trying both.
    Funny , I actually prefer the Gator Grip over the Tortex too.
    Lately I've been using the GG purple .71 for electric.
    Been using the GG pink .53 on acoustic for years now.
    I also like the red Jazz-III's - I used them for quite a few years.
    Then I switched to a white Pickboy Jazz (loved that), then finally switched to the .71 gator grip.
    I seem to get better pinch harmonics with the Gators.

- Ian
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Fender mediums

Maybe I'm just new, but after trying a lot of generic picks, the fenders, the dunlops, I find little to no advantage of one over the others.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Funny , I actually prefer the Gator Grip over the Tortex too.
    Lately I've been using the GG purple .71 for electric.
    Been using the GG pink .53 on acoustic for years now.
    I also like the red Jazz-III's - I used them for quite a few years.
    Then I switched to a white Pickboy Jazz (loved that), then finally switched to the .71 gator grip.
    I seem to get better pinch harmonics with the Gators.

- Ian

Maybe they do em in differnt colours in different places. Purple here is a 0.96 which I really like, but too flimsy for really fast metal. I can only pick Master of Puppets at full speed with either a Gator Grip BLue, 0.14 or a Jazz III black. The grip has a lot to do with that, as well as the tip. I like the red Tortex for acoustic, about o.5mm maybe.
    Ihave a soft soto for the "Mike" pick though. I use it just cos of what it is. I did buy another yellow one to try, and it's nice, just an all round thing.
    I also tried the green ones, cos Kirk and James use em, but I dunno how, not really one thing nor the other to me.
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    dunlop tortex. i think mike uses the yellow ones.

http://www.sundialproject.com
    All is true. I got one myself too :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
    Maybe they do em in differnt colours in different places. Purple here is a 0.96 which I really like, but too flimsy for really fast metal. I can only pick Master of Puppets at full speed with either a Gator Grip BLue, 0.14 or a Jazz III black. The grip has a lot to do with that, as well as the tip. I like the red Tortex for acoustic, about o.5mm maybe.
    Ihave a soft soto for the "Mike" pick though. I use it just cos of what it is. I did buy another yellow one to try, and it's nice, just an all round thing.
    I also tried the green ones, cos Kirk and James use em, but I dunno how, not really one thing nor the other to me.
    Dunlop actually describes them different - take a look ( click here: Dunlop Gator Grip Series )
    If you scroll to the bottom of the info section on Gator Grips, and you'll see Dunlop's description for "color and gauge".
    Anyhow, yeah the .96 is a purple color too, though Dunlop calls .96 Violet, while they call .71 Purple.
    But anyhow . . . Cheers . . .

- Ian
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Dunlop actually describes them different - take a look ( click here: Dunlop Gator Grip Series )
    If you scroll to the bottom of the info section on Gator Grips, and you'll see Dunlop's description for "color and gauge".
    Anyhow, yeah the .96 is a purple color too, though Dunlop calls .96 Violet, while they call .71 Purple.
    But anyhow . . . Cheers . . .

- Ian

Mystery solved !!