Les Paul vs. SG

keepVHSalivekeepVHSalive Posts: 30
edited April 2007 in Musicians and Gearheads
i think les paul
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • the link dont work will u try it again please thanks
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    Depends what you are after, Les PAuls have fatter tone and much more sustain, but 22 frets and the upprefret access takes a littel practice and is always a bit restricte on high bends.
    SG's have 24 frets and with teh double cut-away have awesome upper fet access. That set-up makes teh neck hang right off the body creating a different relationship between hand and fret positions, which some folk don;t like.
    I hve both and I had bnevere noticed that until someone pointed it tout though, so I thkit is a minor issue.
    SG's MUCH lighter of course !!
    Music is not a competetion.
  • I'd probably take a LP but I've never owned an SG before sooo...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I like LP's tone, but just don't like the feel. They just don't sit right.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=387&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=1958+Standard&orderby=model%2C+hits+DESC&volltext=
    les paul for me^

i love the tone of sg, but to me they looks as ugly as hell(unless its a custom shop sg w/ maestro, those are ok looking)
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
  • i have an sg and a les paul standard and a les paul custom. IMO the custom blows them both out of the water. i love the les paul tone and the weight of the thing reminds me that i am playing a large hunk of wood. my sg sounds thin and does not break up on a single channel amp as well without using a distortion pedal. people have their preferences and for too many reasons to list mine is a les paul.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    I like Both (I own a few of each).
    There's only a couple SG's with 24 frets, most have 22 frets (though SG's do have easier upper fret access).
    I’m kinda split, though personally most of the time I prefer the LP – just something about it.
    Though my 1971 SG1 has the "best neck" I've ever played.
    The next guitar I build will have a neck modeled after that '71's neck - I'm torn between the two.
    Play them both - use your pedal board and amp to decide what fits you best.
    Don't let us make that decision for you - most of the time it’ll be split down the middle.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    I like LP's tone, but just don't like the feel. They just don't sit right.

You gotta change the strap length. LP's need a slightly shorter strap than a double cut like a strat etc.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    Les Paul. Especially the Custom Shop Pete Townshend one.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    You gotta change the strap length. LP's need a slightly shorter strap than a double cut like a strat etc.

I just mean sitting down. Against all better judgement I may try one more crack at one next time I'm at Steve's (music store).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    seanw1010 wrote:
    http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=387&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=1958+Standard&orderby=model%2C+hits+DESC&volltext=
    les paul for me^

i love the tone of sg, but to me they looks as ugly as hell(unless its a custom shop sg w/ maestro, those are ok looking)

Sean where in NJ are you from?
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I say both.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    moster78 wrote:
    I say both.

ditto
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i have an SG standard and an LP custom and much prefer the SG.

the weight and neck access are bonuses but i just prefer the sound and character of the SG. the only thing i've done to mine is put a P94 in the neck.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,282
    I don't own either, but I prefer playing an SG.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    one of each, who discriminates against guitars? :)
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
  • I'll take the SG, its lighter and has a unique tone. I love mine, wouldn't trade it for a Les Paul.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    Sean where in NJ are you from?
    north hunterdon, you?
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    I love to play Dissident on my Les PAul, jsut love those wailing bends, adn the November Rain solos, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeend !!!!!!!
  • DontGotIDDontGotID Posts: 137
    les paul for sure. I know the weight can be alot but the tone is so classic. Always sounds so dayum good
  • Les Paul vs SG

The winner DEFINITELY is of course, without a doubt, undeniably with no hesitation,

uhhhh,,, both! :D

My favorite neck is my 68 SG Standard. I bought that new in 68, and that thing has been with me through it all! I love that thing, and it's ready for its 4th fret job.

I love Les Pauls, too. I've had a bunch over the years, and the one I have now is a Les Paul Classic 1960 model. It has a 1960 neck, and I love the feel of it.
    People look down on Classics for some reason, but I love working with the downtrodden and forlorn underdogs and getting them to sing.
    I got it for $900 a year ago, and I switched out the pickups to a couple of Lindy Fralins for $240 bucks and it rocks better than all the $3000 + /historic reissue/ signature / Custom shop/ Limited Edition models I've seen.
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart