New amps....?

Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Can anyone recommend any amps with built in fx and footswitch, Im playing on a marshal avt 50 at the moment.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I wouldn't go with FX. If you're willing to spend about 700, I'd reccomend:
    Traynor YCV40
    Fender Hot Rod.

Both AWESOME sounding tube amps.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    I'd suggest buying a nice amp and an effects processor to go with it, built in amp effects usually suck.

What's your price range?
    I still wouldn't reccomend a processor.

What effects specifically do you want.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    smile75 wrote:
    Can anyone recommend any amps with built in fx and footswitch, Im playing on a marshal avt 50 at the moment.
    An amp with built in effects . . . LINE-6 -- but don't do it dude.
    Get yourself a nice tube amp, and then go for some individual stomp box's.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
  • xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Yeah, don't get built in effects. Crate has a few but they sound like poopey. I'd say get the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and some individual effects. Also, the Hughes & Kettner ATS 120 is AMAZING. It's a tube amp AND it's got a nice Footswitch board. CHECK THIS OUT!

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Hughes+%26+Kettner/ATS+120/10/1

I use this as a separate channel for some COOL overdrive.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    cheers dudes, sounds like id be making a mistake with the built in fx, thanks for the warning.
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    smile75 wrote:

If you want the amp to have built-in effects to save money, it may not save you as much as you think. As others have suggested, with a tube amp you can either get a bunch of stomp boxes or a processor. The route you take depends on the amp. Stomp boxes can be expensive. With Dual Recto, I have a pedal board with about $1,000 in boxes on it. It has an effects loop, but I hate the way the amp sounds using the loop. I also have a Hot Rod Deluxe that I modded, and I use a little Alesis effects unit in the loop, which sounds really good. You can get a used HRD for about $300. A really good effects processor is the TC Electronic G-major, which you can also get for around $300. A good Line 6 amp with built effects will cost you more. Although I prefer playing tube amps, because they respond differently than solid state or modeling amps, Line 6 amps are getting better all the time. I use a POD XT for recording, which I like quite a bit. How good the POD XT sounds live depends on the system you run it through. As a practice amp, to experiment with getting lots of different sounds, the POD XT Live is great. It also sounds very good in recordings.

HTH

....pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    If you want the amp to have built-in effects to save money, it may not save you as much as you think. As others have suggested, with a tube amp you can either get a bunch of stomp boxes or a processor. The route you take depends on the amp. Stomp boxes can be expensive. With Dual Recto, I have a pedal board with about $1,000 in boxes on it. It has an effects loop, but I hate the way the amp sounds using the loop. I also have a Hot Rod Deluxe that I modded, and I use a little Alesis effects unit in the loop, which sounds really good. You can get a used HRD for about $300. A really good effects processor is the TC Electronic G-major, which you can also get for around $300. A good Line 6 amp with built effects will cost you more. Although I prefer playing tube amps, because they respond differently than solid state or modeling amps, Line 6 amps are getting better all the time. I use a POD XT for recording, which I like quite a bit. How good the POD XT sounds live depends on the system you run it through. As a practice amp, to experiment with getting lots of different sounds, the POD XT Live is great. It also sounds very good in recordings.

HTH

....pie
    ive got loads of stomp boxes already, just thought it would be nice with everything built in,thanks for the info anyway.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,166
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

completely agreed. i went from a 3 channel laney with a processor to a marshall jcm 900 with 2 channels and some boxes, to a single channel matchless and about 7 pedals and its the most simple and best sounding rig i have ever had. once i figured how to use guitar volume as a tool to change tone i had less use for my distortion boxes and was able to use more modulation pedals.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

amen, i worked in a guitar shop for a while about 9 years ago and the co-owner got in a line 6 ( i think) stack amp, put on about threee of the effects at once and all you heard was a wall of digital hiss, he didn't even plug a guitar in to it and sent it straight back

leeds 26/08/06....electric
    paris 11/09/06.....crushed...but estatic
    wembley 18/06/07.....oh yes

'listen...you can hear the sustain...you just hold that note and you can go get a bite whilst its still going'

the legend , nigel tufnell
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I think the most commonly recommended amp with built in effects is a Vox with Line 6 being a distant second. but yeah, outside of a built in drive channel and reverb, I would go for pedals rather than onboard effects. and like others said, I would steer well clear of effects processors. in my experience, most of them suck.

also, what kind of music are you mostly looking to play? I like Fenders and Traynors, etc, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend if you're playing really heavy music. a Fender is good for cleans, blues, classic rock, and some grunge. not so much on the metal stuff though unless you can pedal it up.
    smile75 wrote:
    ive got loads of stomp boxes already, just thought it would be nice with everything built in,thanks for the info anyway.
    It is NOT nice to have everything built in. Multis sound like shit most of the time and aren't as versitile as a board full of pedals is.
  • westsidepiewestsidepie Posts: 627
    MLC2006 wrote:
    I think the most commonly recommended amp with built in effects is a Vox with Line 6 being a distant second. but yeah, outside of a built in drive channel and reverb, I would go for pedals rather than onboard effects. and like others said, I would steer well clear of effects processors. in my experience, most of them suck.

also, what kind of music are you mostly looking to play? I like Fenders and Traynors, etc, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend if you're playing really heavy music. a Fender is good for cleans, blues, classic rock, and some grunge. not so much on the metal stuff though unless you can pedal it up.

I would agree that MOST modelling amps with built in effects don't sound as good as other choices. However, I don't agree that multi effects processors, such as the G-force and G-Major, suck. These can be really great, with the right amp. I use a G-major with my rack setup, which has a Mesa Recto Recording pre-amp and Recto 100 power amp. I use a Bradshaw line mixer to add the effects in parallel. The sound is fantastic. This amp does not need pedals for distortion, and effects such as delay always sound better added later in the chain. The point is, you should decide the sound you want to get, and build the best rig to get that sound. As I said before, I use a pedal board with the Dual Recto, because they sound better with this amp than adding effects in the loop.

(I just like my multi-effects processor)

...pie
    To pie I will reply
    But mr. justam
    is who I am

"That's a repulsive combination of horrible information and bad breath."-Pickles

"Remember, death is a natural part of the workplace. So, when you see a dead body at work, don't freak out, just ring your death bell." "ting"-Toki Wartooth
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I would agree that MOST modelling amps with built in effects don't sound as good as other choices. However, I don't agree that multi effects processors, such as the G-force and G-Major, suck. These can be really great, with the right amp. I use a G-major with my rack setup, which has a Mesa Recto Recording pre-amp and Recto 100 power amp. I use a Bradshaw line mixer to add the effects in parallel. The sound is fantastic. This amp does not need pedals for distortion, and effects such as delay always sound better added later in the chain. The point is, you should decide the sound you want to get, and build the best rig to get that sound. As I said before, I use a pedal board with the Dual Recto, because they sound better with this amp than adding effects in the loop.

(I just like my multi-effects processor)

...pie

I haven't worked out how to use anything in a loop yet. I just run all of my pedal in a chain up front. I don't use anything that should be in a lop nayhoo. Wah, delay, Rotoshpere, whammy all sound better up front.
    A lot of guys put the Rotosphere in a loop to cut down on hiss, but I only use it on clean, so not a problem for me.
    Music is not a competetion.