Gibson vs PRS

keepVHSalivekeepVHSalive Posts: 30
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
??????
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    When I think of PRS, I think of Mike Einziger(incubus). My girlfriend's dad has a double cut quilt top and it sounds great but I like Gibson LP's and SG's a lot better. Both are about as heavy as a semi-truck though. PRS has so interesting sounds but Gibsons are amazing in their sound too...DAMN YOU FOR MAKING ME THINK SO HARD ;)
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    The nice thing about PRS is that you can get both Gibson and Fender sounds from these guitars.
    Especially if you go with the PRS McCarty Model, which has really incredible sounding humbuckers
    (for that real Les Paul vibe) and coil taps for that Fender single coil vibe).

I don't know how many of you know this, but Ted McCarty was president of Gibson during its golden period
    (CEO of Gibson Guitars from 1948 to 1966), and he collaborated with renowned guitarist Les Paul in the
    early '50s to develop the solid-body guitar into the Les Paul model, arguably the most famous electric guitar in history.

Ted McCarty presided over 1950s Gibson Les Paul Standards, Flying Vs, Explorers, ES-175, and ES-335s
    which are considered to be some of the most valuable fretted instruments in the world today.
    Anyhow, if you haven't played a PRS McCarty you're missing out - it's a very nice guitar.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    Very interesting post. I feel like PRS is more about an image and Gibson is more about a history. I know PRS guitars are excellent guitars, yet when i see someone playing one, i [figuratively] shake my head. It's just that everytime i see a guitarist playing a PRS i think... "He's gotta be one of those guitarists that feels like PRS is the creme of the crop so he got one to make him look better." I feel like PRS guitars are for guitarists that have a lot of money to spend, yet don't know much about good guitars.

To be perfectly honest, a PRS Hollowbody would probably be the perfect guitar for me to get the sound I'm after, yet I'd steer away from them because I'd feel like a "typical" PRS player. Personally, I blame Nickelback and Creed for this. Thank you Chad Kroeger for being an absolute tool.
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
    Very interesting post. I feel like PRS is more about an image and Gibson is more about a history. I know PRS guitars are excellent guitars, yet when i see someone playing one, i [figuratively] shake my head. It's just that everytime i see a guitarist playing a PRS i think... "He's gotta be one of those guitarists that feels like PRS is the creme of the crop so he got one to make him look better." I feel like PRS guitars are for guitarists that have a lot of money to spend, yet don't know much about good guitars.

To be perfectly honest, a PRS Hollowbody would probably be the perfect guitar for me to get the sound I'm after, yet I'd steer away from them because I'd feel like a "typical" PRS player. Personally, I blame Nickelback and Creed for this. Thank you Chad Kroeger for being an absolute tool.
    However, the price of a really nice Les Paul is actually more than a good PRS.
    Think about all those LP Customs, Supremes, Reissues, Ect with a Price tag of $3000, $4000, $5000, $6000, and up.
    I miss my PRS McCarty because it played soo well and I could get so many good tones out of it.

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    The nice thing about PRS is that you can get both Gibson and Fender sounds from these guitars.
    Especially if you go with the PRS McCarty Model, which has really incredible sounding humbuckers
    (for that real Les Paul vibe) and coil taps for that Fender single coil vibe).

I don't know how many of you know this, but Ted McCarty was president of Gibson during its golden period
    (CEO of Gibson Guitars from 1948 to 1966), and he collaborated with renowned guitarist Les Paul in the
    early '50s to develop the solid-body guitar into the Les Paul model, arguably the most famous electric guitar in history.

Ted McCarty presided over 1950s Gibson Les Paul Standards, Flying Vs, Explorers, ES-175, and ES-335s
    which are considered to be some of the most valuable fretted instruments in the world today.
    Anyhow, if you haven't played a PRS McCarty you're missing out - it's a very nice guitar.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

Actually, there are two totallly conflicting stories about teh develpment of the LP. McCarty's version is that he and a product development team worked hard for a year to get teh design right. Lester's story is that it was all his brainchild in one go. I'm inclined to believe McCarty's version, as it not only has more credibility, but comes from a guy with ongoing credibility.
    Les Paul basically did invent overdubbing though, and made a handy career out of it.

AS to the thread, I like the overall design and finish of PRS guitars, and their upper fret access sure beats lesbians, but I have not seen one that I hve fallen in love with. I find the individual elements very appealing, but find they fail to combine into a greater whole.
    Even a 513 I looked at with a Brazilian rosewood neck failed to excite me, the industrial look of the pups clashing with the neck and the ugly gold control knobs.
    Compared to a monster top LP, they just aren't as exciting.
    Music is not a competetion.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I have a PRS Custom 22 and love it. My Main guitar is a Standard American Strat, but I have the PRS for when I want the humbucker sound. It has gorgeous clean and dirty tones and the neck plays great.

I feel sorry for anyone who associates it with Nickelback or Incubus (although I don't really mind Incubus). I associate it with Jane's Addiction era Dave Navarro, Chris Haskett from the Rollins Band, Dickey Betts from the Allman Bros., and Carlos Santana (I know his music sucks now, but he still has a great tone).
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    When I think PRS, I think Mike Einziger (Incubus) and Santana. That said I don't really have a problem with PRS, I just don't know if I'd ever get one. MAYBE if I had some money and I already got my dreams (Fender American Deluxe, 61 SG, 59 Bassman and a Mesa Boogie) then I might consider trying one out, like this one:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-Custom-24-Guitar?sku=519908

or this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-Guitars-CE-24-Maple-Top-Electric-Guitar?sku=519914
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • I just see PRS as a better version of Gibson. They actually change details in their guitars and try to improve rather than living off their name.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    and Carlos Santana (I know his music sucks now, but he still has a great tone).
    Santana's tone comes more from his $20,000 Dumble amp - lucky bastard.
  • ianvomsaal wrote:
    Santana's tone comes more from his $20,000 Dumble amp - lucky bastard.
    I saw him play a few years ago with Wayne Shorter with that thing. Sounded great and that thing's a beast!
    I love that opening note on Abraxas! Gibson and Mesa Boogie,,, and fingers!
    I filled in as a guitar player in a band that opened for Carlos in the late 90's and he was fun to watch on sound check. He walked around on stage and played, and let his guitar feedback, and he picked out the sweet spots on stage and put tape on the floor to mark them. Then when he was playing in the show, sure enough, he'd walk over to the spot and you could hear the sweet spot kick in. He's got a great ear and sense of sound and a really really nice guy.

I like Gibsons AND PRS's. A LOT of players use PRS's, not just the guys that people don't like! I just saw the Indigo Girls, and Emily Saliers was playing a few PRS ones. Al Dimeola, I saw Delores play one with the Cranberries, and Derek Trucks had one last year.
    I love their hollow bodies, and the McCarty too. I miss my McCarty, too, Ian. Great piece!
    The only PRS I still have is an old bolt on neck EG series, with Humbucker/ Single Humbucker arrangement, and a coil split switch. It's STILL an amazing guitar after 15 years.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Looking at teh Vintage guide, theya re like $24000.
    What makes them so special ???

So they are hand wired, etc etce tc, so are lots of others including my Bad Cat etc. I'm mildly confused as to what makes people pay this much for these things.

CAn anyone illuminate me ??
    PS Suggestions that I shove a torch up my ass are OK, so long as I get a sensible answer some time .
    Music is not a competetion.
    What is it with these amps ???

Looking at teh Vintage guide, theya re like $24000.
    What makes them so special ???

So they are hand wired, etc etce tc, so are lots of others including my Bad Cat etc. I'm mildly confused as to what makes people pay this much for these things.

CAn anyone illuminate me ??
    PS Suggestions that I shove a torch up my ass are OK, so long as I get a sensible answer some time .
    I answered this on your DUMBLE???? posting :D . . .