Boss ds1

Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
edited July 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ive got this boss ds1 destortion pedel, every time i use it it gives off a kind of earth buzz, anyone know why this is?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    Yeah...it's the pedal I think. I moded mine. I put up the link somewhere on here but that mod helped take the buzzing away and made it SO much more powerful. Are you using batteries or a power source?
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    Yeah...it's the pedal I think. I moded mine. I put up the link somewhere on here but that mod helped take the buzzing away and made it SO much more powerful. Are you using batteries or a power source?
    Im using a power source.

mod?
    If it's a power source, you might get interference from other pedals. Yeah, Lemme find the mod
    http://diy.erikhansen.net/ds1.htm

I did the one at the bottom pf the page.
  • JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    hey I'm actually about to order the parts to mod my ds-1

here's a site you may be interested
    http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html#DS1DRectifier

just scroll down and see the different mods they offer.
    But these are kits, you have to pay to get the instructions -- if you want to source the parts yourself you can just buy the instructions for $10 although that's kind of expensive for just simple instructions, I think it'd be cheaper buying the kit.

The reason your pedal sounds like that is because boss uses cheap quality components to save the consumer money, or it could also be due to your power supply. Try it with a battery and see if that makes a difference, if not it's probably due to what I mentioned first.
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    All seems a bit complicated,think i might buy a new pedal,any suggestions?
  • lukin321lukin321 Posts: 864
    I was thinking about picking one of these up pretty soon but I might have to pass if this is a common problem. I definitely don't have any modding skills!
    9/1/98, 8/9/00, 8/12/00, 4/11/03, 4/12/03, 4/13/03, 4/19/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04, 10/3/04, 10/8/04, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 10/30/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016
    smile75 wrote:
    All seems a bit complicated,think i might buy a new pedal,any suggestions?
    It's really not that difficult, if you can use a soldering iron somewhat well, you can do these mods.
    If you look on the boss's circuit board, it'll have a number and letter next to each component -- for example, the diodes are marked d1, d2 and so on, resisters are r1, r2, r3 and so on, capacitors are c1, c2 etc.

So if you look at the link xtreme posted, you'll see it says stuff like "c1, c2 are replaced with capacitor X" you just locate those components on the board, desolder the old ones, and put in the new ones.

Just make sure you plug it in and test it out after each component you replace, this way if you make a mistake you'll know exactly where it is.
    I agree, it's very easy and a good way to start. Not all BOSS pedals have this problem either.
    Alright I just opened up by ds-1 and replaced d4 and d5 with two red 3mm led's.
    Was just a quick experiment since I had a bunch of led's lying around.
    Anyways, this definitely added some output to it. My main problem with the pedal before was it had such little output, this definitely fixed that.
    I'll be performing some more mods on it in the near future, either those kits I linked you to or the one in the link xtreme posted, if you want I'll let you know how they go.
    I'm thinking replacing those resistors and capacitors with better quality components will fix that "earth buzz" you're describing.
    Yeah, please let us know how they go.