2 Band Auditions

Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
edited December 2008 in Musicians and Gearheads
I got 2 band auditions coming up in mid January when I get home from visiting family in the States. Wish me luck. Since I'll be away visiting family for about a week does anybody have any tips on how to be prepared for the auditions when I get back? It's not like I can play the guitar 4 hours a day while I'm visiting family for the holidays!

Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Just sneak a back room, Andy, haha. That's what I did. Good luck, man. I'm sure you'll knock 'em down!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • the best way to be prepared,is... find out all you can about the band and learn as many of their songs as you can. if they see that they will have to spend as less time rehersing because you allready know the songs, it will be a big plus for you.
    good luck!!
  • the best way to be prepared,is... find out all you can about the band and learn as many of their songs as you can. if they see that they will have to spend as less time rehersing because you allready know the songs, it will be a big plus for you.
    good luck!!
    +1
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Thanks guys!
  • Yeah, one easy way to build rapport fast with a new band is to learn songs that you know that they know... you know? Be able to jam on something the rest of them already play, be it a cover or an original.

The only other thing I can say is to be yourself, and try to be relaxed or close to your normal state. Don't be drunk or high, don't get nervous, don't be a dick or get confrontational. Being in a band takes playing music together PLUS being able to tolerate each other personally. Be the kinda person the band could see spending a lot of time around, and that will help. A lot of good musicians get turned down at auditions because they don't gel personally with the rest of the band. It's like trying to find a girlfriend/boyfriend: you want someone who's hot AND is the kind of person you could spend half your day with.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Yeah, one easy way to build rapport fast with a new band is to learn songs that you know that they know... you know? Be able to jam on something the rest of them already play, be it a cover or an original.

The only other thing I can say is to be yourself, and try to be relaxed or close to your normal state. Don't be drunk or high, don't get nervous, don't be a dick or get confrontational. Being in a band takes playing music together PLUS being able to tolerate each other personally. Be the kinda person the band could see spending a lot of time around, and that will help. A lot of good musicians get turned down at auditions because they don't gel personally with the rest of the band. It's like trying to find a girlfriend/boyfriend: you want someone who's hot AND is the kind of person you could spend half your day with.
    Yeah, mccreadyisgod nailed it. That's a reason why a lot of the past bands I was in failed-we all loved to make music but we all weren't friends. Mainly, the band members were friends with me, first but then, with eachother, the personalities clashed. Also, make sure you all have the same or similar goals. That's a big thing. If they're wanting to pick up and move to wherever to get big but you wanna stay home and treat the band as a hobby instead of a career, it's gonna pose a problem. Be you, and it's okay to be a bit nervous. Feed off the energy and put it into your music. Like I said, we've seen you grow from the ol' pit. I continue to wish the absolute best of luck!
  • Jam10Jam10 Posts: 654
    Yeah, one easy way to build rapport fast with a new band is to learn songs that you know that they know... you know? Be able to jam on something the rest of them already play, be it a cover or an original.

Yeah, mccreadyisgod nailed it. That's a reason why a lot of the past bands I was in failed-we all loved to make music but we all weren't friends. Mainly, the band members were friends with me, first but then, with eachother, the personalities clashed. Also, make sure you all have the same or similar goals. That's a big thing. If they're wanting to pick up and move to wherever to get big but you wanna stay home and treat the band as a hobby instead of a career, it's gonna pose a problem. Be you, and it's okay to be a bit nervous. Feed off the energy and put it into your music. Like I said, we've seen you grow from the ol' pit. I continue to wish the absolute best of luck!
    Thanks guys for the support and tips!